No luck with GUC..(sigh)

Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by JulienMSP
i'm supposed to be returning via AF, bubba--i'm wondering how that will end up working out...

And to safigan--its the "way in advance" problem that we have with our work trips--they just can't be done that way due to too many factors that have lead it to difficult to predict when we are actually going to go..i imagine that was some of it too.
I wish you well! Good luck with re-accommodation.

I think the "way in advance" thing is by design. Get as much company travel to buy paid J. Just a thought.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I have, I'm number one for three seats left; but if you try to buy those seats on DL (since i no longer have ExpertFlyer); it won't let you so i think they are just unassigned
if it shows 3 seats then there are 3 seats. Delta may not sell them because coach is oversold and they know they need them. Looks good IMO for an upgrade.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:22 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
I was all excited to get this benefit and of course the first time I try to use it; even with careful planning on my part..it doesn't work. I'm just done with it.
Yes, but the nice thing about GUCs is that you haven't bought up to a higher fare class. So worst case, you wind up with your Economy Comfort seat at the best available price (at time of booking). Unlike the "old" SWU M+ fare game.

I "think" if you limit the usage of a GUC to one specific trip, you will just create unneeded stress. You have look at it like you have the opportunity for 4 upgrades international (from lowest fare) within 12 months.

But, as has been mentioned, the Air France strike has created an incredible strain on the system. I was hoping to upgrade last night AMS-JFK, but knew there would be no shot earlier in the week when I checked ExpertFlyer. Flight went out last night with 4 or 6 (I lost track) people being denied boarding during to an oversell of a 747. Luckily, I'm on a Z fare, already in BusinessElite for my return DTW-AMS on Tuesday.

FWIW, I think Delta is relatively fair with regard to upgrade instruments; and I've had very good success. Perhaps, it's just AMS-BOS and BOS-AMS. I also have to give Delta a lot of credit, they recently "royally screwed up" a reservation for October and a supervisor contacted revenue management and requested they release 2 seats in "O" inventory; to clear our upgrades for the return BOS-AMS. So, it's not all evil Delta. I've been very impressed by them taking accountability for their mishaps over the past week.

I still am a firm believer that the 4 GUCs provide a very good value, in the big picture.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:20 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I was all excited to get this benefit and of course the first time I try to use it; even with careful planning on my part..it doesn't work. I'm just done with it.
Here's the part I don't understand . . . .

The way I see it, there are 2 ways to try'n use these. Check ahead of booking to see what's available - then book what IS available, or book whatever flights work best for you and hope for the best with the certs.

So, how do you feel that you used "careful planning"- your words? I'm not really sure there's any way to plan ahead for these if the seats aren't available at time of booking?

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
I still am a firm believer that the 4 GUCs provide a very good value, in the big picture.
The way I look at it is, I usually choose the $200 ECV, so, if all 4 clear, it's like 4 - $50 UGs. If only 2 clear, it's 2 - $100 UGs, still a pretty good deal!

As I posted in my GUC success thread, I'm currently 2 down with 2 left good til Mar 1.

1 used CDG/ATL - just happened to have this booked & used on 1st day of program

1 used SLC/CDG - checked before booking

Both on V fares

Not bad, I'd say.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
H
The way I look at it is, I usually choose the $200 ECV, so, if all 4 clear, it's like 4 - $50 UGs. If only 2 clear, it's 2 - $100 UGs, still a pretty good deal!
I normally give She Who Must Be Obeyed GM status with a DM choice. But I needed the GUCs (ok, "wanted") and couldn't wait until Her status expires in March. I hope I get good use of them because the cost to me may be very expensive when She looses Her GM status
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Kryptonium Medallion, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Nope and nope. No one was upped. There were three of us using them. Flight filled up at least minute. Dave I'm not sure how else to say that I am not usually date flexible. And that when I booked, 0 seats in the forward cabin had even sold. . To me this says they don't actually have inventory at all on certain flights. As far as I'm concerned that makes the GUC useless to me as I'd only use it for a work trip.

Again I'm not surprised.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:33 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Nope and nope. No one was upped. There were three of us using them. Flight filled up at least minute. Dave I'm not sure how else to say that I am not usually date flexible. And that when I booked, 0 seats in the forward cabin had even sold. . To me this says they don't actually have inventory at all on certain flights. As far as I'm concerned that makes the GUC useless to me as I'd only use it for a work trip.
Newsflash, carefully planned leisure trips to Europe or Asia can be pretty sweet.

Do you not enjoy BusinessElite for longhaul leisure? Also great, since you can upgrade a companion.

Work should be buying BusinessElite anyway, then you wouldn't have these "pesky" work upgrade issues. (joke)
Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Kryptonium Medallion, Hilton HHonors Diamond
I dont go int'l for leisure (at least, yet)..maybe some day when I dont travel every single week, i'll actually feel like traveling when I'm off .. As it is now, I have something ridiculous like nearly a million miles. (RDMs) that I can't decide if I will finally use when I move into a new position that has me chained to a desk (fat-chance) or when I retire.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
I feel your pain, I'm on a flight Friday, JFK-NRT-HKG, back via SEA.

I booked the flight about 2 months ago and upon booking was able to secure the GUC on the return flight, which is most important to me as this is my last MR for---probably ever.

This gave me 3/3 on scoring the GUC upgrade, I have one left

I decided about a month ago to use it for this MR and was told I had to go on the wait list for JFK - NRT, but I could cash it in for NRT -HKG. I don't want to use a GUC for a 4.5 hour flight so I wait listed the longest leg and if that goes through so does the final leg. There were 20 seats open in first.

As of today there are 17 seats open and the DM desk says it will be day of clearance, due to revenue managment holding the seats for sale, they show lots of last minute purchases for this route, historically, or that's what they say.
Funny on the ride back there is only 1 other open seat showing open, but for me that GUC is already confirmed, glad rev mgmt missed calculated that flight

I'm hoping to get the clearance, but if not I have until March to burn the last one.

All part of the GUC game, I hope you get to use yours before they expire!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.