Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No MQD if ticket purchased using an affinity program - such as Visa Rewards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2014, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW/DL Platinum 15 Years, Diamond 6 Years, DL Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold

I tried to book a ticket using Visa Rewards points and the regular third party agent called me back. Effective October 1, 2014 Delta would no longer issue MQD for tickets purchased using points from such programs. There would be miles issued but no MQD.

When I pressed her to ask how they would know how the ticket was purchased, she told me they now have to enter a code in the reservation. What the heck - Delta is getting real cash from someone, why does it matter where it comes from? This is a reward issued by another company outside of Delta and has nothing to do with Delta Skymiles reward ticketing.

I have done a search for the word Affinity both here and on Delta website and don't see anything related. I posted under Delta because it apparently applies to a number of different programs and is for now specific to Delta. Do any of you have any input? Thanks
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:03 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
What kind of ticket were you booking? Domestic or international? Were you buying a hotel/package as part of the deal?

Also, that "code" the agent referred to is likely the "ticket designator." It is added after the fare basis to tell Delta where it came from and provide any applicable discounts based on the point of sale (i.e. corporate/volume discount).
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW/DL Platinum 15 Years, Diamond 6 Years, DL Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold
What kind of ticket were you booking? Domestic or international? Were you buying a hotel/package as part of the deal?

International First Class - use some points (covers first $2,000) and then I pay the difference on my credit card. Not part of any package.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:19 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bsktpdlr

International First Class - use some points (covers first $2,000) and then I pay the difference on my credit card. Not part of any package.
What carrier? Was it Delta BE or AF/KE F? If AF/KE F I would bet it was being issued on AF/KE ticket stock and would then not earn MQDs.

If DL BE it could have been a consolidator fare that would disqualify it from earning MQDs.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTT
What carrier? Was it Delta BE or AF/KE F? If AF/KE F I would bet it was being issued on AF/KE ticket stock and would then not earn MQDs.

If DL BE it could have been a consolidator fare that would disqualify it from earning MQDs.
Delta stock. Delta and KLM metal. Delta flight numbers. No consolidator fare - that is why I use the agent instead of doing it on line - have made that mistake before. Agent checks with Delta to make sure it all will count and then issues.

I will ask her to get a copy of the rule instead of just getting something over the phone.

Last edited by bsktpdlr; Oct 6, 2014 at 1:45 pm
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:47 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Delta stock. Delta and KLM metal. Delta flight numbers. No consolidator fare - that is why I use the agent instead of doing it on line - have made that mistake before. Agent checks with Delta to make sure it all will count and then issues.

I will ask her to get a copy of the rule instead of just getting something over the phone.
Once booked you can tweet @DeltaAssist and they can tell you why/if it is ineligible.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
Question

Does this change affect only bookings via Visa Rewards? What about the other programs?

DL devalues again...
Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
When I pressed her to ask how they would know how the ticket was purchased, she told me they now have to enter a code in the reservation. What the heck - Delta is getting real cash from someone, why does it matter where it comes from?
It may be a discounted - not published - fare. Visa Rewards may use negotiated fares on some city pairs and not others.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
It may be a discounted - not published - fare. Visa Rewards may use negotiated fares on some city pairs and not others.
They do, but I work with the travel agent to make sure my tickets are not issued by a consolidator - thus I pay more than the standard. The agent makes sure my bookings qualify before issuance.

The situation has nothing to do with the eligibility of the fare - that I completely understand. It is the method used to pay for the ticket - Delta still receives full payment - I pay the agent a booking fee.

So what is next - company paid tickets don't qualify for MDQ?

Thanks everyone - the agent said it was ALL fares booked through award/benefit programs, not just Visa Rewards. I'll let you know once I get more details from Delta (if I get more details).
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
What About Amex's Booking Portal?

If a ticket is booked through VISA Rewards, that implies the customer is not using Amex. Perhaps that's the issue, but Delta is not (yet) going to go so far as to say "Only Amex, please" on Delta.com

I wonder if people get full MQD's through Amex's travel portal?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold (LT), Nat EL Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bowgie
If a ticket is booked through VISA Rewards, that implies the customer is not using Amex. Perhaps that's the issue, but Delta is not (yet) going to go so far as to say "Only Amex, please" on Delta.com

I wonder if people get full MQD's through Amex's travel portal?

When I book via Amex (using MR), the charge posts in full on my statement. Then a credit posts to the Amex account.
When I booked a trip in the past with VR, only the actual charge posted.

Thus, this may be how it's handled by VR (as a discounted ticket price) as opposed to an account credit (as Amex does it).
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
They do, but I work with the travel agent to make sure my tickets are not issued by a consolidator - thus I pay more than the standard. The agent makes sure my bookings qualify before issuance.
There is nothing in the SkyMiles earning rules about MQD based on form of payment. There are exclusions for MQD effective 1/1/15 for bulk, tour, consolidator fares...

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ion-fares.html

There was a thread a few weeks ago that got around to mentioning /IT (inclusive tour) fares. Some insight might be gained if you posted the full fare construction line as with this example from ITA:

Fare construction (can be useful to travel agents)
DTT DL ATL 114.89XG21A0SD DL DTT 114.88XG21A0SD USD 229.77 END ZP DTW ATL XT 17.23US 8.00ZP 11.20AY 9.00XF DTW4.50 ATL4.50
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:54 am

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
Interesting, I have a FlexPerks rewards card that I've used to purchase tickets in the past and they've always accrued Miles and MQDs.

Flexperks just uses the Travelocity booking engine so I'm hoping those will still qualify going forward.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: Southwest A List Preferred, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, American Airlines Gold
I don't mind the MQD requirements. Heck, I understand. It is just that there seem to be too many restrictions and exclusions. If my flights are booked on Delta stock, you get credit for all flights, but if they are booked on AF stock, you don't? Is it an alliance or not? What about the claim of seamless?

This and that isn't eligible. Are they going to start requiring you to use the SkyMiles credit card to get the MQD counted?

This is just getting too hard. I agree with the idea that money should count. They just shouldn't make so much money not count.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Ebes1099
Interesting, I have a FlexPerks rewards card that I've used to purchase tickets in the past and they've always accrued Miles and MQDs.

Flexperks just uses the Travelocity booking engine so I'm hoping those will still qualify going forward.
I just flew on a ticket booked with FlexPerks this past Thursday and Saturday. Both are displaying earning MQDs.

I don't see why Delta would care if it was a reward ticket booked through a 3rd party. Unless they're beginning to buy the tickets at a bulk rate from Delta it shouldn't matter one way or another.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.