Left Laptop On Delta Flight...Help??

Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WWGuy
It's a lot easier for honest folks to return our lost items if we affix inexpensive adhesive labels with phone number and/or email address to the back or under the lid. Another identification method is to place contact info on the login or password screen when the device is turned on or powered up.

I continue to be amazed at the frequency of lost items threads where the owner is frustrated about inability to track down their missing items, yet these items don't have any useful owner identification or contact info attached to their gadgets.
WWGuy the first thing I did was put a lock on the laptop and sent a message that gives my contact phone number as soon as the laptop gets turned on, problem is, battery already died on plane and there has been no signal.
I also put my Apple Serial Number in my online claim, can't do much more than that at this point.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Originally Posted by twtrvl
Did it have lojack or another tracer on its system?
Cleaning crews find them. With laptops, they are shipped across the world. Here's a MacBook Pro with a new name which popped up weeks after I left it on a plane... It was in Santo Domingo. Left it under 4D on a 757 on ATL-MCO. Last flight of the night.

Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I had six items left on NW and DL flights. I was contacted by them when they were found due to having owner and contact information visible on the items.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by twtrvl
Did it have lojack or another tracer on its system?
Or a less than a penny handwritten label with your name & phone #?

Needless to say, this doesn't prevent theft, but the easier you make things for others, the more likely success.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: AA DULtArer
Tape a business card to the backside, covered up if you don't want the text to show for some reason. If it is indeed lost and not purloined, that will up the chances someone will call.

You can't convict an airline of poor handling of lost items when you have no knowledge that they even ever handled your item.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL Silver (aka, Delta AmEx PLUS), Starbucks Gold :)
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
OP, your situation sucks and I can only imagine the frustration you're going through. However, I have to ask - how does one leave their laptop on a plane? It's not like a cell phone, iPad, book, which is allowed in the seat back pocket and easily hiddne. You have to physically put it away in your backpack, laptop case, carry-on, etc. You really should take ownership for your mistake instead of blaming Delta (who may I remind you had no role in your losing the laptop).

Think about it - how many flights does DL have per day, with each flight guaranteed to have something left behind by a passenger (bracelet, book, phone, headphones, laptops apparently). The next flight someone gets on that plane, takes the seat of the passenger who left the item behind and realizes they just hit the jackpot and there's a shiny new Apple laptop with nobody's name on it. That passenger takes it as theirs and Delta doesn't even have a clue something was ever left.

To those bashing DL on their awful ability to recover items should refocus that energy towards improving their memory and not leaving their stuff behind. Or just accept they have poor memory and drop it. At the end of the day it's not DL's fault.

All businesses are customer driven. If Delta thinks like you, we're screwed.

The OP didn't say "I lost my Laptop because of Delta." The OP said "Delta isn't doing their job to help me."

If your mentality prevails, maybe I should pick up someone's lost laptop and say "They didn't remember so it's mine. Sucks to be them!"
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LGANightOwl
All businesses are customer driven. If Delta thinks like you, we're screwed.

The OP didn't say "I lost my Laptop because of Delta." The OP said "Delta isn't doing their job to help me."

If your mentality prevails, maybe I should pick up someone's lost laptop and say "They didn't remember so it's mine. Sucks to be them!"
Thanks LGA that's precisely the issue. If they were more customer focused and helpful but couldn't recover my laptop that's understandable, but the lack of attention is truly disappointing.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA G, Marriot Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I have been very fortunate - like most, I've misplaced a few critical items on the plane and been lucky to have them returned to me, both by DL and fellow pax. I suggest slipping or taping your business card into anything that could get misplaced, and writing 'cash reward if found' near your contact info.

Barring that, the local baggage claim office/station manager can actually be really helpful if you left your stuff on board a plane that is done of the day. The fantastic station manager in RSW once stayed with the cleaning crew until 2am-ish to supervise the recovery of my (dropped and vanished) blackberry. However, I've been warned that once you hit the 12-24 hour mark, it's unlikely your stuff will be found and likely it's grown legs...

Check your homeowner's/renter's insurance policy. Most cover you even while traveling and 'travel' with the person. Mine specifically covers almost all travel situations except lost checked luggage - e.g., if my hotel room or rental car is broken into, laptop stolen from the overhead, etc. I've never lost something big enough to hit the deductible, so not sure about the process to file a claim.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:27 am

Some Amex cards also provide coverage for loss/theft for a few months after purchase.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
IME
Just a fair warning about AMEX and left behind then got missing: YOU NEED A POLICE REPORT OF LOST TO GET AMEX CLAIM.

Been there, done that.
My DW label all my belongings the same way she did when our kids started pre-school!
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:41 am

Success at finding laptop left on Delta Flight

Trying to help others who accidentally leave their items on the plane. My husband left his laptop and remembered the next morning. We landed in ATL and called Delta as soon as we discovered. They gave us the lost and found # at ATL as well as Delta's lost and find #. Neither was successful. We were able to connect with the diamond customer service who contacted the baggage/Lost&Found in Atlanta. Delta has a lost & found room next to carousel 1 in ATL. They had found the laptop and was holding it! When we picked up the laptop, she said they only hide items there for 24-48 hours. Hopefully, this will help someone else.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.