Wiki Posts
Search

A rumor about LAX

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles, LifeMiles, AA Advantage
A rumor about LAX

Well I flew out of LAX this morning and it was business as usual today. However I had not a long conversation with one of the red coats at the gate that I have gotten to know during the past few months/years of flying this same flight. And he told me that by the end of October LAX will be officially name a HUB. I usually don't make much of this "rumors" however I have gotten to know him and he's always pretty accurate on the things he had said in the past. So I have no reason to doubt him, however I just don't see LAX being a HUB for the simple reason of gate space or the lack of.

Any thoughts fellow FT's

Natalie
Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz 5*, SPG
I guess LAX would be a good stopover for people flying into a third world country, as their final destination would inevitably be an improvement.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingNat001
Well I flew out of LAX this morning and it was business as usual today. However I had not a long conversation with one of the red coats at the gate that I have gotten to know during the past few months/years of flying this same flight. And he told me that by the end of October LAX will be officially name a HUB. I usually don't make much of this "rumors" however I have gotten to know him and he's always pretty accurate on the things he had said in the past. So I have no reason to doubt him, however I just don't see LAX being a HUB for the simple reason of gate space or the lack of.

Any thoughts fellow FT's

Natalie
LAX is getting HUB status very soon. The customer will not notice anything when this happens, the employees will. Times and metrics will all change for the better for the employees when HUB status is reached.

LAX is growing for Delta and will continue to grow over the next year.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
I guess LAX is currently a focus city. LAX was considered a hub with the merger with Western in the late 1980's, and remained so for many years. From DL:

Updated June 2014

Worldwide Service

Delta Air Lines serves nearly 165 million customers each year. This year, Delta was named the 2014 Airline of the Year by Air Transport World magazine and was named to FORTUNE magazine’s 50 Most Admired Companies, in addition to being named the most admired airline for the third time in four years. With an industry-leading global network, Delta and the Delta Connection carriers offer service to 333 destinations in 64 countries on six continents. Headquartered in Atlanta, Delta employs nearly 80,000 employees worldwide and operates a mainline fleet of more than 700 aircraft. The airline is a founding member of the SkyTeam global alliance and participates in the industry’s leading trans-Atlantic joint venture with Air France-KLM and Alitalia as well as a newly formed joint venture with Virgin Atlantic. Including its worldwide alliance partners, Delta offers customers more than 15,000 daily flights, with key hubs and markets including Amsterdam, Atlanta, Boston, Detroit, Los Angeles, Minneapolis-St. Paul, New York-JFK, New York-LaGuardia, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Salt Lake City, Seattle and Tokyo-Narita. Delta has invested billions of dollars in airport facilities, global products, services and technology to enhance the customer experience in the air and on the ground. Additional information is available on delta.com, Twitter @Delta, Google.com/+Delta, Facebook.com/delta and Delta’s blog takingoff.delta.com.
Source: http://news.delta.com/Stats-Facts

From SkyTeam:

Delta Air Lines

Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL)

Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG)

John F. Kennedy International Airport, New York (JFK)

Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)

Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW)

Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport (MSP)

Memphis International Airport (MEM)

Tokyo Narita International Airport (NRT)
SOURCE: https://www.skyteam.com/en/Why-SkyTe.../SkyTeam-Hubs/

So according to SkyTeam MEM and CVG are still hubs and SEA and LAX are not. Perhaps this is an old link?
Old Sep 28, 2014, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Delta apparently already considers LAX to be a hub...

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=20309&cat=3191
Old Sep 28, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
What does it matter if an airport is called a "hub" or "focus city"? The pay is the same, I believe.

I understand a "base" for FA's and pilots being a huge factor, but for agents/ramp on the ground. Who cares if it is a "hub".

I see LAX, similar to BOS. "Focus city".

I remember when DL had hubs at MCO, DFW, CVG. Times change.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
Delta apparently already considers LAX to be a hub...

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=20309&cat=3191
According to the website, LAX, BOS, CVG, SEA are all "hubs"!
Old Sep 28, 2014, 9:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It would be more convincing if DL were grabbing the four gates in T6 that are apparently going to AA. Then DL would have space to expand at LAX.

