Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What is so special about these seats on the CRJ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC

On every CRJ100/200 seats 1B, 1D, 2B and 2D are always blocked making it impossible to get 2 seats together in the first 2 rows.

This screen grab is from a DSM-MSP flight that is 331 days out and it is the same for all flights from 325 days out to 330 days out.

Why not block 2 together? What's the point of this? I end up booking 1C and 2C as Mrs. P. and I both like aisles.

Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:23 pm

Nothing is special about any seat on that bird. Avoid it if you can. That said, grab the seats and then at T-24 go ahead and make the swap. They likely block them out for disabled passengers.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
I get disabled but why not 2 together?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
the only difference between "Preferred" and generic seats on a CRJ is the nomenclature, and what you think of it

in other words, 3BC are exactly the same as 2BC except they are one row farther aft

and iirc the forwardmost overhead bin on the A/B side has a bunch of equipment in it, so your carry-on has to go over Row 2 in any case
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Part of it is also for weight and balance. If the plane isn't full they can avoid putting people in those seats. It makes the "We're looking for two volunteers" much less awkward, if people are already moved around as needed.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
Why not just take 3b and 3c?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by CabinCaptive
Nothing is special about any seat on that bird. Avoid it if you can.
Agree the CR2 is to be avoided but there is an advantage to 1B and 1C in that you can extend your feet into the galley area unless the FA is moving around. 1A and 1D to be avoided at all costs as there's no cutouts and the personal space is minimal.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: WFBF, Marriott Titanium
I also feel that those seats are preferred because they have blocked the neighboring seat. While they do go up for grabs at T-24, I've noticed that often times, the blocked seats go empty on a flight, meaning they are great for solo travelers who want an empty seat next to them (not guaranteed). Especially if you can stretch your legs in 1B/1C, it makes for a much more enjoyable flight on a not so enjoyable craft.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 4:40 am
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jrl767
the only difference between "Preferred" and generic seats on a CRJ is the nomenclature, and what you think of it

in other words, 3BC are exactly the same as 2BC except they are one row farther aft

and iirc the forwardmost overhead bin on the A/B side has a bunch of equipment in it, so your carry-on has to go over Row 2 in any case
Seats 1B and 1C have more legroom than other seats on the plane. Seats 1A and 1D have not quite as much legroom but more knee-room than seats in rows 2 back.

CRJs differ as to what's in the first set of bins. Many have oxygen equipment and/or are segmented for FA documents. But many, especially the extended versions (!), have empty bins there.

On this plane, 1B and 1C are my first-choice seats; I avoid 1A and 1D because they're cramped for my size of bodyframe. Worst seat on the plane is 14A, followed closely by 12D, 12C, and 14A. No seat reclining, no windows, engines right there, and bathroom right there. Also, my experience with row 14 is that the legroom there is less than other seats; when I've had to sit in 14A, my knees spend the entire time in direct, physical, painful contact with the seat back in front of me.

Last edited by KDS; Oct 21, 2014 at 9:54 am Reason: Additional information about row 14
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Don't some of the front rows on some CRJs have missing windows? I'm not sure whether I'm thinking of 1A or 1D and it might vary depending on the DL Connection carrier.

I try to avoid these aircraft, but I can't always do so.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:48 pm
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Don't some of the front rows on some CRJs have missing windows? I'm not sure whether I'm thinking of 1A or 1D and it might vary depending on the DL Connection carrier.

Every one of the hundred-plus CRJ200s I've been on have windows for row 1. In fact, it's normal procedure that the window for seat 1A must have its shade up during takeoff and landing so that there is a view outside the door if needed.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

most of the CR7s and CR9s have F seats that aren't particularly well aligned with the windows, but I can't think of any models with missing or blocked windows
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Like others on here, I go for seats 1B or 1C (so usually 1C if booking in advance since 1B is blocked). However, I've also experienced the frustration of wanting to assign 1A/B or 1C/D when traveling with my wife. She's much shorter than me and doesn't mind the legroom in the bulkhead window. The solutions I've come up with are to either take 1C/2C or 1A/1C and hope 1B or 1D is willing to trade like for like. Of course, that's a backup to snagging the seats when they unblock at T-24 which I got used to doing for EC seats on real planes as an FO.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:08 am

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
The reason is weight and balance. The CR2 is nose-heavy and we need to put as much weight in the back as possible. The SkyWest CR2s are very nose heavy due to a design change in the rear of the plane.

None of the CRJ's have missing windows -- unless they are so scratched by years of abuse where it's worthless (ExpressJet I'm looking at you and your decrepit CR2-AS/CR7-QX birds). If you're looking at a 9 and see blocked windows in the front, it's just the galley blocking them. The CR9-NextGen's have large windows high up where you don't have to crunch down to look out of them.

I'll fly on a 200, but it's not by choice. I'd rather have a E145 or a 900-NG. Sadly, CHQ is the only operator in the DL system with EMB135/145s.

I'd have to speculate W&B is also why the gate-blocked row is row 6 instead of the last rows in the aircraft like every other plane in the system.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does row 8 exit row even have additional room? It never feels like that to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.