Wiki Posts
Search

New announcement I've never heard

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: dl platinum
New announcement I've never heard

Was on my flight back to ATL from ORD yesterday and after closing door, FA made announcement that software was detecting 5 devices not in airplane mode. My thought is she was trying to make sure that people turn phones/ipads to airplane mode. Guy next to me freaked out that they could tell that phones not on airplane. Anybody else heard this announcement?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
I'm calling b.s. on that one... on the FA, not you, lol...
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
FA's sometimes make such claims to try and gain compliance - why not it sometimes works. As we approached the gate once I heard a FA announce that her "board" showed 17 people has unfastened their seat belts and that they needed to buckle back up.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:11 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
I heard that once, by a blonde FA that was working with Deltalina (ATL-ELP) a couple years ago.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:43 am

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
Originally Posted by krlcomm
I'm calling b.s. on that one... on the FA, not you, lol...
+1. No way she has anything that tells her anything about devices not in airplane mode.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: Delta DM, SP Plat, Hilton Gold
Before airplane mode was allowed, I heard the same story along the lines of "our equipment in the cockpit shows XX cell phones are still not shut off" every few months out of ATL. I'm sure a few people turned theirs off as a result....

Waiting for the holiday season rollout of "Our Elf on the Shelf told us that...."
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: AS 75k
I'm not 100% sure if they still behave this way, but don't iOS phones (and some Android ones as well) automatically connect to any available wifi network? The gogo WAP would see X number of devices trying to connect. Of course, airplane mode doesn't turn off wifi on most phones, so I'm not sure that would make it valid.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
I'm not 100% sure if they still behave this way, but don't iOS phones (and some Android ones as well) automatically connect to any available wifi network? The gogo WAP would see X number of devices trying to connect. Of course, airplane mode doesn't turn off wifi on most phones, so I'm not sure that would make it valid.
Huh? On my iPhone, I apparently must cancel airplane mode to get on GoGo or watch Studio Delta.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: DL - DM MM / UA - PP / LH - SEN / Marriott - AMB-LTT / Avis - PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Huh? On my iPhone, I apparently must cancel airplane mode to get on GoGo or watch Studio Delta.
On iPhones, 'Airplane Mode' automatically disables WiFi and Bluetooth. But you can manually turn back on WiFi and remain in 'Airplane Mode'.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Not exactly. If you turn on airplane mode, it will turn wi-fi and Bluetooth off, but you can turn them both back on individually without turning airplane mode off.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UnderEst
On iPhones, 'Airplane Mode' automatically disables WiFi and Bluetooth. But you can manually turn back on WiFi and remain in 'Airplane Mode'.
Yep, and you generally want to leave it in airplane mode so that the cell radio is turned off. Otherwise, it will hunt for the nearest cell tower broadcasting at full power and use up your battery more quickly.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: DL - DM MM / UA - PP / LH - SEN / Marriott - AMB-LTT / Avis - PC
Originally Posted by LBJ
Yep, and you generally want to leave it in airplane mode so that the cell radio is turned off. Otherwise, it will hunt for the nearest cell tower broadcasting at full power and use up your battery more quickly.
I was going to say that, but then I'm sure we'd have someone argue that they keep their phone plugged into USB power, so it doesn't matter.

...although, it does cause your phone and its battery to get quite hot, as it's constantly working. And we all know heat is the enemy of batteries...but we'll save that discussion for another thread.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I find announcements like that annoying. But I also find noncompliant pax annoying.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I recently had a southwest flight attendant make a similar announcement, then walk up and down the aisles with the credit card reader as if it was detecting signals.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Also make sure not to pee in her pool, because she has that special dye that turns red when you pee....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.