Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Need advice for upgrade purchase on ICN-DTW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, DL AMEX Reserve

I require some veteran assistance! I have status on United, nothing with Delta and my employer booked at ticket ICN-DTW (Q class on a 747) that leaves in a couple of days.

With United its pretty easy to just buy a cash or points upgrade, but I do not remember this being the case with Delta, especially on the cheap fares.

How should I proceed in (attempting to) purchase a business or first class upgrade?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:25 am

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
I believe you cannot do a mileage upgrade from Q class. You would need a YBM fare. You may be able to buy up from a Q fare to BE by calling CS. They would probably waive the change fee if you asked.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KissFlyGoodbye
I believe you cannot do a mileage upgrade from Q class. You would need a YBM fare. You may be able to buy up from a Q fare to BE by calling CS. They would probably waive the change fee if you asked.
The seat map has a ton of business class inventory; willing to pay cash. This requires calling to change the class of fare?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Just called, they want $4701 :/ . On United I'm used to paying $600 to upgrade similar flights out of ICN. Do you think I would have better luck haggling at the gate or is this the typical cost with Delta?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:21 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by PirateJeff
Just called, they want $4701 :/ . On United I'm used to paying $600 to upgrade similar flights out of ICN. Do you think I would have better luck haggling at the gate or is this the typical cost with Delta?
What was the "up-fare" from a "Q" to "M" fare? That would (probably) be the least expensive route if discounted BusinessElite ("Z" or "I") is not available. "M" can waitlist an upgrade (or clear if available, inventory you need is "OP") for 25K SkyMiles.

In my experience, Delta does NOT haggle at the gate. They do, on very rare occasions, offer upgrades during OLCI for cash. Haven't seen anyone post on an OLCI international upgrade in quite a few months.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:25 am

Programs: DL DM
Dl doesn't "haggle". Buying up to the M fare is the cheapest method for an infinitely better hard product than ua. IME ICNDTW is an easy upgrade
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bubbashow
Dl doesn't "haggle". Buying up to the M fare is the cheapest method for an infinitely better hard product than ua. IME ICNDTW is an easy upgrade
Could you please help me understand what this means? I don't yet speak Delta Any reason the person at reservations didn't offer this? I don't mind spending a grand or two, I just thought $4701 was a bit steep.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Could you please help me understand what this means? I don't yet speak Delta Any reason the person at reservations didn't offer this? I don't mind spending a grand or two, I just thought $4701 was a bit steep.
They probably did not offer, because you wanted a CONFIRMED business class seat. Upgrade inventory (probably) has not been released.

Basically :

(a) Ask the price to go from "Q" to "M" fare.
(b) Ask if you up-fare to an "M" fare if there is upgrade ("OP") space available (i.e. can they CONFIRM the upgrade), or if they will have to WAITLIST you for the upgrade.
(c) You'll need to up-fare to "M" and also have 25K SkyMiles for the upgrade

Most upgrades clear the day before or day of departure, but they sometimes release a few seats a few weeks before, YMMV.

If upgrade space is NOT available (has to be waitlisted), the only way to guarantee a BusinessElite seat is to purchase one (hence, what the agent was referencing in the price quoted).

Last edited by baccarat_king; Sep 29, 2014 at 3:42 am
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
They probably did not offer, because you wanted a CONFIRMED business class seat. Upgrade inventory (probably) has not been released.

Basically :

(a) Ask the price to go from "Q" to "M" fare.
(b) Ask if you up-fare to an "M" fare if there is upgrade ("OP") space available (i.e. can they CONFIRM the upgrade), or if they will have to WAITLIST you for the upgrade.
(c) You'll need to up-fare to "M" and also have 25K SkyMiles for the upgrade

Most upgrades clear the day before or day of departure, but they sometimes release a few seats a few weeks before, YMMV.

If upgrade space is NOT available (has to be waitlisted), the only way to guarantee a BusinessElite seat is to purchase one (hence, what the agent was referencing in the price quoted).
I think I have ~21k miles right now. Will I need to somehow purchase more in advance or is that something for which reservations can assist?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:02 am

I think I have ~21k miles right now. Will I need to somehow purchase more in advance or is that something for which reservations can assist?
You will need to have the 25K SkyMiles to confirm or waitlist an upgrade.

Some options :
(a) Transfer from AMEX Membership rewards (or another program that allows transfer to SkyMiles, perhaps SPG or Hilton)
(b) Use miles from a friend/relatives account (who has 25K SkyMiles)
(c) Purchase from Delta at delta.com (most expensive option)

If you had more time (which you probably do not); apply for and get approved for a Delta-AMEX product with a SkyMiles (RDM miles) bonus.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
You will need to have the 25K SkyMiles to confirm or waitlist an upgrade.

Some options :
(a) Transfer from AMEX Membership rewards (or another program that allows transfer to SkyMiles, perhaps SPG or Hilton)
(b) Use miles from a friend/relatives account (who has 25K SkyMiles)
(c) Purchase from Delta at delta.com (most expensive option)

If you had more time (which you probably do not); apply for and get approved for a Delta-AMEX product with a SkyMiles (RDM miles) bonus.
Thanks for the help. I'll call Delta once I'm within 24 hours to see if they can auto-confirm the upgrade.

Does the delta.com purchase have to be done in advance or can the reservation agent charge the difference over the phone?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:08 am

Thanks for the help. I'll call Delta once I'm within 24 hours to see if they can auto-confirm the upgrade.

Does the delta.com purchase have to be done in advance or can the reservation agent charge the difference over the phone?
Personally, I would call now; and check if there is availability for the upgrade. They can be confirmed months in advance (highly unlikely, the upgrade inventory is there.... but, you never know).

I would make sure I have the 25K miles in my account (or another, friend/relative account) before trying to process an upgrade 24 hours before departure. I believe you can ONLY purchase miles at delta.com; but that they do credit to your account immediately.

There is constant discussion as to whether mileage upgrades (the waitlist) will move to the gate after T-24. It's not supposed to (or only for those using instruments); but I do think it does in many cases.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Basically, it comes down to the fact that DL doesn't make it easy to upgrade on international flights. There is no 'cheap' path from the mid or lower level coach fares.

They want you to purchase a very expensive M or higher based fare and then use 25k miles for each way, assuming there is actually any availability in the upgrade inventory bucket (its common to see lots of seats open but no upgrade 'space'). The only time you may get off 'cheap' is the rare occasion when you are offered an opportunity to pay cash during online check in for an upgrade.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It sounds like DL is willing to up fare the ticket, but if it was purchased through a corporate travel agent, you might not be able to do this with DL in advance.

The OP needs to realize that with DL, it's unrealistic to expect to upgrade from a cheap TPAC coach fare to BE for only $600 even if you can do this on UA.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rylan
Basically, it comes down to the fact that DL doesn't make it easy to upgrade on international flights. There is no 'cheap' path from the mid or lower level coach fares.

They want you to purchase a very expensive M or higher based fare and then use 25k miles for each way, assuming there is actually any availability in the upgrade inventory bucket (its common to see lots of seats open but no upgrade 'space'). The only time you may get off 'cheap' is the rare occasion when you are offered an opportunity to pay cash during online check in for an upgrade.
I don't need cheap, just reasonable . I have spent ~$1800 for the upgrade on a very full IAD - NRT with United, the cheaper upgrades (at least on that carrier) seem to be for ICN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.