Search

A rumor about LAX

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:33 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kettle1
All I mean is there is no pay increase for a ground staff person to work at a "hub", "focus city", or any other airport. So I have no idea why the Red Coat at LAX could care less. THE PAY IS THE SAME.
The OP mentioned something about metrics. Could a hub classification make metrics and goals a little more flexible? Are staffing levels different in a hub? Those could be some reasons why a Red Coat would care.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by Profchemnerd
I guess LAX would be a good stopover for people flying into a third world country, as their final destination would inevitably be an improvement.
+1
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why expand in places where you must offer low prices and might get into price wars?
They are expanding in cities with great wealth and people who will buy premium airfares and expensive last minute coach fares.
I agree with others that right now space is a huge problem at LAX, but maybe they know something we don't about future gate potential. They already have some of T-6, and who knows, maybe they will eventually buy AS.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
They are expanding in cities with great wealth and people who will buy premium airfares and expensive last minute coach fares.
I agree with others that right now space is a huge problem at LAX, but maybe they know something we don't about future gate potential. They already have some of T-6, and who knows, maybe they will eventually buy AS.
If they want to buy AS, expanding in SEA is 100% the wrong way to do it- the DOJ is already starting to throw stiff-arms about competition, and eliminating your competitor in a market (after dropping UA/WN/etc. marketshare by expanding in SEA) is exactly the way to get them to go "sorry, nope, antitrust concerns". Please note that the overlap for UA/CO, AA/US and NW/DL was pretty light, whereas DL is going out of their way to increase AS/DL route overlap.

Oh, and that kind of assumes AS wants to be bought. There's zero evidence their management is thrilled at the idea of adding their technological and cultural distinctiveness that is the Borg Collective of DL, and their argument to AS shareholders of being pretty good at returning profits to them is actually bolstered by evidence...
Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:45 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
What to make of SLC

If LAX does indeed become a hub for delta, what would become of SLC? SLC is too close to LAX, i think, and wouldn't allow for efficient operation if SLC isn't significantly downsized.

Jiburi
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:34 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jiburi
If LAX does indeed become a hub for delta, what would become of SLC? SLC is too close to LAX, i think, and wouldn't allow for efficient operation if SLC isn't significantly downsized.

Jiburi
I think that SEA is a much bigger threat to SLC than LAX. Unless there is a significant physical expansion at LAX, there is no way it could handle all the traffic of SLC. Then again, I think that SLC has a fairly robust economy, and also serves as an important connecting point for a lot of smaller mountain communities.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I think that SEA is a much bigger threat to SLC than LAX. Unless there is a significant physical expansion at LAX, there is no way it could handle all the traffic of SLC. Then again, I think that SLC has a fairly robust economy, and also serves as an important connecting point for a lot of smaller mountain communities.
SEA and LAX will have nothing to do with LAX. SLC services traffic flows that LAX can not (same for SEA).

Delta isn't United where a hub must revolve around international flying. SLC is the only other airport that can really compete with Denver for the rocky mt. area.

FWIW by 2017 DL will be 100% F class in SLC (minus any OO at-risk flying) and is planning growth in both capacity and flights for that hub also.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It would be more convincing if DL were grabbing the four gates in T6 that are apparently going to AA. Then DL would have space to expand at LAX.

However, more generally, I'm not sure I see the wisdom of DL stressing "hubs" like JFK, LAX, and SEA now as they're very competitive markets with much more competitive fares in general than ATL, DTW, MSP, CVG, MEM, SLC, etc. Why expand in places where you must offer low prices and might get into price wars?
Check out the O&D traffic in NYC and LAX and you will quickly find your answer. If you want to win over corporations you must fly where they are.

SEA is the best (available) location to build a hub to Asia.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by NWA012
LAX is getting HUB status very soon. The customer will not notice anything when this happens, the employees will. Times and metrics will all change for the better for the employees when HUB status is reached.
Could you expand upon the metrics remark, and describe how designating LAX a hub (in something more than boilerplate at the end of every press release) will be better for employees, please?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
If they want to buy AS, expanding in SEA is 100% the wrong way to do it- the DOJ is already starting to throw stiff-arms about competition...
Ha! Why would DOJ start now? Where were those corporatist clowns two or three mergers ago? I think it would be silly to expect the feds to forestall any further damage. AS has to fend for itself in that one.

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
SLC services traffic flows that LAX can not (same for SEA).
LAX or SEA will never sub for SLC as an east-west connector and pressure-valve option for transcon traffic. The coastal corners are for international, Utah is for domestic. And SLC is preferred by many over MSP and ATL for quick gate-to-gate walk times and great bad-wx ops, two great advantages. (Ran breathless through MSP for 10+ minutes to make a quick connection last week -- walked three minutes through SLC on the way back.)
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Additional LAX flights

DL has loaded some additional LAX capacity for this winter/next spring within the last week:

LAX-SFO from 13x daily to 15x daily
LAX-MCO from 2x daily to 3x daily (start Spring 2015)
LAX-TPA from 10x weekly to 2x daily (Spring 2015)
LAX-SMF from 5x daily to 6x daily
LAX-SJC from 7x daily to 8x daily (including 1x daily mainline 738)
LAX-PHX maintain 5x daily but with 1x mainline (1x 739); currently all CR7/CR9s
LAX-YVR 2x daily (originally only seasonal but now going year-round)

Last edited by ClipperDelta; Sep 29, 2014 at 8:48 am
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Like others, I have no idea how DL will increase service at LAX with the current gate situation. There simply isn't enough room, unless they go to remote stands, which to me doesn't seem very efficient.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
Like others, I have no idea how DL will increase service at LAX with the current gate situation. There simply isn't enough room, unless they go to remote stands, which to me doesn't seem very efficient.
I hate arriving at the remote stands. If you have a checked bag, the remote gate arrival delays you at least 30 minutes getting out of LAX. Heck, it takes forever just to taxi out there.

David
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
How much flexibility is there in the non UA gates in T6? Aren't the AS gates preferential use rather than exclusive?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by DiverDave
I hate arriving at the remote stands. If you have a checked bag, the remote gate arrival delays you at least 30 minutes getting out of LAX. Heck, it takes forever just to taxi out there.

David
Not to worry. Those without checked bags are only 5 cars ahead of you on the 405.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.