Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Increasing Medallion Qualifying Dollar Thresholds in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Delta DM
Close, 138,000 MQM's 6800 MQD's 122,000$$ on Amex Reserve card. 3 more flights scheduled so will have a start for next year.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AA EXP
This is wonderful news. Keep climbing Delta. TTH
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by thepointsguy

Delta is increasing the MQD requirements for earning 2016 Medallion status, which is based on flights flown between January 1, 2015 and December 31, 2015, as follows:

Silver Medallion MQDs increasing to $3,000 (Previously $2,500)
Gold Medallion MQDs increasing to $6,000 (Previously $5,000)
Platinum Medallion MQDs increasing to $9,000 (Previously $7,500)
Diamond Medallion MQDs increasing to $15,000 (Previously $12,500)

For full details, you can check out my blog post about it here.
This could be a positive step, by possibly culling the number of Medallion members at all levels. Also, as someone who is a 1 Million Miler, it might serve to enhance the value of FO, which is my safety net.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
If they really want to reward their FREQUENT FLYERS the levels should be even higher and weed out those who think they are......

If you are not flying at these levels, you are not a frequent flyer or one in which DL should be rewarding.
one could counter with: they are not rewarding "frequent flyers" but "high spenders"
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by ornulfkittelsen
Honestly guys, how many of you guys have flown 125.000 miles and not reached the $12.500? Just curious if it is more difficult tipo reach the dollar amount vs. the MQM amount.

Personally, I think the 125k is much harder than the $$. But have quite a few last min meetings i need to attend and those tickets are rather pricy.

-ok
I totally agree
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Since I usually fly on my own dime, if DL keeps raising the threshold on MQD, the solution at least for me is to fly less often and buy up to EC or a GAP fare and get the things I need a la carte. I think in the end DL will get less money out of me because I will reduce the number of trips and not buy SkyClub membership. But, that's their decision.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA GE, CP ED
While change does not surprise me, I question this.

Like others above, I'm curious as to the source of this?

The 2015 SkyMiles literature says
The updates to the 2015 SkyMiles program will not impact how you earn Medallion status or your benefits. Learn more at delta.com/medallionprogram.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
The OP is citing changes to the 2016 program
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA GE, CP ED
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
The OP is citing changes to the 2016 program
Not really. Earning in 2015 is for 2016 status.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:32 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
method acting

"The updates to the 2015 SkyMiles program will not impact how you earn Medallion status or your benefits."

How we earn 2014/15: MQM (w/ rollover) or MQS + MQD or AmEx

How we earn 2015/16: MQM (w/ rollover) or MQS + MQD or AmEx

The numbers change, not the method(s).

Eliminating one of the components, or adding another one, would be a change in how we earn.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
No doubt there will be reductions err...I mean enhancements to benefits to follow the MQD increases. There have been recent reports of nasty vodka onboard the aircraft, I'm sure it will be rolled out fleet-wide.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:36 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
This could be a positive step, by possibly culling the number of Medallion members at all levels. Also, as someone who is a 1 Million Miler, it might serve to enhance the value of FO, which is my safety net.
Delta has no interest in culling the number of Medallion members or they wouldn't be offering so many promos with a "fast track" to status.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by ornulfkittelsen
Honestly guys, how many of you guys have flown 125.000 miles and not reached the $12.500? Just curious if it is more difficult tipo reach the dollar amount vs. the MQM amount.

Personally, I think the 125k is much harder than the $$. But have quite a few last min meetings i need to attend and those tickets are rather pricy.

-ok
Obviously this would vary, but my problem is not spending that much on tickets, that international travel adds up. The hard part is ensuring they are booked on 006 when the website doesn't list it, I don't have time to wait on the phone or a travel agent who can force it- much easier on an OTL. And flying KE, a supposed alliance partner, I'm SOL all around.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Some thoughts... FOs bring little business to DL, otherwise they would have already risen above the FO level. Keeping a bunch of FOs on the books incurs administrative costs that could otherwise be avoided. FOs inflate the length of UG lists on the GIDS, adding to the perception that UGs must be hard to get... etc... etc. FO is just the "entry-level drug hit" to the FF program. If someone does not move beyond FO, then they offer no real value to the airline. [Not my opinion, just a suggested management attitude.]
Can't you pretty much get all of the benefits of FO except for (rare) complimentary upgrades with a $95/year credit card? Are FOs really offering no real value to the airline above that? (even considering that CC miles are bulk purchased money in the bank)
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by aradisc
Can't you pretty much get all of the benefits of FO except for (rare) complimentary upgrades with a $95/year credit card?
A $95 Delta Amex Gold card isn't going to get one EC seats at check-in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.