Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Systemwide Upgrade Requested"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2014, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM
Question "Systemwide Upgrade Requested," EXCEPT I didn't request it...

Hi All,

Just checked my itinerary, and my upgrade status reads "SWU Upgrade Requested." I don't have any SWUs, I haven't picked my Choice Benefit (i.e., RUCs), and I haven't requested a mileage upgrade (i.e., my fare class doesn't qualify). Is this a DL IT bug? If I don't do anything, will this status somehow bump me up on the UG list?

Very strange...

Last edited by UVAhoo06; Sep 20, 2014 at 6:43 pm
Old Sep 20, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite

Interesting. I would honestly call and check what's going on. It may be a bug, but if your regular medallion upgrade isn't requested then you could lose that opportunity.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by suvayanr
Interesting. I would honestly call and check what's going on. It may be a bug, but if your regular medallion upgrade isn't requested then you could lose that opportunity.
Since OP says fare class doesn't qualify for upgrade I'm guessing OP is flying international. Thus no medallion upgrades. Not sure that calling will do much other then removing the upgrade request if OP is actually wait-listed for upgrade by accident.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Nope -- not international. Just plain 'ol domestic. I called DL and the CSR was confused too. I asked that the phantom SWU be taken off and he did it. Now, my upgrade status reads, "medallion upgrade requested." He thinks some agent before got confused and thought I wanted to use some UG instrument, which I don't have. He did say, however, that I was already on the medallion upgrade list. DL IT strikes again...
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Strange as normally when you request a SWU upgrade, you're not also on the waitlist for a free elite upgrade before the gate.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Strange as normally when you request a SWU upgrade, you're not also on the waitlist for a free elite upgrade before the gate.
I would have left it as Systemwide Upgrade Requested as this has higher upgrade priority as Medallion Complimentary upgrade. It's the difference between an UP2A and UP2.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: DL PE, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, UA Prem, PC Plat
Originally Posted by BumpMeVoucherMeATL
I would have left it as Systemwide Upgrade Requested as this has higher upgrade priority as Medallion Complimentary upgrade. It's the difference between an UP2A and UP2.
But what would happen when the SWU request processed and there was no SWU for the system to draw? Wouldn't the most likely outcome be no upgrade for OP?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
My itineraries I've always make sure I have both the medallion and cert upgrades requested... sometimes I'd clear at the DM window for the medallion upgrade and the cert doesn't get used for that segment.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hoosiereph
But what would happen when the SWU request processed and there was no SWU for the system to draw? Wouldn't the most likely outcome be no upgrade for OP?
That's what I would assume would happen but I've never tried it. However, I also suspect that you won't get the SWU upgrade unless a SWU is properly coded, which seems to include entering the SWU number on the reservation.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:06 am
Original Poster

That's what I would assume would happen but I've never tried it. However, I also suspect that you won't get the SWU upgrade unless a SWU is properly coded, which seems to include entering the SWU number on the reservation.
Coding seems to be key here. The issue is when the agent (ironically) codes correctly but doesn't apply it correctly.

I'm thinking of redeeming RUCs for my Choice Benefits, and my fear is that the agents won't know what to do...
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by hoosiereph
Well, nowadays if you are waitlisted it says systemwide upgrade requested. Even if you are using miles.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Grouchy
Well, nowadays if you are waitlisted it says systemwide upgrade requested. Even if you are using miles.
Then if the OP's upgrade clears, DL might take miles from his/her account for the upgrade, assuming that there are enough miles in the account. This could be a nasty surprise if one had wanted a free elite upgrade.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
From my own experience (with SWU's put in incorrectly) if an agent key them into the system incorrectly and you get to fly upfront no miles, no SWU's are taken and you get a freebie.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Grouchy
From my own experience (with SWU's put in incorrectly) if an agent key them into the system incorrectly and you get to fly upfront no miles, no SWU's are taken and you get a freebie.
This might be true if your upgrade is somehow confirmed when the SWU isn't coded correctly, but I wouldn't want to count on this if I'm hoping that an upgrade will clear.

If the OP does nothing, there's a chance that OP will get a "free" upgrade without using miles or a SWU, possibly earlier or with higher priority than is warranted. However, if the OP wants the upgrade, IMO it would be wiser to have the problem fixed. It's all a matter of what is more important to the OP and how risk averse the OP is with respect to losing the upgrade or losing some miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.