Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Crap, it's starting to look like I won't make Platinum Medallion this year

Old Oct 19, 2014, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion

Haven't been flying as much for work and the the flights have tended to have fewer segments. I still need 23,000 MQMs between now and the end of the year. I can envision work supplying maybe 6-8,000 of those.

I'm ready to do some long-distance travel, but am limited in how long I can be out of the office. Tough to get away for a week these days.

What are some trips you would consider to maximize your MQMs in the current environment if you needed, say 18,000 miles.

I can certainly do some flying on weekends.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 6:13 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles PM, AA ExPlat, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
I'd suggest a round trip to Singapore!
Old Oct 19, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
BOS-JFK-NRT-SIN is about
500+6730+3330 RT is ~21,120 miles

Last edited by hnewman; Oct 19, 2014 at 6:55 am
Old Oct 19, 2014, 7:24 am

Even better if you can route yourself via the west coast or Atl if coming from the NE to Asia. Will add an extra 3000 miles or so and the cost will be ~$10 more.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
If I were the OP, I'd be searching for rt DL tickets to SIN, BKK, SYD, ROR, MNL, HKG, BOM, JNB, GUM, SPN, or TPE. Depending on routing and connections these could put you at your goal. Note that BOM would require a VISA(for a US person) if you enter India, you'd have to research if a quick turn without one would be possible.

I was in a similar position with regard to needing more MQD's prior to year's end. I found that from Central FL, SIN, BKK, MNL, and TPE were usually the cheapest. I searched using ITA and the parameters DL+ /f bc=v which only displayed multiple DL flights and V class fares.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
The OP's handle is BostonGuy but his profile shows him at BHM.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: DL Diamond, MM, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, etc
I'm kind of in the same boat with staying Diamond.

I've got the MQD covered but looks like I am going to need about 12k miles that work will not cover.

From MSP, I think I may go spend a few days in Singapore. I have friends there, I always like the place and I have 4 GUC's to burn.

I know NRT, PVG or PEK will also get me across the line and right now it looks like I can do PEK for about $1000.

I kind of hate doing a MR but the GUC for next year will be a lot more useful for my work travel than they were this year.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
If you are traveling less, then there is less reason to have "status". Speaking as someone who has gone up and down and up and down in airline status levels over the years as job roles and projects have changed, just "let it go".

For all the money, not to mention inconvenience, that you could spend on mileage running, you could redirect some of that to replicating much of what's involved in a higher status (e.g., purchase day passes to lounges, purchase Economy Comfort, pay the $85 for TSA PreCheck or $100 for Global Entry; eat real food in an airport restaurant instead of carrot and celery sticks and stale pretzels in a Sky Club).
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by andrewk829
If you are traveling less, then there is less reason to have "status". Speaking as someone who has gone up and down and up and down in airline status levels over the years as job roles and projects have changed, just "let it go".

For all the money, not to mention inconvenience, that you could spend on mileage running, you could redirect some of that to replicating much of what's involved in a higher status (e.g., purchase day passes to lounges, purchase Economy Comfort, pay the $85 for TSA PreCheck or $100 for Global Entry; eat real food in an airport restaurant instead of carrot and celery sticks and stale pretzels in a Sky Club).
Couldn't agree more. Also, if you assume you'll need to take a weekend for the MR, count the hours you'll spend on the effort and assign some houry rate value to your hours and convert to $'s. How much is your "cost" to achieve that status?
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:15 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
RT BOS-DXB via ATL. 17K MQMs in coach, and it was fairly cheap last time I looked.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:52 pm

Have you tried signing up for a Delta Platinum/Reserve card? Last I checked, they offered MQMs as a sign-up bonus.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by andrewk829

+1
Considering the reduce number of elites next year due to changes in qualification - save yourself the $1,000 and get equal service next year and accept the roll-over miles.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Give it up

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
+1
Considering the reduce number of elites next year due to changes in qualification - save yourself the $1,000 and get equal service next year and accept the roll-over miles.
I agree. This late in the year, and 22,000 miles short. I would forgot about wasting money for Plat, and be content with Gold.

While I respect those hardened flyers who do SIN runs; they aren't for me, and I suspect not too many other people either.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 6:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by slipbeer
I'm kind of in the same boat with staying Diamond.

I've got the MQD covered but looks like I am going to need about 12k miles that work will not cover.

From MSP, I think I may go spend a few days in Singapore. I have friends there, I always like the place and I have 4 GUC's to burn.

I know NRT, PVG or PEK will also get me across the line and right now it looks like I can do PEK for about $1000.

I kind of hate doing a MR but the GUC for next year will be a lot more useful for my work travel than they were this year.
Remember that PEK or PVG may require an expensive visa, which is also a hassle, but you should be able to route at least PVG to be eligible for TWOV.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Look for 1-stop trips out to the west coast and back. You can do it twice in one weekend.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.