Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Cleared at Gate, then uncleared

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Cleared at Gate, then uncleared

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by mridley2
What I do find a bit strange is when you're upgrade cleared wouldn't the fare availability have gone to F0? How could someone buy a seat with F0 availability? When I look at flights on delta.dumb right now departing within the next 30 minutes. Since upgrades have cleared, F is full so Delta is not selling F class seats on those flights.
DL is willing to overbook, so they'd still sell. (Besides, a full F fare is usually worth paying VDB for, in the worst case.)
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Won't hurt to ask DL about this if it's comp you are looking for but the simple response is seats are never guaranteed.
THIS
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: Skymiles, LifeMiles, AA Advantage
Sorry you lost the upgrade but I do not feel you should receive any compensation in this situation.

I can see a legitimate complaint if your UG cleared hours/days before the flight in which case you might have made a different decision about what eats or drinks you buy in the airport.

What I do find a bit strange is when you're upgrade cleared wouldn't the fare availability have gone to F0? How could someone buy a seat with F0 availability? When I look at flights on delta.dumb right now departing within the next 30 minutes. Since upgrades have cleared, F is full so Delta is not selling F class seats on those flights.
Maybe it could had been simultaneous changes. and if that's the case I guess money won.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:36 pm

How long before departure does DL cut off ticket sales ? I am a bit skeptical that someone could walk up and buy F 30 mins to departure - what is the cutoff time for check-in at ATL ?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:38 pm
CDF

Location: Michigan, DL Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by Mister Nice
How long before departure does DL cut off ticket sales ? I am a bit skeptical that someone could walk up and buy F 30 mins to departure - what is the cutoff time for check-in at ATL ?
I was just going to ask the same question. When I buy a ticket well in advance of a flight there are all the standard warnings/disclaimers that all passengers must be in the boarding are or on the flight so many minutes before departure. Doesn't selling a ticket "at the last second" violate DL's own policy - especially if it's within 30 min to an hour from the flight?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SHENA?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Kryptonium Medallion, Hilton HHonors Diamond
If you are a DM and buy a full-fare last-minute F ticket--it usually has special "bump" provisions if I recall.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by sethb
DL is willing to overbook, so they'd still sell. (Besides, a full F fare is usually worth paying VDB for, in the worst case.)
In my experience delta rarely over sells First. Economy sure but First? I've never experienced it.

And in the 3 or 4 sample flights I looked at delta.dumb was not selling F seats. Only M or Y fare available at T- 30 minutes. Perhaps it's different if a passenger walks up to the counter and asks a ticket agent for a last minute flight? Maybe they can override where delta.dumb follows standard delta fare class algorithms.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only other reasonable explanation IMHO is a HVC360 on a last minute F .
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Sorry you lost the upgrade but I do not feel you should receive any compensation in this situation.

I can see a legitimate complaint if your UG cleared hours/days before the flight in which case you might have made a different decision about what eats or drinks you buy in the airport.

It's not true that DL never overbooks premium cabins. Hence there could have been a last minute oversale. If someone is willing to pay full F, DL would gain from selling this ticket even if IDB compensation is required. It's similar to why full Y fares can be sold for a flight that is already full, although there's more of a cost in the FC case due to the possibility of alienating a HVC.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Mister Nice
I think the deadline should be the check in cutoff time, which DL agents keep telling us is a hard constraint. What good does purchasing a ticket do you if you cannot check in for the flight? One answer would be if you plan to SDC (especially in FC) or SDS to a more expensive later flight, but I don't think DL would permit this (if they realize it).

In my experience delta rarely over sells First. Economy sure but First? I've never experienced it.

And in the 3 or 4 sample flights I looked at delta.dumb was not selling F seats. Only M or Y fare available at T- 30 minutes. Perhaps it's different if a passenger walks up to the counter and asks a ticket agent for a last minute flight? Maybe they can override where delta.dumb follows standard delta fare class algorithms.
I could imagine an override in IROPs or if the flight is posted as delayed.

DL would override for a "must fly" employee, but few employees would be entitled to FC in most circumstances.

Originally Posted by JulienMSP
If you are a DM and buy a full-fare last-minute F ticket--it usually has special "bump" provisions if I recall.
Huh? Is there some new unpublished benefit of DM status to do this?

When high tier elites use the guarantee of a full fare Y ticket on any DL operated flight, the ticket must be purchased 48 or 72 hours before the scheduled departure time. At one point, there was a WBC/BE guaranteed seat seven days in advance for a full J fare, but I can't remember whether this survived the merger. IIRC it's gone now.

When I asked PMNW how this worked, I was told that someone else would be VDBed/IDBed, but I would definitely be able to take the flight.

Once PMNW did downgrade someone from WBC to coach TATL for me. They did the same thing for another elite who sat next to me on the flight. The GA remarked that since I had higher status, I got the aisle seat and the other guy got the window. The previous owners of the seats made some comment to each other when they boarded (something about how seeing us sitting there eliminated the possibility that something was wrong with the seats or that an aircraft change had eliminated their seats), but we just looked at each other and smiled.

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
The only other reasonable explanation IMHO is a HVC360 on a last minute F .
Is this a 360 benefit?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
That wouldn't have been an oversell, there was an F seat not sold.

It's also possible that someone paying F arrived early and SDCd to that flight simultaneous with the upgrade.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
That wouldn't have been an oversell, there was an F seat not sold.

It's also possible that someone paying F arrived early and SDCd to that flight simultaneous with the upgrade.
A couple times I watched gate upgrade lists, seat maps, and inventory on EF for amusement in an airport. It seemed to me that just as the GA started to process the gate upgrade list, EF went to F0. Essentially it looked like further sales and SDCs into FC were stopped (since the flight went to F0) just slightly before or exactly as upgrades were confirmed.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A couple times I watched gate upgrade lists, seat maps, and inventory on EF for amusement in an airport. It seemed to me that just as the GA started to process the gate upgrade list, EF went to F0. Essentially it looked like further sales and SDCs into FC were stopped (since the flight went to F0) just slightly before or exactly as upgrades were confirmed.
Precisely my point. Delta dot dumb dumb shows the same thing. Y fares for sale at last minute but nothing for F. Can't check the Fare class availability anymore... Oh that's another thread.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is this a 360 benefit?
Don't know is the truthful answer. But if you were DL and had a 360 flying (so one of your truly high spend High Value Customer) wouldn't you allow them to book a very last minute full F fare and bump a medallion to Y - I would.

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Oct 16, 2014 at 7:25 am Reason: FARE not FAIR!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.