Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New SDC Shoots Delta in the Foot, Again

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2014, 5:20 pm

If it's really Y1, then the flight you desire to move to is most certainly already overbooked. They would essentially be overbooking the earlier flight a little more, and freeing space on your overbooked flight.
There's a chance your flight is less overbooked than the one you want to move to, and Delta would be "shooting themselves in the foot" by letting you SDC.

The old SDC would allow you to move from a flight with 20 open seats to a flight that was overbooked by 8, as long as they were willing to overbook it by 9. Not agreeing nor disagreeing with either policy, but I promise you, Delta knows what they are doing.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Giving away a higher fare plus change fee for free does not "save them money".

The VDB piece is negligible. Odds are they won't take any VDBs (especially if inventory is still available).
Higher fare? The fare for the flights I'm on is over $1400; for the ones I'd prefer is around $600. And they aren't going to get any more money from me by not letting me switch; they might have to pay me.

Originally Posted by pjpoker
If it's really Y1, then the flight you desire to move to is most certainly already overbooked. They would essentially be overbooking the earlier flight a little more, and freeing space on your overbooked flight.
There's a chance your flight is less overbooked than the one you want to move to, and Delta would be "shooting themselves in the foot" by letting you SDC.

The old SDC would allow you to move from a flight with 20 open seats to a flight that was overbooked by 8, as long as they were willing to overbook it by 9. Not agreeing nor disagreeing with either policy, but I promise you, Delta knows what they are doing.
The flight I'm on is Y1. The flights I want are available in H. There's no way a $600 flight available in H is "more overbooked" than a $1400 Y1 flight.

Both the connection and the second flight alone are Y1.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
Higher fare? The fare for the flights I'm on is over $1400; for the ones I'd prefer is around $600. And they aren't going to get any more money from me by not letting me switch; they might have to pay me.

The flight I'm on is Y1. The flights I want are available in H. There's no way a $600 flight available in H is "more overbooked" than a $1400 Y1 flight.

Ah, my bad in misreading the original post. Then indeed, they would be freeing up some space. Either way, I think they are pretty good on their predictions and revenue management. If the flights are open, they will likely get some same day standby customers on, which will free up seats anyway. If there is actually open seats on the earlier flights, then you'll be able to standby for them without issue anyway.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 6:57 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I'm not guessing anything. I'm observing Y1 (because delta.com says "one seat available" and trying to book 2 seats says "not available") and the fact they at check-in they're asking for bids for VDB.

That is, Delta is predicting the likelihood of wanting me to fly on different flights, and would prefer to take the chance they'd have to pay me (tomorrow) to do that rather than reschedule me (today) to wide-open flights for free.
So you really think DL will pay VDB just because they ask for volunteers? And especially so when they are still selling a seat on the flight (Y1)? Here is your answer:

Originally Posted by davetravels
I vol for a VDB every chance I get, and I can't remember the last time I was actually needed. They've gotten VERY GOOD at managing loads, so it seems, right down to the last seat at the very last minute, so, you can bit$ch all you want about some metric you have created in your own mind, but, ultimately, your point is moot.

Do let us know tomorrow how many vols were used.

Old Oct 19, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Good luck on the VDB. DL has seemed to be very good lately at overbooking flights and not needing volunteers. Every time I read that low factors are at all time highs it seems like getting a VDB would be as easy as ever but I haven't seen them being solicited or needed in a while unless there has been a crazy weather event or a cancelation earlier in the day.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. The fact that DL is soliciting VDB bides means zippo.
2. The reason for the SDC policy is that overall, protecting the full-fare changeable brand is worth the occasional hiccup where DL winds up having to pay out something.

OP is a good example. He is unwilling to pay for the flexibility he wants. If DL gives him that flex for free, who in their right mind would pay the full fare?
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:58 pm

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum

Its also possible folks on the later "overbooked" flights SDC to the same day earlier ones which have seats available, thus making the "overbooked" flight "underbooked". What flight number are you on that may be overbooked?
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:55 pm

Revenue management systems are wildly complex. Years ago, I worked as a Revenue Manager at the flagship hotel for a nation-wide chain. We beta-tested the revenue management system that's now used in hundreds of hotels across the globe. The hardest part of the process was admitting that a computer could do my job better than I could.

A properly calibrated system will almost always do a better job of decision-making than a human. And, bear in mind, that's a human who has access to all the information. In this scenario, the claim that Delta is losing money because they're not giving the OP what he wants for free is based on the analysis of a scant few data points.

That said, it's possible that what the OP wants might actually be beneficial for Delta also. It's fairly immaterial, however, since there's no established procedure for quickly challenging revenue management decisions. I think the OP wants a Delta phone rep to say, "That makes sense, I'll waive the change fees". That's not going to happen, since Delta knows that the revenue management computers are smarter than their phone reps.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:49 am

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum
New SDC Shoots Delta in the Foot, Again Reload this Page Reply to Thread

On the other hand I once had a scheduled delay flying out of SJC and the IRROPs online tool allowed me to pick from alternate flights. Since I hadn't left for the airport yet, I picked an alternate direct flight leaving from SFO instead that was only selling Y tickets and the seat map looked full, so I rolled the dice and was able to volunteer and score a $400 voucher.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:37 am
g50

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA LTP, Hyatt Globalist, FB Plat
For every one person that wants off your flight probably two want on your flight.
Delta is saving that one Y seat for someone willing to pay for it.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I say just go for the VDB and get some money out of it, and pick routing to get some extra miles.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
You didn't *pay* the $1400 Y fare, so that's irrelevant. Just because the fare is higher now doesn't mean you're now privy to the higher fare's rules. Read the rules of your booked fare class, that's what you are entitled to.

Again, that's irrelevant. You didn't pay a Y fare. Doesn't matter if there's -249 seats available in Y. If you want to change to another flight, you'll have to pay a change fee + fare diff (if applicable), just like everyone else on restricted fares.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Revenue management systems are wildly complex. Years ago, I worked as a Revenue Manager at the flagship hotel for a nation-wide chain. We beta-tested the revenue management system that's now used in hundreds of hotels across the globe. The hardest part of the process was admitting that a computer could do my job better than I could.
I worked in RM for an airline in the late 90's. Very fun position, but alas I went back to school. Even the computer models back then were very good at their job.

First day my boss told me: "There are only two goals you have in RM:

1) Fill every possible seat
2) Get the highest fare possible for #1"
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
it's the never-ending duel between macroeconomics (how DL sets up their RM systems and business rules -- including SDC/SDS -- to work for DL as an entity) vs microeconomics (how an individual wants a particular instance of SDC/SDS to work for them at a particular time)

sometimes the two perspectives align, sometimes they don't
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: Delta DM, suffering Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jrl767
to put it another way, the confidence associated with a sample size of 1 is zero
Stealing that, thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.