Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Another frustrating Delta/KLM experience

Old Sep 21, 2014, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta FO

I am currently at the AMS airport on an AMS-LAX KLM codeshare flight. I've had an EC seat, 12A, assigned to me for the past 60 days. I went to great lengths and hassles, with considerable expenditure of time to get this seat. Now, of course, KLM has taken it away and given me a seat in the back of the plane. Delta Assist via Twitter seems to not be able to do anything. I've tried calling the Diamond line and they only have excuses. Any other options? I'm pretty sure this seems to be common practice.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 1:34 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
It's happened to me before. My boarding pass didn't show my elite status and had me as a general FB member (Ivory). They moved me way to the back and there were empty seats in EC. I could kick myself for not having my DM card on me or any recent boarding passes. Now I always travel with both when flying international. This first happened at ORD on my way to AMS. The GAs offered no help. I assume I would have gotten better help if I had proved my DM status.

I think someone mentioned in another thread about not logging into their FB account when entering their confirmation number or something. I should probably search for that because I do have an upcoming flight on KLM, I think (a short inter EU flight).
Old Sep 21, 2014, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta FO
I've had to kick and scratch my way around with KLM, proving my status, as I also have Ivory printed on my boarding pass. Everything is a struggle. I'm having the same experiences with Alaska codeshare flights. I'm pretty much done flying partner airlines with Delta, although I have several international trips booked for the remainder of the year, and I will come better prepared for the fights.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 4:00 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Did you confirm the seat at KLM.com using the KLM confirmation number (if booked at Delta.com)?

Unfortunately, seats chosen at delta.com for KLM flights do not stick. They should just not allow you to choose seats (on delta.com) for these flights.

A warning to all :
(a) check your seats at klm.com (using the KLM confirmation number)
(b) tweet KLM (not delta) with the KLM confirmation number, and have them assign your preferred Economy Comfort Seat
(c) and check your seats again at klm.com (or, as we often do at delta.com; create a klm.com account (without a Flying Blue #) and save your itineraries to this account to make it easy to check on your seat (this will also integrate with the KLM iPhone APP to allow you to check things, and re-check things). It's important to never correlate a non-status (Ivory) Flying Blue number to your reservation. Hence, why I have a klm.com account with only my Delta number and passport/personal details. Makes life easier for checking in, never any fear that the Flying Blue number will be mistaken as the (non)status/preferred frequent flyer number.

If you need to claim a Flying Blue Award (from credit card transfers); setup a separate account just for that (with your non-status Flying Blue Ivory number).

It's unfortunate, but for the time being, this seems to be the way things work best.

On this multi-flight itinerary booked by Delta (006 ticket), the only way I "trust" the KLM segment (seats) is to see it on klm.com. Anything regarding seats on delta.com is best ignored. A screen shot, of how things should look when you view the KLM segment (also, AMS-LAX) on klm.com. And, yes, I'm patiently waiting for my upgrade to clear; already cleared for the return BOS-AMS.

Last edited by baccarat_king; Sep 21, 2014 at 4:49 am
Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by yohanson
I could kick myself for not having my DM card on me or any recent boarding passes. Now I always travel with both when flying international.
TIP:
Whenever one travels internationally (Outside the USA) carrying the Physical Card for whatever Medallion status one has, works wonders.

Have colleagues that carry their highest achieved Medallion card, even if it is expired, they have received service way better than the average flyer who is not a member of a frequent flyer program.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by dd1612
TIP:
Whenever one travels internationally (Outside the USA) carrying the Physical Card for whatever Medallion status one has, works wonders.

Have colleagues that carry their highest achieved Medallion card, even if it is expired, they have received service way better than the average flyer who is not a member of a frequent flyer program.
I can only speak of AMS; but the "virtual" Medallion Card in my iPhone Passbook is being accepted the same as a "physical card."

But, I do agree, sometimes having the physical card to present with boarding passes (etc.) has more impact.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:32 am

KLM confirmation number

How do I find the KLM confirmation number? I'm new to Delta, and at United the confirmation email gives all other confirmation numbers. Thanks for helping me learn.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by rolltide2
How do I find the KLM confirmation number? I'm new to Delta, and at United the confirmation email gives all other confirmation numbers. Thanks for helping me learn.
When booked on Delta 006 ticket stock, I am able to use my Delta confirmation number on the KLM website to access the itinerary. From there you can also see the KLM issued version of the confirmation number.

This is relatively new apparently as I always had to call Delta for the number previously.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 9:09 am

Thanks. I'll try that!
Old Sep 21, 2014, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Bicostal
When booked on Delta 006 ticket stock, I am able to use my Delta confirmation number on the KLM website to access the itinerary. From there you can also see the KLM issued version of the confirmation number.

This is relatively new apparently as I always had to call Delta for the number previously.
This is good to know. I've always just called Delta and asked. But, many times, I call to make my reservations; since when I purchase on delta.com with foreign address and credit card it often "forces" it as an 074 reservation; and I prefer it be a 006 reservation since credits/refunds are much more seamless that way (I often purchase refundable, "M-fares"). So, it's just easy enough to ask after I have completed the telephone reservation.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by Bicostal

This is not new.
I have always been able to see my itinerary on klm.com using my TICKET NUMBER, when booked on Delta 006 ticket stock.

Originally Posted by Grouchy
Nowaydays afaik it is it only possible to search on the booking code and no longer on the ticket number @KLM.com.
Only at checkin the site allows you to use your ticket number.
1. Even though I have a klm FB account I do not log in, just use the ticket number if it is my reservation.
2. For others in my family and friends, since they do not have KLM FB accounts using the ticket number allows one to see the complete itinerary.

Last edited by dd1612; Sep 21, 2014 at 10:37 am
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Nowaydays afaik it is it only possible to search on the booking code and no longer on the ticket number @KLM.com.
Only at checkin the site allows you to use your ticket number.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Grouchy
Only at checkin you can use your ticket number.
There is a "work-around," for this.

If you DO NOT LOG-IN (under "My Trip"), you can use booking confirmation # or e-ticket # :

If you are logged-in, you can ONLY use the KLM booking confirmation # :

Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by dd1612
This is not new.
I have always been able to see my itinerary on klm.com using my TICKET NUMBER, when booked on Delta 006 ticket stock.

1. Even though I have a klm FB account I do not log in, just use the ticket number if it is my reservation.
2. For others in my family and friends, since they do not have KLM FB accounts using the ticket number allows one to see the complete itinerary.
Using a ticket number beginning with 006 doesn't work on the KLM website if you are logged in using an FB FF account. The DL record locator does if you are NOT logged in as an FB account holder.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
[QUOTE=baccarat_king;23559520]There is a "work-around," for this.

If you DO NOT LOG-IN (under "My Trip"), you can use booking confirmation # or e-ticket # :

/QUOTE]

Hmm don't get that option..even when i don't log in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.