Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta wins last place for NYC-LA transcons

Delta wins last place for NYC-LA transcons

Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
... People seem to assume that you have an inalienable right to UGs. Need I remind everyone that UGs are "space available." ...
Originally Posted by mridley2
... Most of us looking for a good bargain for the best experience do NOT believe we have an inalienable right to the best every time. We want reasonable access to first class based on the benefits promised by Delta. Delta does not offer this without hours of leg work. That is a legitimate complaint. You can Keep giving delta you're $3,000 for a rt transcontinental. I'm going to continue buying economy fares using legitimate, advertised, bragged about means of upgrade options confirmed by delta. ...
I suspect that most here understand that UGs are on a space available basis.

And I, for one, recognize that the airline has the right, perhaps even the responsibility, to try to minimize the space available.

But like many (mridley2 being a good example), I feel that the size of the gap between the reality and the rhetoric is becoming unseemly.

There is a risk that, at some point, the value of the trumpeted benefit will become largely illusory. But then, what is advertising other than an attempt to create illusions?

As long as the airline publicizes complementary UGs as a benefit, I will expect that there should be some credibility behind the benefit. And, unlike the TH3 crowd, I regard UGs as having been earned... they are not gifts.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by mridley2
I think you're argument is a glib response.

Consider the source. USA today. It's a generic publication that caters to any town, USA. If you want the Times or WSJ level reporting.. Subscribe like many of us and happy reading.

Clearly the author's (editor's) intent was to provide a practical review of the major carriers operating on this route. Most of us are not the 1% so regularly purchasing a full First class fare on our own dime is out of the question. Information on reasonably priced upgrade options which seems accurate on fact is pertinent to the average reader.

And many of you on this board need to get off your high horse. Most of us looking for a good bargain for the best experience do NOT believe we have an inalienable right to the best every time. We want reasonable access to first class based on the benefits promised by Delta. Delta does not offer this without hours of leg work. That is a legitimate complaint. You can Keep giving delta you're $3,000 for a rt transcontinental. I'm going to continue buying economy fares using legitimate, advertised, bragged about means of upgrade options confirmed by delta.

Your argument is like saying. The best apples this fall are Gala variety at XX1 farm in Upstate New York which is 7 hours by car. Or they have very good apples at whole foods 5 blocks away. If a produce reviewer told readers were to find the best Galas but didn't mention the location. I think most would consider that reasonably disingenuous.

Rant over.
.....and there is still shock on these boards over the introduction of MQD and reduced banked earnings from low fares. Thank you, DL for rewarding proper behavior for profitability.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
But like many (mridley2 being a good example), I feel that the size of the gap between the reality and the rhetoric is becoming unseemly.
I agree. I find the size of the gap between the reality of the situation and the rhetoric on this board to be unseemly.

Anybody that is a Medallion that is not aware that upgrades are capacity controlled is willfully ignorant, no matter what the "rhetoric" might be.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbarnette
I agree. I find the size of the gap between the reality of the situation and the rhetoric on this board to be unseemly.

Anybody that is a Medallion that is not aware that upgrades are capacity controlled is willfully ignorant, no matter what the "rhetoric" might be.
Who do you find is denying that UGs are capacity controlled?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by bubbashow
.....and there is still shock on these boards over the introduction of MQD and reduced banked earnings from low fares. Thank you, DL for rewarding proper behavior for profitability.
I second that. The thing is, I think Delta will wind up alienating the lower ranks faster then they will the higher ranks. Just as no more comp upgrades on transcons backfired on them, I think DL is treading a fine line with the MQD amounts for SM and GM.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Thing is, Delta can do whatever it wants with its rules, it says so in the rules

However, the NYC transcon. market is very competitive, so the market may impose some discipline.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Who do you find is denying that UGs are capacity controlled?
I find a couple of people denying that they were adequately informed that they are. And a couple of people asserting that there is some minimum amount of upgrades, below which DL is somehow lying, when the reality is that those people simply seem to not understand what "capacity-controlled" means.

You knew (or should have known) that upgrades were subject to availability determined by DL. You knew (or should have known) that overcapacity was an industry-wide problem. You should have inferred from the above that upgrade rates would decline over time. Getting outraged over getting exactly what you were promised (which was nothing more than an indeterminate probability of an upgrade) is, well, disingenuous.

