Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

UA Plays Dirty and Kicks Delta Out of Dallas-Love

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Plays Dirty and Kicks Delta Out of Dallas-Love

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hazelrah
Isn't at least part of the point to increase competition? By definition it would be a duplication.

I read some of the public comment afterwards and a lot of the frequent travelers in Dallas are elated that Virgin was selected.
To me, competition is also the ability to get from point A to point B with a reasonable connection. VX has really limited connectivity and anything that VX can connect to at SFO or LAX, AA already has a nonstop out of DFW.

I never got the obsession with VX. They charge for bags and snacks on board if you are in Y. Their elite program is a joke IMO, and their up charge for the bulkhead and reclining exit row (Main Cabin Select) is really high. Also, they seem to have trouble with lots of routes being profitable enough to stick around. They have abandoned several airports quickly due to lack of profitability, including my home airport.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by ROCAT
I said Tokyo not Narita.
I don't think the HND slots will be particularly sought after either.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
You are really missing the point. Our's is a free market economy. These slots belong to UA and they can do whatever they choose with them, so long as it is not illegal.
The gates do not belong to UA, they're leased.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
To me, competition is also the ability to get from point A to point B with a reasonable connection. VX has really limited connectivity and anything that VX can connect to at SFO or LAX, AA already has a nonstop out of DFW.
And most anything that DL can connect to out of ATL/MSP/LGA out of DAL, AA already has a nonstop out of DFW, not to mention DL's ATL/MSP/LGA-DFW service.

Historically, the DOT has given the advantage to smaller carriers at slot-restricted airports over huge legacy carriers- for instance, AS won LAX-DCA over AA. They also give a lot of benefit to point-to-point travel rather than connecting.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
shouldn't a 90 minute UA turn be enough time for the UA plane to unload its 40 or so pax, get towed out of the gate, pull in the DL plane, load her up, push her back and let the UA regional back in? I mean, surely that should be enough time? If anyone is losing out, its DAL because now, thanks to UA's greed, they are losing out on DL's landing and gate expenses. Plus, UA loses out for keeping the regional jets grounded for so long. I guess DL is actually the winner in the long run.

UA pulls into gate, takes 5 minutes for pax to deplane then another 15 - 25 minutes to off load the luggage and clean the plane. Total time = 30 min tops.

DL plane gets towed in...crew boards and 10 minutes later, pax board. Total time so far, 40 to 45 minutes. Pax finish boarding in 20 minutes (can be done in a 717) and the flight is ready to push back. Total time = 60 to 65 minutes. Back with the UA plane, already cleaned and ready to accept her 40 or so passengers with just enough time for an on time departure.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:20 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
shouldn't a 90 minute UA turn be enough time for the UA plane to unload its 40 or so pax, get towed out of the gate, pull in the DL plane, load her up, push her back and let the UA regional back in? I mean, surely that should be enough time? If anyone is losing out, its DAL because now, thanks to UA's greed, they are losing out on DL's landing and gate expenses. Plus, UA loses out for keeping the regional jets grounded for so long. I guess DL is actually the winner in the long run.

UA pulls into gate, takes 5 minutes for pax to deplane then another 15 - 25 minutes to off load the luggage and clean the plane. Total time = 30 min tops.

DL plane gets towed in...crew boards and 10 minutes later, pax board. Total time so far, 40 to 45 minutes. Pax finish boarding in 20 minutes (can be done in a 717) and the flight is ready to push back. Total time = 60 to 65 minutes. Back with the UA plane, already cleaned and ready to accept her 40 or so passengers with just enough time for an on time departure.
^^ Agree.

This is exactly what I said up-thread. UA is simply playing games. 90min turns on an RJ. Subleasing the second gate to WN. UA better keep their eye on ORD, as Frontier plans expansion and is now running as a ULCC.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:22 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Originally Posted by kettle1
UA is simply playing games. 90min turns on an RJ. Subleasing the second gate to WN.
In the past, I have flown DAL to IAH a great deal and UAs on time performance, with their RJ operation, was never particularly impressive. These 90 minute scheduled turn times, which will very likely be much shorter ground times in practice, are likely an effort to get UA passengers to IAH on time and allow them to make connections.

Right now I think that UA is more concerned with WNs entrance into Mexico/Central America than it is with any of Frontier´s plans in ORD.

UA isn´t playing games with DL at all. DL lost the American gates which are going to Virgin.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:43 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
The looser in this this is the DAL (airport) on take off / landing fees. As well as gate space. It matters little to me, as I visit this "gem" of an airport maybe twice a year.

Perhaps UA should use their 2 gates to fly real aircraft (full size jets) to real airports (perhaps out of the same State). And not pull a 90 min turns on a RJ garbage move.

Business is business, and that is what I do everyday. If I were UA (and could get away with it), I guess I would pull the same move. Leasing the second gate to WN is my question?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by kettle1
The looser in this this is the DAL (airport) on take off / landing fees. As well as gate space. It matters little to me, as I visit this "gem" of an airport maybe twice a year.

