Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Cleared at Gate, then uncleared

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

I was #1 for 1 seat in F this afternoon ATL to PVD Delta 1112 out of A18 when I noticed my upgrade cleared to 1D 30 minute before the flight. When I made my way to the gate, I was told a passenger had purchased an F ticket at the last second band as a result had to downgrade me back to coach. I protested and even asked to speak to a red coat but nobody was really interested or cared.

Has this happened to anyone?!
Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
Wow, that's a bummer! You should write a letter or email to customer service telling them how upset you are, and maybe they'll give you some sort of compensation or bonus. What's your status? Your results may depend on that.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Several times, unfortunately. Did you receive an actual F boarding pass? In the past I've received downgrade compensation for this type of things.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:48 pm
formerly Mdanner423

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I think they give upgrade certificates for this kinda thing. Still bad policy to do this. Shouldn't oversell First class, you'll either be pissing off a loyal customer or a high price ticket holder, nothing good comes from that.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BumpMeVoucherMeATL
I was #1 for 1 seat in F this afternoon ATL to PVD Delta 1112 out of A18 when I noticed my upgrade cleared to 1D 30 minute before the flight. When I made my way to the gate, I was told a passenger had purchased an F ticket at the last second band as a result had to downgrade me back to coach. I protested and even asked to speak to a red coat but nobody was really interested or cared.

At least they told you before you boarded. Had to do the Walk of Shame once while enjoying a PDB coffee in F, then booted out by a redcoat.

Another time, #1 for at least 2 hrs before the flt, checked again with the SC agent and still #1. Got to the gate 5 min later, no UG. GA said there was an IROPS F pax who was incorrectly placed in Y seating.

Won't hurt to ask DL about this if it's comp you are looking for but the simple response is seats are never guaranteed.

Last edited by Sez_Who; Oct 14, 2014 at 4:12 pm
Old Oct 14, 2014, 4:09 pm

What did it show that you flew? RU?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)

Yes, earlier this year. I was using an RU for an ATL-LAX flight. I showed up in the cleared screen for a bit (Yay), then went back onto the upgrade list in my original seat.

So I went to the GA 3 times to ask separate questions as I thought of them. Firstly, what happened. I was told that some FC passengers were on the flight in coach seats, and they should not have upgraded me. Fine, no harm no foul as I was restored to my EC seat. And here, have some free drink chits which was a nice gesture although I cannot drink alcohol.

Secondly, was my RU pulled? I was assured, that no it was not.

Thirdly, was my BP still good to board? Oh yes, I was assured yet again, no problem.

Boarding time comes, and I wait for Sky Priority zone. They scan my BP and the scanner goes off like somebody just broke out of a maximum security federal prison. So I stand there for multiple minutes (is that the stand of shame?) while they fix it and I can finally board and get my same seat.

OK fine, that night I call the PM line to be reassured that the RU was not pulled. Again, I was assured it had not.

The next day I check on-line and the RU has been closed. So it takes a long phone call to the PM line to get the RU restored.

So after all of that, yes, I did call the ATL folks and ask for some compensation. And I did get a voucher for maybe $150.

I would not have asked for anything if I had merely been temporarily upgraded and then downgraded as I don't want to be in the books as a chronic complainer. But I was not able to board and my RU was pulled. I had specifically asked about both and been reassured that there was no problem.

David
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Yes, earlier this year. I was using an RU for an ATL-LAX flight. I showed up in the cleared screen for a bit (Yay), then went back onto the upgrade list in my original seat.
This is a hyper-picky reply: RU is the fare class you were trying upgrade to.
An RUC is the upgrade instrument you were using.

Thanks for the very informative post and my sympathy for your bad luck.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:13 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
This has happened to me a couple of times. Years ago, the GA in the old Interim Terminal in DCA upgraded me DCA-DFW, and then after I got in my F seat and ordered a PDB the GA gave a Flying Colonel my seat. Luckily, an FA in the back saw what happened and comped my drinks.

