Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Joint Venture Between Korean Air and Delta Announced — Effective as of May 1, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWAforever
DL/KE current flights between ICN and North America:

Originally Posted by kop84
Currently KE has ATL, ORD, DFW, HNL, IAH, LAS, LAX, JFK, SFO, SEA, IAD, YYZ and YVR

DL currently (or soon) has SEA, DTW, ATL

Update from Delta News Hub (28MARCH17):

http://news.delta.com/delta-and-kore...nd-partnership

Will this mean a move from Group 4 partner to Group 1? Delta SkyMiles PR rep says:

"... the details you’re looking for will be figured out further down the road"

Further from the Delta press release on the date of the JV agreement being signed, 6/23/17:

Delta and Korean Air will lay the groundwork for implementing all aspects of the joint venture, subject to regulatory approvals, including:
  • Expanded codesharing in the trans-Pacific market
    • Joint sales and marketing initiatives in Asia and the United States
      • Colocation at key hubs with seamless passenger and baggage transit experience
        • Enhanced frequent flyer benefits, providing customers of both airlines the ability to earn and redeem miles on Delta's SkyMiles and Korean Air's SKYPASS programs
          • Increased belly cargo cooperation across the trans-Pacific
            • Under the agreement, the airlines will also share costs and revenues on flights within the scope of the joint venture as they work to expand service options for travelers.

It cited no date for the enhanced FF benefits to be effective.

New Delta SkyMiles mileage earn chart, including MQMs and MQDs, for Korean Air flights effective May 1, 2018. See posts #566 and #567 for details.
Print Wikipost

Joint Venture Between Korean Air and Delta Announced — Effective as of May 1, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
I just want to see us being able to earn full Delta MQMs on all Korean Air flights. The rest is gravy.
Switch to Alaska Mileage Plan. @:-)
Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:49 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I'm harboring hope that one reason the partner earnings for 2015 SkyMiles haven't been announced yet (coming "later this year") is that DL and KE are drying to finalize a JV-- or at least a closer relationship.

The hope will be dashed, I'm sure, but why not keep hoping.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
I'm harboring hope that one reason the partner earnings for 2015 SkyMiles haven't been announced yet (coming "later this year") is that DL and KE are drying to finalize a JV-- or at least a closer relationship.

MegatopLover, if you are looking to redeem miles on KE, I suggest that you take a shot at award space on, yes, DL.com. You might be surprised...I was. Inventory appears to have recently changed.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: DL PM Reserve
What is inventory usually like for KE award seats using DL skypesos?

I just did a random March '15 Friday to Friday itenerary ATL-ICN-ATL (on the non-stop KE 36/35 flights), and it priced out as 70k skypesos for Y, and 140k skypesos for J.....$86.40 in taxes in both cases. This doesn't sound like the DL.com that I know.

Maybe there's something to the rumors of a JV? That intervies the Anderson did back in June or July did have him quoted as "cautiously optimistic" concerning a JV with KE, right?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by ATL787

I just did a random March '15 Friday to Friday itenerary ATL-ICN-ATL (on the non-stop KE 36/35 flights), and it priced out as 70k skypesos for Y, and 140k skypesos for J.....$86.40 in taxes in both cases. This doesn't sound like the DL.com that I know.

Maybe there's something to the rumors of a JV? That intervies the Anderson did back in June or July did have him quoted as "cautiously optimistic" concerning a JV with KE, right?
The award levels and pricing you mention seems to be fairly widespread recently. Even easy to get two seats on the same flight.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: DL PM Reserve
Just went back and priced out the same itenerary using $ instead of miles, and found that the DL coded KE operated flight (MQM earning) priced out at a comparable fare to the KE coded KE operated flight (non-MQM earning).

THAT is a big change from the previous pricing of DL coded KE operated flights being about double the price of the KE coded KE operated flights...just say'n
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by jiburi
And despite its "imminent" remarks, still seems just a rumor. Probably time to closing this thread.
It is imminent on a geological time scale.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HongKonger
It is imminent on a geological time scale.
It is a matter of perspective.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:39 am

Just went back and priced out the same itenerary using $ instead of miles, and found that the DL coded KE operated flight (MQM earning) priced out at a comparable fare to the KE coded KE operated flight (non-MQM earning).

THAT is a big change from the previous pricing of DL coded KE operated flights being about double the price of the KE coded KE operated flights...just say'n
It is a big change. As for award seats, grab them while you can.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: DM
Originally Posted by jiburi
And despite its "imminent" remarks, still seems just a rumor. Probably time to closing this thread.
You brought an old thread back to life just to comment that it should be closed?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:04 am
Suspended

Very big indeed as I have seen difference up to $3K.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX

I just searched in July and the website didn't show me ANY flights that were non-stop... what happened to it?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
I just searched in July and the website didn't show me ANY flights that were non-stop... what happened to it?
Blackout dates?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23716882-post14.html
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, TK Elite (*Gold), AA EXP (matched and prob not for long!)
Originally Posted by MegatopLover

I wish this was the case. After hearing from DL management during 2Q earnings call that they were cautiously optimistic about a JV progressing, it is really disappointing not to hear a peep about this during 3Q earnings call. I am actually surprised no one asked a question about this, and I sure do hope someone does at DL's investor day in December.

On a separate note, it is unbelievable that DL still has not released a partner earnings chart this late in the year. How do they expect us to purchase an itinerary on a partner without knowing this? I understand they prefer us booking Delta metal, but often times that just isn't possible if DL has no metal on certain routes. This is really mind boggling.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmorbust
....I understand they prefer us booking Delta metal, but often times that just isn't possible if DL has no metal on certain routes. This is really mind boggling.
It is not an issue if ticketed by DL. Partner earning table is only relevant if not ticketed by DL and flying non-DL flights.

Last edited by TerryK; Oct 24, 2014 at 6:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.