Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Targeted: Step Up Status Promo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by yohanson
I disagree. The DMQM promotion from 2010 got me started on my status climb. There are many a FTer on this board who did the same. Also, I get targeted all the time with hotel promotions and I average about 130 nights/year in a hotel room. I even got Diamond status with Hilton a couple of years ago through a promotion. I have since dropped to Gold with them while maintaining my Plat status with IHG and Silver with Marriott.
Now and Then. Present and Past.

Are you still getting targeted this year for promotions as good as those a few years ago?

My guess would be no.

The industry is cyclic and years can't be compared to each other. A few years ago everyone was fighting for customers, now their bursting at the seams from so many.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Now and Then. Present and Past.

Are you still getting targeted this year for promotions as good as those a few years ago?

My guess would be no.

The industry is cyclic and years can't be compared to each other. A few years ago everyone was fighting for customers, now their bursting at the seams from so many.
Delta is still targeting SEA and I took advantage of that at the end of last year for travel this year as well as the LGA promotion even though I never flew in or out of there. I still got the 2K MQMs for it. IHG constantly sends me promos for weekend stays. I get them from Marriott and Hilton too but not like IHG.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:16 am

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Another kick in the balls from Delta.

Just bought a ticket tonight for first class on UA, cheaper than what coach costs on DL.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by apodo77
I have flown over 100,000 miles on DL (mostly on A and P fares) this year and credited it all to AS.

Have never been offered anything by Delta. Probably think they already get all my $ and don't need to give miles as well!
Well you are costing DL some revenue as they 'pay' AS for the miles you're earning.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 6:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can't 130 hotel nights per year get you better than HH Gold, MR Silver, and IHG Plat?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
This is a chicken feathers practice. I'm a PM/2MM and I couldn't even get a sniff of F yesterday (#8 after all F seats handed out LAS-ATL on a 767; F was sold out ATL-BWI on a 12 F seat A320--I was #5 on the UG list). And DL wants to inflate the number of GMs and PMs?

I've flown DL a ton this year (as of today, 117,000 MQMs, 8,000 MQDs and maxed out the $25k AMEX spend requirement). I somehow worked it out so that when I hit DM on the evening of 10/4/14, I'll have 125,004 MQMs. This is insane.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:05 am

Delta Promotion

I am Silver with Delta and received an offer yesterday to get free Gold status for two months AND if I book and fly a BusisessElite ticket (JFK-SFO or LAX or to Europe) during the two months I keep Gold status until January 2016 and get 50,000 bonus miles. Is it worth it to take the trip to keep the status and get the miles? How do I find the cheapest way to do it?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:12 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can't 130 hotel nights per year get you better than HH Gold, MR Silver, and IHG Plat?
You can get ALL three of those status's without spending ONE night in their hotels. You can get Hilton diamond without spending any nights in their hotels. The Citi Reserve or Hilton Surpass will get you Hilton Gold by just having the card and $40K in spend on either credit card a year gets you diamond, having a MR credit card gets you silver and IIRC a IHG credit card will get you Plat.

That REALLY irritates me as well. I'm at the SF Hilton right now as a diamond who spends 90+ nights a year in Hilton and couldn't get upgraded here last night when I checked in. My wife has Hilton gold and since Hilton started giving away the gold status like candy has seen her upgrades at Hilton plummet.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
People have reported BE fares for the JFK-LAX route of not much over $700 each way, so this would seem to be the cheapest option, but where do you want to go? You might find some sale fares to Europe around Thanksgiving for about $2500 or less, which would be an awesome long weekend getaway. Either way, you'll have lounge access for the trip.

As a FO, you should earn 175% redeemable miles for a BE ticket in addition to the 50,000 bonus offer, so figure that the miles are worth at least $600, more if you append them well.

Once you "earn" GM this way, you'll get 100% rather than 25% bonus miles for flights during the remainder of 2014 and additional miles under the new revenue based forumlae during 2015. You need to calculate thow much the GM benefits are worth to you based on your own travel patterns, but most people here think than GM is much better than FO.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: DL 5MM/PM/FC, UA Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Life Plat, HLT Gold, Club Carlson Concierge
Originally Posted by kugelfischer
I had no status this year after abandoning DL a couple years ago.

But thanks to the Seattle targeted offer, I'm receiving 12 months of Gold Medallion status, four months of SkyClub access and 25,000 RDMs for an outlay of $418. (Requirement was two K fare -- or higher -- round-trips on DL or DL Cxn metal within two months of registering; two SEA-PDX runs did the trick.)

If you call this route to GM disgusting, I can't blame you. These offers really undercut those earning it the hard way.
Delta: Really?? I'm probably not going to re-qualify for DM and already have well over $25k in MQDs. Somethings not right here...
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
You can get ALL three of those status's without spending ONE night in their hotels. You can get Hilton diamond without spending any nights in their hotels. The Citi Reserve or Hilton Surpass will get you Hilton Gold by just having the card and $40K in spend on either credit card a year gets you diamond, having a MR credit card gets you silver and IIRC a IHG credit card will get you Plat.

That REALLY irritates me as well. I'm at the SF Hilton right now as a diamond who spends 90+ nights a year in Hilton and couldn't get upgraded here last night when I checked in. My wife has Hilton gold and since Hilton started giving away the gold status like candy has seen her upgrades at Hilton plummet.
OT but I'm Platinum Premier with Marriott, and PP, Plat, and Gold get essentially the same benefits. IIRC every UA Plat or 1K (and of course GS) now is MR Gold automatically. At least the DL/SPG crossover program doesn't give away elite status.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by yohanson
I'm not indignant but I do wonder about the business acumen of the folks calling the plays in Atlanta when they flood the elite ranks with DMQM promotions and CC spend. Then, they try to cull the ranks with a minimum spend requirement only to then flood the ranks again with status promotions.
As others have suggested here, Virginia Ave appears to be trying to lure back folks that they have irritated and driven away.

And... how do they do it... by risking irritating the loyal customers who have stayed with them.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Let's see: So far this year, I have not flown on DL at all.

On Dec 24, I will be flying TLV-JFK in BE on an award ticket.

On Dec 25, I will be flying JFK-LAS on a K fare.

On Jan 3, I will be flying LAS-ATL on a T fare.

On Jan 7, I will be flying ATL-JFK-TLV on the return segments of my BE award ticket.

Is this enough to qualify me as Diamond in 2014 or in 2015?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Dovster

On Jan 7, I will be flying ATL-JFK-TLV on the return segments of my BE award ticket.

No, but only because you do not live in the NYC or SEA areas.

Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Dovster

You're already a KM - why on earth would you want to drop down in status?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.