I refuse to believe that everyone on here is as gullible and naive as they pretend to be every time something doesn't reach some pie-in-the-sky ideal that may or may not have been advertised at some point in the past. Honestly, it is transparently nothing more than a way to try and stake some moral claim to something that you don't want to pay for.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL-DM; Hertz 5 Star; Hilton Gold; Kayak hater.
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
I second that. The thing is, I think Delta will wind up alienating the lower ranks faster then they will the higher ranks. Just as no more comp upgrades on transcons backfired on them, I think DL is treading a fine line with the MQD amounts for SM and GM.
Is this a bad thing? I don't think it has backfired as much as people claim it has. I don't see a massive departure of DM's on these flights nor do I see the PAX numbers dropping. You also failed to mention that this might also thin the herd in the DM sector. Those that do not actually pay the higher fares to reach the MQD will soon find themselves in PM or GM respectively.

On my last transcon there were 10 DM's in coach. I fortunately was 1 or 2 who got RU'd at t-1. I have yet to hear the decline of DM badge chimes coming from behind the curtain.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
They should have done a study to compare J, Y+, and Y- on each airline.

From what I read, DL was dinged because they haven't finished putting in flat seats on their planes for this route and the difficulty of upgrading. As for difficulty of upgrading, DL has fewer J seats than UA and AA (even on the A321T). As a GM, I was never close to the top of the upgrade list when they went to the 16 J configuration when they allowed upgrades on this route, which I fly very rarely.
I absolutely agree that they should consider Y+. I haven't gotten any UG's since they officially ended in March, but DL has steadily improved the Y+ product so I can't complain at all. Y+ gets a snack before J gets their meal, and the snack is pretty decent. The frozen yogurt before landing is a nice touch. And if I am seated in Row 18/19 on the 752, I am usually off the aircraft before J.

I think the problem with this article is that it is trying to overgeneralize the situation to everyone traveling who might want an UG or a good deal in coach, etc. If you are willing to spend a little extra, IMHO DL is providing a superior hard product.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find a couple of people denying that they were adequately informed that they are. And a couple of people asserting that there is some minimum amount of upgrades, below which DL is somehow lying, when the reality is that those people simply seem to not understand what "capacity-controlled" means.

You knew (or should have known) that upgrades were subject to availability determined by DL. You knew (or should have known) that overcapacity was an industry-wide problem. You should have inferred from the above that upgrade rates would decline over time. Getting outraged over getting exactly what you were promised (which was nothing more than an indeterminate probability of an upgrade) is, well, disingenuous.

I refuse to believe that everyone on here is as gullible and naive as they pretend to be every time something doesn't reach some pie-in-the-sky ideal that may or may not have been advertised at some point in the past. Honestly, it is transparently nothing more than a way to try and stake some moral claim to something that you don't want to pay for.
Be careful where you point the "you."

And, please understand. I would be perfectly content if Va Ave stated on its DL.com page listing Medallion benefits that we are entitled to an "indeterminate probability of an upgrade."

Now, breathe. Slowly.

Old Oct 16, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
And, please understand. I would be perfectly content if Va Ave stated on its DL.com page listing Medallion benefits that we are entitled to an "indeterminate probability of an upgrade."
Don't give them any more bad ideas...
Old Oct 16, 2014, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by MS02113
Some of the conclusions drawn in the article are rather questionable, such as the assertion that JetBlue's Mint is a first class product. (It's solidly business class.)
I guess I'm dumb, but can you outline the difference? JetBlue "business class" has a single seat configuration; lie flat seat; massage in the seat; 100 channel 15 inch screen; food from Saxon+Parole ..... what additions would make it less "solidly business class"?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by telloh
I guess I'm dumb, but can you outline the difference? JetBlue "business class" has a single seat configuration; lie flat seat; massage in the seat; 100 channel 15 inch screen; food from Saxon+Parole ..... what additions would make it less "solidly business class"?
I'd think a lounge would be right at the top of the list.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 4:39 pm

I'd think a lounge would be right at the top of the list.
The author of the article in question says specifically in the first paragraph he is comparing in-flight amenities.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by telloh
The author of the article in question says specifically in the first paragraph he is comparing in-flight amenities.
If that were true, why does the purchase price factor into the discussion?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.