Earlier this year, I was going ATL-SMF and the equipment was an ex-Song 757 with 26 F seats. I was #3 out of ? for 3 empty F seats, and I got upgraded. Just as they were wheeling the wheelchair pax on board, the captain came off the flight and told the GA in a loud voice that there was a hydraulics problem and our aircraft couldn't fly. DL found another 757, but it was the old school variety with 24 F seats and no AVOD. I ran into the SkyClub and printed out my BP with an F seat assignment. When I got to the gate, the GIDS showed that I was in row 20-something in the back. I protested, but it fell on deaf ears. I waited to see if there were any no shows (there was one), but I needed two no shows to re-clear into F. The GA even made me gate check my carry-on.

The flight was even worse because one of the FAs rammed a beverage cart into my shoulder (she did try to make amends by comping me a beer).

A few months later, DL unwittingly took care of me, as my wife and I got the last two BE seats JFK-PRG on OP-UPs. So I have to take the bitter with the sweet.

I'm looking forward to happier days with the Big D now that I am back in DM territory.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Had this happen a few times, most recently when they had to reassign a F passenger due to one "out of order" seat. As I was the last to be upgraded, I was the chosen one to downgrade.

It sucks. Oh well, life goes on.

Jiburi
Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
At least they told you before you boarded. Had to do the Walk of Shame once while enjoying a PDB coffee in F, then booted out by a redcoat.

Another time, #1 for at least 2 hrs before the flt, checked again with the SC agent and still #1. Got to the gate 5 min later, no UG. GA said there was an IROPS F pax who was incorrectly placed in Y seating.

Won't hurt to ask DL about this if it's comp you are looking for but the simple response is seats are never guaranteed.
Isn't walk of shame plus PDB better than no UG?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Originally Posted by mnredfox
I hope you asked for a refill before you went back to Y!
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: Delta and Hilton Diamond
Happened to me two years ago when I was an FO. I was flying SFO-JFK and was really excited because I had my first upgrade ever and it was a good one. I was way down on the list, but they had subbed in a TATL 767 for this flight for some reason. I got on the plane, had a PFB and even placed my order for short ribs for dinner. About five minutes before we were set to leave the gate the captain came on the PA and told us that the plane wasn't going to fly because of a mechanical issue that required a part to be flown in from ATL. So we got off the plane and waited for hours before they found a replacement bird. It wound up being a 757 so most of us that got upgraded were put back into coach. Oh well. I think they gave me a couple of thousand miles for my troubles.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Oh sure, getting a PDB cup of coffee definitely made the Walk of Shame much easier. Ha, if I had known this would happen, I would have asked for a quart of Woodford instead. Hilarious.

It happened before the days of Diamond and tight capacity. Redcoat comes onboard with another pax wearing a suit just one minute before the boarding door closed. Shocked was an understatement. It was totally humiliating as I left my seat and walked to the back, certain everyone onboard was wondering why I poached a seat up front. Of course I was sure everyone on the plane was staring at me. Did they think I was a criminal, maybe a terrorist?

I did get a bulkhead aisle seat, they let me keep my suit coat in the F closet even though I was now sitting with the unwashed, DL piled on the miles, and the Y FA was extremely apologetic, offering me anything I wanted.

So to answer your question, no the tradeoff is not worth it. Very humbling, don’t wish it on anyone. The flashbacks to that day are still pretty ugly in my mind and why I have said probably 50 times on FT that seats are never guaranteed. Nothing like learning this the hard way.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Sorry you lost the upgrade but I do not feel you should receive any compensation in this situation.

I can see a legitimate complaint if your UG cleared hours/days before the flight in which case you might have made a different decision about what eats or drinks you buy in the airport.

What I do find a bit strange is when you're upgrade cleared wouldn't the fare availability have gone to F0? How could someone buy a seat with F0 availability? When I look at flights on delta.dumb right now departing within the next 30 minutes. Since upgrades have cleared, F is full so Delta is not selling F class seats on those flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.