Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

RESCINDED! Major change, you can only transfer 250k MR points per calendar year to DL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RESCINDED! Major change, you can only transfer 250k MR points per calendar year to DL

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:05 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This will create some interesting strategic questions as the end of the year approaches, namely do people want to move MR points to DL miles before seeing how the five tier award charts will work in practice?

AFAIK you can still transfer as usual to certain DL partners. Depending on whether other rules change, there might be ways (I'm not an expert here) to transfer more through hotel programs.
Amex MR card holders can get other people to be authorized users with their own cards and still transfer 250k points into each Amex AU cardholder's DL account? No, DL is killing that too. DL must be freaking out about something to want to cap its revenue from sales of miles to its partners.

So is this a way to cap off any given annual transfer worth at less than $3,000 for some reason?

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 1, 2014 at 6:11 pm
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:27 pm

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
So what is the conversion factor ?

1 SkyMile = 1 $ or 1 point ???

Possible to transfer 250k* AMEXCO points to = 250k SkyMiles ?

*Dreaming of course - not anywhere within my budget !

Seriously thinking of leaving the Delta AX Reserve card and going Platinum AX !
Points accumulated could then be used by carriers other than Delta.
Sky Club lounge access would be the same.
Access to Centurion lounge added (where available).

Any other good comments reasons ???
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: Delta, SPG.
Platinum Amex has also lost some privilege with certain airlines.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:04 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by LizaVP
Platinum Amex has also lost some privilege with certain airlines.
Other than lounge access what are you referring to?

MR are far more valuable than SkyMiles. I don't see this change being that big of a deal. If they change how SkyMiles Amex cards work we will have trouble.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Bizarre. I'm sitting on a couple million Amex MRs. Before or after the change, converting them to DL miles is about the last thing I would ever use them for.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 5khours
Bizarre. I'm sitting on a couple million Amex MRs. Before or after the change, converting them to DL miles is about the last thing I would ever use them for.
Me too, not only because of the relative values but also because I earn DL miles faster than I can spend them on trips I want to take for fun and have time to do.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:32 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DLERT
So what is the conversion factor ?

1 SkyMile = 1 $ or 1 point ???

Possible to transfer 250k* AMEXCO points to = 250k SkyMiles ?

*Dreaming of course - not anywhere within my budget !

Seriously thinking of leaving the Delta AX Reserve card and going Platinum AX !
Points accumulated could then be used by carriers other than Delta.
Sky Club lounge access would be the same.
Access to Centurion lounge added (where available).

Any other good comments reasons ???
Free Priority Pass for lounges and you can be SPG gold. And $100 credit for Global Entry.

I only use DL amex for DL purchases.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by 5khours
People keep saying this, but so many of the airlines AMEX has a relationship with are useless if you're not going to Asia.

LY is a rip off with miles, BA requires a mortgage to pay the taxes, AF/AZ are basically the same as DL (although sometimes a better deal can be had there). And that's it - you're done unless you're going to asia
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|HH Gold|DL Silver|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Hence, perhaps, the new constraints... that could well be directed at those who accumulate points over time and then make a just-in-time transfer to meet their needs.
I think that's right. While people complain about how devalued SkyMiles are, they are only just playing catch-up to the granddaddy of the devaluers, Qantas.

About six years ago, Qantas changed its program so that other than the very top Amex card in Australia and a couple of business cards, the ONLY way you can earn Qantas miles through credit card spend is with a co-branded credit card (as well as completely eliminating SPG as a transfer partner). Why?

- every month, they get a cash inflow from the monthly credit card spend, which sits there while individual members try to accumulate enough points to redeem, while Qantas happily sits on or uses the cash it gets paid for those points.
- it stops people hoarding points outside the program and then transferring a bunch in at the last minute to book an award (which would limit the amount of time Qantas has the cash).
- while the cash comes in from those points every month, Qantas can happily devalue away those points while still selling the mirage of 'free' flights to those members loyally paying for expenditure on their co-branded credit cards.

Seems like Delta has taken a tiny step in the direction of the huge leap Qantas has taken some time ago on its 'loyalty' program.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Another day, another "enhancement"... Keep climbing...
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
People keep saying this, but so many of the airlines AMEX has a relationship with are useless if you're not going to Asia.

LY is a rip off with miles, BA requires a mortgage to pay the taxes, AF/AZ are basically the same as DL (although sometimes a better deal can be had there). And that's it - you're done unless you're going to asia
I use BA's program for award travel on Air Berlin and Aer Lingus flights or intra-Americas flights. Good value there.

I use the AF-KL program for one-way awards for intra-North America or for AF-KL promo awards. Pretty good value there too.

Assuming DL kills off the free stopovers/open jaws, I can't see myself being hit by this DL transfer cap unless Virgin Australia enters into my plans.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I have to admit DL was clever with putting both restrictions.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by FlyAO2

BA is fantastic for non-stop, short hop flights within the US.

AF/KL offer way better Classic level availability to their own members now than they do to DL.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Amex MR card holders can get other people to be authorized users with their own cards and still transfer 250k points into each Amex AU cardholder's DL account? No, DL is killing that too. DL must be freaking out about something to want to cap its revenue from sales of miles to its partners.

So is this a way to cap off any given annual transfer worth at less than $3,000 for some reason?
From DL's standpoint, it makes sense. They are capping the amount of miles that can be transferred to their books. (I forget the accounting, but supposedly they are a liability.) Seems that Amex doesn't have an issue with it. Odd thing is, if it affects few people, then why bother, unless it does affect a good number of people, then why would Amex go along with it? But then again, they went along with the reduced Amex Skyclub guesting...
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
From DL's standpoint, it makes sense. They are capping the amount of miles that can be transferred to their books. (I forget the accounting, but supposedly they are a liability.) Seems that Amex doesn't have an issue with it. Odd thing is, if it affects few people, then why bother, unless it does affect a good number of people, then why would Amex go along with it? But then again, they went along with the reduced Amex Skyclub guesting...
Amex does not really have much choice. Reduced number of airlines and Chase breathing down their neck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.