Wiki Posts
Search

SLC-ATL Not Upgrade Eligible

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles

Recently bought a trip that includes a leg of SLC-ATL. Was listed as not upgrade eligible. Is this new? Are we no longer allowed upgrades on that route? Like in California?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by cfabar1
Recently bought a trip that includes a leg of SLC-ATL. Was listed as not upgrade eligible. Is this new? Are we no longer allowed upgrades on that route? Like in California?
A cursory search of SLC-ATL on a few random days shows upgrade eligible on all the flights.

Can you expound on the "Like in California" question?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I meant like the JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO routes.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: Delta DM 3+MM
What is your complete trip?

You say this is a "leg". If you're on a trip that has the same flight number, such as HNL-SLC-ATL, it is not upgradeable. It will state such on the website. See DL Flight 1105, which is HNL-SLC-ATL, and vice versa.

If this is not your situation, post your complete trip here, that would give an idea of your issue.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Is the flight number shared with an International flight? Are you connecting from international to this flight? Do they happen to use business fare classes instead of domestic first fare classes? Is the flight number shared with a flight that wouldn't get upgrades? Is delta.dumb having a brain fart? Any of these are reasons for it showing that. However the route is eligible for normal medallion upgrades per the rules.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 1:18 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Is the flight number shared with an International flight? Are you connecting from international to this flight? Do they happen to use business fare classes instead of domestic first fare classes? Is the flight number shared with a flight that wouldn't get upgrades? Is delta.dumb having a brain fart? Any of these are reasons for it showing that. However the route is eligible for normal medallion upgrades per the rules.
I'm guessing here that the flight is DL15, which originates in FRA, albeit using different equipment.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by us2
I'm guessing here that the flight is DL15, which originates in FRA, albeit using different equipment.
Figured. I didn't check, just copy and pasted the answer I have saved for everytime this question gets asked which covers the reasons.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz 5*, SPG
This can also happen if you aren't logged in when booking. Try @deltaassist and see if they can fix.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 1:52 pm
formerly Mdanner423

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Most likely it's a portion of an international flight, regardless if it's logical or on the same plane or anything, if they have the same flight number it won't let you upgrade.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by us2
If the route in question is SLC-ATL, wouldn't that be out of the question?

ATL-SLC, yes. But not SLC-ATL.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 4:33 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by james318
If the route in question is SLC-ATL, wouldn't that be out of the question?

ATL-SLC, yes. But not SLC-ATL.
Sorry about that, I was on 15 a few days ago. DL 16 does the same route in reverse SLC-ATL / change of equipment - FRA. It should be upgradable, but with DL's IT...
Old Sep 21, 2014, 5:06 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver

cfabar1, are you sure you didn't book SCL/ATL

Last edited by davetravels; Sep 21, 2014 at 5:17 pm
Old Sep 21, 2014, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by us2
Sorry about that, I was on 15 a few days ago. DL 16 does the same route in reverse SLC-ATL / change of equipment - FRA. It should be upgradable, but with DL's IT...
It's the ATL centric view of the universe that DL has. Flights only go FROM ATL.

You may have hit the nail on the head that it is DL 16 though.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
I am on DL 142 from MSP to DTW (flight number continues on to FRA) on Wednesday, and I was upgraded into Business (domestic First on this flight).
So clearly Delta is able to figure this out.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MarkCron
I am on DL 142 from MSP to DTW (flight number continues on to FRA) on Wednesday, and I was upgraded into Business (domestic First on this flight).
So clearly Delta is able to figure this out.
Correct there's no problem with the actual upgrade. The problem is Delta.dumb has problems understanding if it should tell you that it is upgrade eligible. It thus normally returns a "Not Upgrade Eligible" message giving the appearance that you won't get an upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.