Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AA Asks U.S. Government for DL's Daily Seattle-Tokyo Haneda Route

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card

American Claims Delta Is Squandering a Valuable Right to Serve Tokyo's Haneda Airport

American Airlines Group Inc. on Thursday asked the U.S. government to withdraw Delta Air Lines Inc.'s daily right to fly from Seattle to Tokyo's close-in Haneda Airport, and reallocate the route rights to American, which would launch flights from Los Angeles.

American, which is trying to beef up its Asian flight offerings, alleged in its filing with the U.S. Department of Transportation that Delta plans to serve the Seattle-Haneda route only 17 times between now and the end of March, instead of the 182 possible days....
I do not have access to the full article.
http://online.wsj.com/articles/ameri...5?mod=yahoo_hs
Old Oct 2, 2014, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
If DL isn't utilizing it at least 3x a week, they should certainly have to give it up. 17 flights in 6 months? That's a joke.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 4:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is this a declaration of war by AA? It could lead to some very interesting pricing in the LAX-TYO market.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is this a declaration of war by AA? It could lead to some very interesting pricing in the LAX-TYO market.
AA's realized fares to NRT from LAX are already very low, substantially lower than DL's fares to NRT and HND.

Here is a .pdf of AA's filing with DOT: http://airlineinfo.com/ostpdf91/679.pdf
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Delta, which is paring Haneda service starting this month, will only fly the Seattle route often enough to keep it from reverting to the Transportation Department, American said. Japanese authorities limit foreign flights, and U.S. regulators oversee that access.

Delta said it's studying American's filing, "which appears to have no merit."

"We are fully compliant with the DOT's conditions regarding the use of Haneda frequencies," Trebor Banstetter, a Delta spokesman, said in an e-mail. Reducing flights between some cities on a seasonal basis is a widespread practice among airlines, he said.
Article: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/americ...004218529.html

So I guess if DL is compliant with the DOT, AA is out of luck. I thought AA had the flt first, decided not to use it and that is how DL got it?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Originally Posted by kettle1
Article: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/americ...004218529.html

So I guess if DL is compliant with the DOT, AA is out of luck. I thought AA had the flt first, decided not to use it and that is how DL got it?
It's like a romance drama.

2010: DOT awards 4 slots to HA (HNL), AA (JFK), and DL (LAX, DTW). UA (SFO) and CO (EWR, GUM) lose out. AA also doesn't get LAX.

2012: DL cancels DTW, requests for shift to SEA. UA/HA counterapply w/ KOA and SFO, but DL wins again.

2013: AA cancels JFK-HND. UA/HA apply to take over the slot; UA wins and they start that service later this month.

2014: AA applies for LAX-HND in place of the nearly-dormant SEA-HND by DL. Verdict remains to be seen.

In other words:

Slot 1: HA (HNL)
Slot 2: DL (LAX)
Slot 3: DL→DL→AA? (DTW, SEA, LAX?)
Slot 4: AA→UA (JFK, SFO)
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
WSJ article: AA Tring to grab SEA - HND route as DL winds down TPAC Opperations

Apparently AA got wind of DL cutting back service to the Pacific, and is trying to have the DOT reassign the SEA - NRT routes. DL replied that it is just normal "seasonal cutbacks".

It seems like AA is onto something seeing as so many people with booked DL flights early next year are being assigned to partners, and DL has begun decommissioning their 744 fleet..

http://online.wsj.com/articles/ameri...KEYWORDS=delta

Last edited by scracer14; Oct 3, 2014 at 6:46 am
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's Tokyo Haneda, as in HND, not NRT. DL will retain the SEA-NRT flight. There's already a thread here on the topic.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...eda-route.html
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Pay wall link. However, we're talking about one flight here.

From what I understand, AA is asking for the HND slot that DL won't be using from SEA. They want to use it for LAX-HND.

As far as I'm concerned, let AA add it to their Asian network. They surely need all the help they can get TPAC. Their Asian network is a joke.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
the new AA has been very aggressive with international growth these past few years, especially TPAC growth. They take chances and they are paying off. DL and UA need to pay attention to this fact.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Good for AA, I say let them have it especially since DL is dropping some routes and cutting capacity.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by rylan
Good for AA, I say let them have it especially since DL is dropping some routes and cutting capacity.
well, it seems that lately, AA has the midas touch. They might just hit this one out of the park.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
well, it seems that lately, AA has the midas touch. They might just hit this one out of the park.
If they have the Midas touch, then other airlines must have the Diamond touch...

The World needs another LAX-TYO flight like a fish needs a bicycle...
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
I find this so interesting. Has anyone really made a HND route work? While I was based in London, BA's HND route had notoriously low yields (admittedly the landing slot timing makes for very poor route timing out of LHR...not sure if there are similar issues exUSA). It looks like all the exUSA HND routes have been in constant flux since being awarded. Why the all the romance drama?

That said, I'd personally love an exLAX route given I'm now based here in SoCal.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ocdb8r
I find this so interesting. Has anyone really made a HND route work? While I was based in London, BA's HND route had notoriously low yields (admittedly the landing slot timing makes for very poor route timing out of LHR...not sure if there are similar issues exUSA). It looks like all the exUSA HND routes have been in constant flux since being awarded. Why the all the romance drama?

That said, I'd personally love an exLAX route given I'm now based here in SoCal.
The international slot times have been improved significantly at Haneda. The BA flight now arrive and depart at quite convenient times. There are more day time departures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.