Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Joint Venture Between Korean Air and Delta Announced — Effective as of May 1, 2018

Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWAforever
DL/KE current flights between ICN and North America:

Originally Posted by kop84
Currently KE has ATL, ORD, DFW, HNL, IAH, LAS, LAX, JFK, SFO, SEA, IAD, YYZ and YVR

DL currently (or soon) has SEA, DTW, ATL

Update from Delta News Hub (28MARCH17):

http://news.delta.com/delta-and-kore...nd-partnership

Will this mean a move from Group 4 partner to Group 1? Delta SkyMiles PR rep says:

"... the details you’re looking for will be figured out further down the road"

Further from the Delta press release on the date of the JV agreement being signed, 6/23/17:

Delta and Korean Air will lay the groundwork for implementing all aspects of the joint venture, subject to regulatory approvals, including:
  • Expanded codesharing in the trans-Pacific market
    • Joint sales and marketing initiatives in Asia and the United States
      • Colocation at key hubs with seamless passenger and baggage transit experience
        • Enhanced frequent flyer benefits, providing customers of both airlines the ability to earn and redeem miles on Delta's SkyMiles and Korean Air's SKYPASS programs
          • Increased belly cargo cooperation across the trans-Pacific
            • Under the agreement, the airlines will also share costs and revenues on flights within the scope of the joint venture as they work to expand service options for travelers.

It cited no date for the enhanced FF benefits to be effective.

New Delta SkyMiles mileage earn chart, including MQMs and MQDs, for Korean Air flights effective May 1, 2018. See posts #566 and #567 for details.
Print Wikipost

Joint Venture Between Korean Air and Delta Announced — Effective as of May 1, 2018

Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:19 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by bstv69
Appollogize if this has already been mentioned but I had 4 KE code share flights that previously did not let me even request seats and now 2 of them I was able to select seats and the other two I selected but they say requested.
This is new at least to my itineraries because previously I could not even see the seat map
Really does not matter. Always use the operating carrier to insure seats.

Get the KE reservation number (PNR) and check on their website. Even if dl.com shows the seats, they might or might not "stick".
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Let's hope with this new JV they don't decide to step back in time with award blackout dates and then use that as an excuse why redemption levels are insanely high.
Well, DL still imposes blackout dates for KE.* Just now it's more targeted to match the actual KE higher mileage cost dates for specific flight sectors. DL could charge more during the KE blackout dates and stop blocking it. DL also could do what NW did way back in the day and charge more for KE than for its own and other airline awards on the same routes altogether. Hopefully it does neither, of course. DL bringing things in line with KE would be mostly bad news.

*There are also de facto blackout dates for other airlines like CI. It's no longer published, but during certain local and int'l holidays, not a single flight is ever available...which is blackout dates in all but name ("capacity controlled" awards is probably what they'd call it...in that at former published blackout dates there is never, ever any capacity allocated for awards).
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Still can't book KE F using skymiles either right?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Still can't book KE F using skymiles either right?
not unless DL starys adding F to its planes.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Well, DL still imposes blackout dates for KE.* Just now it's more targeted to match the actual KE higher mileage cost dates for specific flight sectors. DL could charge more during the KE blackout dates and stop blocking it. DL also could do what NW did way back in the day and charge more for KE than for its own and other airline awards on the same routes altogether. Hopefully it does neither, of course. DL bringing things in line with KE would be mostly bad news.

*There are also de facto blackout dates for other airlines like CI. It's no longer published, but during certain local and int'l holidays, not a single flight is ever available...which is blackout dates in all but name ("capacity controlled" awards is probably what they'd call it...in that at former published blackout dates there is never, ever any capacity allocated for awards).
Technically not blackouts, just charging more. Same thing though as for me I'm not paying the ridiculous levels.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:42 pm

Here is a list of the frequencies between US, US Territories, Japan and S. Korea for KE and DL. This is based on the July schedule.

KE:
ICN-SEA 7x weekly
ICN-SFO 13x weekly, excluding Thu
ICN-LAX 19x weekly, excluding Tue and Fri
ICN-LAS 5x weekly, excluding Tue and Fri
ICN-ORD 7x weekly
ICN-DFW 5x weekly, excluding Tue and Fri
ICN-IAH 5x weekly, excluding Mon and Thu
ICN-ATL 7x weekly
ICN-IAD 7x weekly
ICN-JFK 14x weekly
ICN-HNL 7x weekly
ICN-YVR 7x weekly
ICN-YYZ 7x weekly
NRT-HNL 7x weekly
Total = 117x weekly

Delta:
SEA-ICN 7x weekly
DTW-ICN 7x weekly
ATL-ICN 6x weekly, excluding Mon
SEA-NRT 7x weekly
DTW-NRT 7x weekly
ATL-NRT 7x weekly
PDX-NRT 7x weekly
MSP-HND 7x weekly
LAX-HND 7x weekly
DTW-NGO 5x weekly, excluding Mon and Wed
HNL-FUK 7x weekly
HNL-NGO 7x weekly
HNL-KIX 7x weekly
HNL-NRT 14x weekly
SPN-NRT 7x weekly
GUM-NRT 12x weekly, excluding Tue and Sat
NRT-PVG 7x weekly
NRT-SIN 7x weekly
NRT-MNL 7x weekly
Total = 142x weekly

Potential new routes for DL and KE:
ICN-BOS KE
JFK-ICN DL (KE will reduce 7x weekly)
ICN-EWR KE
ICN-SJC KE
MSP-ICN DL or ICN-DTW KE
LAX-ICN DL (KE will reduce 6x weekly)
ICN-DEN KE 5x weekly (dark horse)

Last edited by Dalat767; Jun 28, 2017 at 8:01 pm
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL Silver, SPG Gold
So, no decision on whether we can earn MQMs with KE just yet? I'm assuming that will be coming though, yeah?
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by beamer2000
So, no decision on whether we can earn MQMs with KE just yet? I'm assuming that will be coming though, yeah?
I think the agreement, while signed by KE and DL, needs to be approved by the government(s). I can't imagine they turn this down.

I would guess that until that happens, no changes yet.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by beamer2000
No. There'll be a major announcement when it happens.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by scongro
I think the agreement, while signed by KE and DL, needs to be approved by the government(s). I can't imagine they turn this down.
and the application hasn't been submitted yet.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by carljanderson
and the application hasn't been submitted yet.
Application was submitted in Korea and the U.S. on July 18, according to this story. Article states that US DOT approval is not necessary due to antitrust immunity granted in 2002 but also indicates that HA and B6 are complaining, so there might be some review. Hangup is with competition authorities in Korea.

No news about KE moving to Tier 1 partner status.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton Gold, PriorityPass
Delta announced today that the JV with Korean Air has been approved by the US DOT: https://news.delta.com/delta-korean-...pproval-us-dot
Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
No surprise here. Real question is when this will go into effect. I assume sometime next year.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Longboater
No surprise here. Real question is when this will go into effect. I assume sometime next year.
Still needs approval in South Korea.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
On a related note, brand new Terminal 2 at ICN (to be used by KE, DL, AF, KL) will open Jan 18. Just in time for the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics in February

https://korea.stripes.com/travel/inc...en-jan-18-2018

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.