However, more generally, I'm not sure I see the wisdom of DL stressing "hubs" like JFK, LAX, and SEA now as they're very competitive markets with much more competitive fares in general than ATL, DTW, MSP, CVG, MEM, SLC, etc. Why expand in places where you must offer low prices and might get into price wars?
Old Sep 28, 2014, 9:26 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kettle1
I understand a "base" for FA's and pilots being a huge factor, but for agents/ramp on the ground. Who cares if it is a "hub".
I am not sure what you mean but there are FA/pilot bases at non-hub airports. A base does not require hub status.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It would be more convincing if DL were grabbing the four gates in T6 that are apparently going to AA.
Delta can't grab them. There is a deal between LAX and AA that AA gets first dibs on any open gates. It's part of the airport master plan, and compensation for some stuff that AA gave up for the new midfield terminal.

Personally, I think AA pax are going to hate walking through two sets of tunnels as I also understand that the existing bus service from T4 to T6 is going to be discontinued once the T4 to T5 tunnel reopens. Maybe Dougie knows best, but the latter seems downright stupid.

David
Old Sep 28, 2014, 9:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wonder whether those AA passengers will be using the DL electric golf carts for free in the tunnel between T5 and T6 to ease their pain.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 9:31 pm

It would be more convincing if DL were grabbing the four gates in T6 that are apparently going to AA.
Agree with this. ^ DL is maxed out at LAX. Terminal 5 is a zoo.

Does anyone remember the club DL had for the LAX-SFO "shuttle" flts they had every hour from Terminal 6 around 1990? It was great. It was not a Crown Room - it was only for the LAX-SFO shuttle flts.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by TTT
I am not sure what you mean but there are FA/pilot bases at non-hub airports. A base does not require hub status.
All I mean is there is no pay increase for a ground staff person to work at a "hub", "focus city", or any other airport. So I have no idea why the Red Coat at LAX could care less. THE PAY IS THE SAME.

As far as the FA/pilot bases it makes no difference. If a FA lives in RNO and DL adds - RNO-LAX as a NEW flt nonstop as a "hub", that would make a big difference for that FA.

DL used to fly LAX-RNO, LAX-FAT-RNO, all on 737's back in the day. This came from Western. They got rid of it and WN has that market.

Again, what does it matter if a city is called a "hub".

I've always considered LAX a DL hub. Still do when I fly out of LAS (home). It is a "hub" for me. I use it, but SLC works so much better.

DL used to fly 767's LAS-LAX years ago. Than they went RJ's/mainline. Than nothing (nothing on DL). Than all mainline. Now back to all RJ's (SkyWest).
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by radiowell
According to the website, LAX, BOS, CVG, SEA are all "hubs"!
They seem to be at odds with themselves as LAX and BOS are not listed as hubs here -- http://news.delta.com/Stats-Facts
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
However, more generally, I'm not sure I see the wisdom of DL stressing "hubs" like JFK, LAX, and SEA now as they're very competitive markets with much more competitive fares in general than ATL, DTW, MSP, CVG, MEM, SLC, etc. Why expand in places where you must offer low prices and might get into price wars?
Where exactly are they supposed to expand? Captive hubs where you own almost all of the local market mostly means that adding service = driving your own margins down, since you now have more seats to fill in your market, and more costs in fuel/staff/etc.. It's not like you can steal business from yourself in DTW...

Now, if you're basically arguing that DL should just sit back and let natural rate of growth take over in their cities, OK, except DTW is shrinking as a metro area, CVG and MEM are backwaters that really don't have O/D to support much in the way of hub operations, so you have ATL, MSP and SLC, and the rate of growth isn't huge.

If, on the other hand, you have shareholders who like hearing that you want to get bigger as a company, you have to go where the new customers you can steal from other airlines are. Thus NYC/SEA/LAX. Given DL's profits, it's hard to see where they're going wrong. Now, granted, we'll see what happens in a down market, but it's not like AA and UA are going to be immune if there's another recession...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.