Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta wins last place for NYC-LA transcons

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta wins last place for NYC-LA transcons

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette
If that were true, why does the purchase price factor into the discussion?
Fair enough.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
And I, for one, recognize that the airline has the right, perhaps even the responsibility, to try to minimize the space available.
. . .
As long as the airline publicizes complementary UGs as a benefit, I will expect that there should be some credibility behind the benefit. And, unlike the TH3 crowd, I regard UGs as having been earned... they are not gifts.
I disagree that the airline has the responsibility to minimize space available. (Simple stupid example: they discover that Bill Gates wants to fly J and will pay $100million for a ticket. The optimum play is to price J at $100million, and have lots of space available for upgrades, non-revs, etc.) FCM is good for the airline only to the extent it doesn't cannibalize Full-F purchases.

If I should happen to get no medallion upgrades because the flights I'm on are fully FCMd or have DMs on higher fares, I lose. That's life. But if there are available upgrades then they must (according to the terms of DL's program) be given out (on appropriate flights).
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by telloh
I guess I'm dumb, but can you outline the difference? JetBlue "business class" has a single seat configuration; lie flat seat; massage in the seat; 100 channel 15 inch screen; food from Saxon+Parole ..... what additions would make it less "solidly business class"?
All of the amenities you cite are standard business-class fare. Allow me to reframe the question: which elements of JetBlue's service are superior to Delta's BusinessElite offerings, elevating Mint to first class?

I'd think a lounge would be right at the top of the list.
JetBlue offers a Mint lounge at JFK, if I recall correctly.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by MS02113
JetBlue offers a Mint lounge at JFK, if I recall correctly.
It must be super-secret, since they don't acknowledge it on their website.

There are pay-for lounges available, but this would be incremental to the cost of the ticket, while it is included for their competitors.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:21 pm

But DL has trans-con with lie-flat service LA to ATL, which nobody else has. Anybody tried that vs the JFK one and can compare it?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
It must be super-secret, since they don't acknowledge it on their website.

There are pay-for lounges available, but this would be incremental to the cost of the ticket, while it is included for their competitors.
Looks like I didn't recall correctly. As you noted, the loosely affiliated Airspace lounge at JFK T5 costs extra, even for Mint passengers.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:06 pm
Suspended

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...ight/17208981/

Runner up is JetBlue. I love their new A321 aircraft, love the new Mint "first-class" service (JetBlue doesn't call it first class, but that's what it is), love the meals from Saxon+Parole, the acclaimed New York restaurant, and the free Wi-Fi.
And you can't upgrade to Mint, at least not yet, with TrueBlue points.
You can redeem TrueBlue points to get a Mint class award (starting at 35,000 points).
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by MS02113
All of the amenities you cite are standard business-class fare..
You misunderstand. I'm not arguing with you. You have said twice that the amenities in question are either "solidly business class" or "standard business class".

All I am asking is what amenities would raise the product to first class? I'm looking for knowledge, not a pissing match.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I fly LAX <-> JFK quite often and have yet to fly DL because I can't upgrade.
Spoke too soon. Just purchased JFK-LAX on the 763 mid December in I class for GBP303. Absolutely fantastic ow price. Looking forward to comparing the product against UA/AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.