Perhaps UA should use their 2 gates to fly real aircraft (full size jets) to real airports (perhaps out of the same State). And not pull a 90 min turns on a RJ garbage move.

Business is business, and that is what I do everyday. If I were UA (and could get away with it), I guess I would pull the same move. Leasing the second gate to WN is my question?
DAL is indeed the biggest loser. I know nothing about running a business, let alone an airport, but wouldn't DAL lose out on substantial expenses from landing/taking off and gate lease costs from DL? What if UA were to up the turn times from 90 minutes to 105 minutes, would that then be enough time for Delta planes to use the same gate?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
UA has the leases on these gates. They are meeting their contractual obligations to DAL. Why should UA do anything to help a competitor? I would bet heavily that DL would do the same thing if the roles were reversed.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
UA has the leases on these gates. They are meeting their contractual obligations to DAL. Why should UA do anything to help a competitor? I would bet heavily that DL would do the same thing if the roles were reversed.
Well, if they don't really use the gate...

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/a...-expanding.ece

Dallas City Council member Philip Kingston is not happy with Delta’s forced departure from Love Field.
“United has done a historically poor job of utilizing its gates,” Kingston said. “United has provided the city with assurances the city has accepted that it will fully utilize the gates. We need to make sure we’re holding United to its assurances.”
The city plans to monitor gate usage at Love Field every month, Duebner said.
“If this was a thinly veiled tactic just to keep Delta from using the gates, that will become apparent,” he said. “At some point, we knew demand would outstrip supply with only 20 gates. Its a hard situation for us to be in. We like competition.”
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethb
The gates do not belong to UA, they're leased.
That's a distinction without a difference. As the tenant, occupying those gates under a long-term lease, UA can do whatever it wants with its two gates. If UA fails to use the gates, then other airlines (including DL) can potentially use them. Problem for DL is that UA plans to use them. Perhaps not as efficiently as possible or as efficiently as Delta would prefer.

Airlines squat on scarce resources like gates and slots all. the. time.

A few years ago, US flew some two dozen daily props between LGA and PHL, for no reason other than to "utilize" the slots sufficiently to avoid losing them. As a by-product, US connected a lot of low-fare seekers at PHL. US still flies more LGA-PHL flights than necessary.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:45 am

The squatting idea got me thinking.

What if Delta employees "occupied" those DAL UA gates? Bring media attention to bear on UA forcing change?

Is there any evidence of change driven by a corporate "occupy" style movement? Are DL's hands clean at other airports? Or do they play this squatting game elsewhere themselves?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Airlines squat on scarce resources like gates and slots all. the. time.
I recall that when USairways was driven out of its Baltimore hub by Southwest that USairways squatted on its empty gates on the D pier for years. It was a spooky ghost pier.

The Maryland Aviation Authority paid them to vacate the gates.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/200...airlines-gates
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by fly18725
Whether export credit financing is a subsidy or provides recipients a cost advantage is a valid discussion, though not germane to this discussion.

What is relevant is that Delta continues to sue foreign competitors because it wants to reduce or eliminate their head-to-head and indirect competition. Read the briefs to see their true intent.

Look at Delta's behavior with Norwegian as well.
You provided the reference to the export credit financing. Delta did not sue its foreign competitors.

As far as Norwegian, again Delta has plenty of company in that complaint. Including much of the EU.

Anyway, I am still waiting to see some actual proof of your assertion:

Originally Posted by fly18725
Delta is the most anti-competitive airline out there, regularly using litigation to attack other airlines.
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
That's the thing, they were negotiations, not WN unilaterally dictating the future of the Wright Amendment and DAL.
It was a "negotiation" where WN got pretty much everything they wanted. Look it up (I did). And that doesn't matter. My point was that WN agreed to use 16 gates, then they go and lease another 1 of the remaining 4 until January when UA ramps up their service and presumably repossesses the gate. There was no reason to do that except to force Delta out of the market with two weeks notice.

As I said, it stinks. It may be legal, but it still stinks.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Oh, and we are discussing an airline (DL) that backed out of the Dallas market with their tails between their legs within recent history, right? No reason they can't reverse that at the other airport now that they swung and missed at DAL. It doesn't seem to me that if DL was really interested a buildup in the Dallas metro market that DFW is all that much worse a choice than DAL. A lot of the growth in that metro area is up north and better served by DFW. They could add LAX-DFW and be in pretty good shape, with LGA, JFK, ATL, MSP, DTW and SLC already served...
Delta did not abandon the market, they pulled down an unprofitable hub. In the long run, it was the right decision for DL and the right decision for DFW. I expect the AA hub at DFW is far stronger than it would be had DFW remained split between AA and DL.

DAL is more convenient for a lot of travelers and DL wanted a chance to serve them, or at least to operate DAL-ATL with full size jets.

If it were no big deal, the city of Dallas wouldn't care, but it seems that they actually do. As evidenced by your quote just a few posts above.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.