Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Years of being Diamond trump Fare Class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Years of being Diamond trump Fare Class?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.8MM, IHG Spire Elite
I was told by a collegue who is also a Diamond that someone at the Diamond line told him that Diamonds were ranked by their spend on everything not just airline tickets. It sounded a bit odd as he said it played into priority for upgrades on international flights.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by DeltaFirst
I was told by a collegue who is also a Diamond that someone at the Diamond line told him that Diamonds were ranked by their spend on everything not just airline tickets. It sounded a bit odd as he said it played into priority for upgrades on international flights.
Spend is definitely going to become a factor for upgrade priority.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Hyatt
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Misinformed agent. It still is Elite Level, then Fare then AMEX Reserve then Date Requessted.
I have a friend who is fairly high up in the Marketing Dept. of DL and he has told me that the AMEX Reserve does not impact a passengers standing on the upgrade list. I don't know for a fact that this is true, but I can't find where DL has put it in writing anywhere over the past few years.

[I]I have been a Diamond since the beginning, wife toggles between Plat/DM. We rarely fly together but when we do, sometimes she is upgraded first, sometimes me.[/I]Quote

I have had this happen before, but it appears that my wife (GM) booked our flights using her DL app and I was listed as an additional passenger. Our PNRs were linked, meaning we would upgrade together, but on the list she was ahead of me. When I book them together she is always right behind me.

I did find that you can separate passengers on the same PNR (whether you want to or not) by checking them in separately. Often I check in on my iPhone and get my boarding passes, while my wife does the same on her phone. When we do this, our rank on the UG list varies greatly
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by DougSkymiles
I have a friend who is fairly high up in the Marketing Dept. of DL and he has told me that the AMEX Reserve does not impact a passengers standing on the upgrade list. I don't know for a fact that this is true, but I can't find where DL has put it in writing anywhere over the past few years.
Your friend may want to study up on that.

Per AMEX - Delta Reserve Card Benefit Terms:
Upgrade Priority on Delta: Increased Upgrade Priority within Medallion tier and fare class is applicable only to primary Card Member and within the Complimentary Medallion Upgrade Program. Airport Paid Standby Program and Mileage Award Upgrades are not eligible.

https://www304.americanexpress.com/p...4#cardbenefits
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by PRWeezer
Your friend may want to study up on that.

Per AMEX - Delta Reserve Card Benefit Terms:
Upgrade Priority on Delta: Increased Upgrade Priority within Medallion tier and fare class is applicable only to primary Card Member and within the Complimentary Medallion Upgrade Program. Airport Paid Standby Program and Mileage Award Upgrades are not eligible.

https://www304.americanexpress.com/p...4#cardbenefits
As he said, "see if DL Corp will give it to you in writing...they won't."
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
As he said, "see if DL Corp will give it to you in writing...they won't."
Effectively, they have:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...dit-cards.html

David
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by DiverDave
David,
Therein lies the mystery. DL's credit care partner might say it, but DL Corp will not put it in writing. It is not mention in the SM Medallion Upgrade T&Cs either. Not arguing, just don't believe it is a factor from what I've been told, and my expectation that he is in a position to know.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
David,
Therein lies the mystery. DL's credit care partner might say it, but DL Corp will not put it in writing. It is not mention in the SM Medallion Upgrade T&Cs either. Not arguing, just don't believe it is a factor from what I've been told, and my expectation that he is in a position to know.
It's right there on a page linked directly from delta.com. In my book, that constitutes DL putting it in writing.

I recommend that you provide your friend with that link, and you suggest to him that if the information is wrong that it needs to be fixed. I would think we would all want that, eh?

Thank you,

David
Old Oct 21, 2014, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by DiverDave
It's right there on a page linked directly from delta.com. In my book, that constitutes DL putting it in writing.

I recommend that you provide your friend with that link, and you suggest to him that if the information is wrong that it needs to be fixed. I would think we would all want that, eh?

Thank you,

David
My conversation with him about this was over a year ago, and I only ask because it was being heavily discussed on this forum. It's not that important to me , whether the AMEX Reserve helps or not. I guess we can all just believe what we want about how it actually works. Thanks
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Another example of either a phone agent who doesn't know and doesn't know what he/she doesn't know OR a phone agent just making up stuff to save time or avoid having to find out an answer.
Thursday I was told by a phone agent that she could not put me on the SB list because it was "full." Really? The SB list can be full? She said that when these lists get too long, the system will not allow any additional SB customers. I wanted to argue, but was in a hurry, so called back and talked to someone else who actually knew the rules...
Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by funflier
Thursday I was told by a phone agent that she could not put me on the SB list because it was "full." Really? The SB list can be full? She said that when these lists get too long, the system will not allow any additional SB customers. I wanted to argue, but was in a hurry, so called back and talked to someone else who actually knew the rules...
This is crazy. The list is ordered by status, etc., not just time of request. Someone could easily be added late and be entitled to the #1 position on the list. It sounds like the agent just didn't want to bother, or maybe he/she decided that despite DL's priority rules, the person on the list the longest should get it. I've had gate agents decide this and refuse to add me to the list because those who were already on the list deserved the seats, regardless of DL's rules on standby.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
How do you jump from Silver to Silver to Silver? Also, even assuming that you were DM in the first year of DM (charter), I don't think there have been enough years since then for all those jumps.
One too many Silvers at the end the list (sorry). I meant I stayed Silver. I looked back at my files and saw 2005 S; 2006 S; 2007 G; 2008 P; 2009 D; 2010 G; 2011 S; 2012 G; 2013 S; and 2014 S (I was between G and S in a number of years before that while living in China). Joined SkyMiles sometime in the 1970s, so all my miles in the 1960s didn't count.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
My conversation with him about this was over a year ago, and I only ask because it was being heavily discussed on this forum. It's not that important to me , whether the AMEX Reserve helps or not. I guess we can all just believe what we want about how it actually works. Thanks
As your friend is in a position to know, policy is easily searchable on DeltaNet.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by PRWeezer
As your friend is in a position to know, policy is easily searchable on DeltaNet.
Since I can't access it, I assume you are correct. But he didn't say it as if he wasn't sure, and might need to research it.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by relangford
One too many Silvers at the end the list (sorry). I meant I stayed Silver. I looked back at my files and saw 2005 S; 2006 S; 2007 G; 2008 P; 2009 D; 2010 G; 2011 S; 2012 G; 2013 S; and 2014 S (I was between G and S in a number of years before that while living in China). Joined SkyMiles sometime in the 1970s, so all my miles in the 1960s didn't count.
I'm pretty certain you didn't join Skymiles in the 70's, as it didn't exist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.