Very Frustrated with Delta...

Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Very Frustrated with Delta...

I booked 4 tickets from CMH to LAX 12/26 for a 2 week family vacation. We have 3 young children (.5, 2, 4) and the only flight options were early 730am or late 6-8pm. We opted for the morning so the kids could get adjusted when we get to CA and then go to bed at a reasonable time. I selected a Delta flight at 7:35am, which would be brutal but I guess we didn't have many options.

I just received an email from Delta stating the flight time is now 6:18am, which takes things to a whole new level. We will have to get up at 4am and the kids are going to be a mess. I asked for a refund and they declined stating the flight needs to change by 90 minutes (we are 13 minutes short) to qualify. Like most I don't read the fine print when I travel, I fly 100 legs a year, do 150 nights a year at Marriott, and have never had this issue.

Do all airlines have the same policy, any tips on getting a refund to fly on another carrier?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I was under the impression that it only had to be one hour change to allow refund/change of flights. I know for changing flight that you need a one hour time change, so I'm not sure where the 90 minutes is coming from. I'd call back and if they say no HUCA.

Also you know your children, but 4am sounds about when you should be getting up for the 735am flight. Getting them up, dressed, fed, loading everything up, driving to the airport, checking bags (at least 30-45 minutes before departure), and then making it through security for the flight. For 618am I'd say closer to 330 at the latest is when I would have children up.

Last edited by flyerCO; Sep 18, 2014 at 7:01 am
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I was under the impression that it only had to be one hour change to allow refund/change of flights. I know for changing flight that you need a one hour time change, so I'm not sure where the 90 minutes is coming from. I'd call back and if they say no HUCA.
Rule 240(b) of the Delta domestic CoC
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Do you really want a refund or want to change to a different flight?

I don't have any experience with asking for a refund, but I have always had success in getting DL to change my flight (even airports) if there was a schedule change. Now granted, I am Platinum so I'm sure that helps -- but in general they are pretty accomodating.

You should call back with a reason why it doesn't work (i.e. cannot take that early flight because I have to meet someone or I have a nurse that comes to my house and draws my blood at 6am)...something to explain that it is a real burden rather than I just don't want to wake up early.

Would be very surprised if they don't help you
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Bicostal
Rule 240(b) of the Delta domestic CoC
I guess being DM they've allowed me to refund at 60 instead of 90. I've never been told I needed 90 minutes, but as always YMMV and being a DM can sometimes make things vary even more.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
Two suggestions. First, call back and try again. Second, take to Twitter and seek some help from @DeltaAssist.

Of course, getting a refund might not be ideal. Appears the only other nonstop is AA and it's an evening flight. So you could have DL move you to their evening flight. Or, have them switch you to a connection (I travel with 3 of that age range myself frequently so I know that isn't ideal). There's a 9am via MSP, arriving at 1:15pm, with an hour in MSP, so tight with three kids, but gives you more morning time and gets you into LAX at a reasonable time. I suspect they'll be much more accommodating moving you to another DL flight versus giving the refund.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by MOD220
Do all airlines have the same policy
Similar policies on all carriers, the airline you have mentioned in your profile, AA, required 2+ hour schedule change/delay for a refund. Otherwise its rebooking if 31+min.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:23 am

You got a bad agent. Agent roulette sometimes works. I'd call back. State that the schedule change doesn't work for your plans and they should reschedule you on another flight. Not sure if you can get a refund though if they're non-refundable tickets which I'm sure they are.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I'd try calling again ... and again ... and again

I don't know if this would be feasible, but there is a 930am nonstop from CVG; return leaves LAX 1220pm ar 720pm (which isn't radically different than the 1145 CMH flight you currently have, but if your car would be in Cinci it wouldn't make sense to fly back to Columbus)

there's also an 815am over Detroit with a 2+hr layover, arriving LAX at 210pm
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:30 am

Probably cant get a refund but if there is any DL flight that works better for you, call back, let them know the change doesnt work for you and then suggest your flight of choice.

If needed chime in with your sob story but honestly DL is usually shockingly flexible with these kind of changes.

Like others upthread I've been able to change dates, airports, routings etc for relatively minor changes - sometimes getting off of a cheap and inconvenient one stop to a much more expensive nonstop at no cost. The key is to feed them the alternative flight or lead them to the alternative flight "gee maybe you could check and see if there is anything out of CVG that could work..."
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. You are well below the threshold for a refund. Don't use silly and untrue excuses as those are transperent and are the kinds of things covered by your travel insurance.

2. You can keep calling DL, but they do note your PNR and the reality of the old days is over.

3. Do you really want a refund or are you looking to make changes? If the latter, do some homework and figure out what you want and then call DL and ask for it. It's much easier to get free changes than refunds.

One more all won't hurt, but be prepared to move on to changes from there.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by SEUS777
You got a bad agent. Agent roulette sometimes works. I'd call back. State that the schedule change doesn't work for your plans and they should reschedule you on another flight. Not sure if you can get a refund though if they're non-refundable tickets which I'm sure they are.
OP did not get a bad agent. OP had their mind stuck on a refund which they were not eligible for
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
60 minutes allows you to make a one time change free of charge, provided your origin, destination, and dates of travel remain the same. (This is the message you see on the webpage when you're informed of a schedule change.)

90 minutes allows you to cancel and refund if you'd like. (This is from the Contract of Carriage.)

OP hit the jackpot, and should now be able to switch to any flight that day. If an agent declines, politely thank them, hang up, and call again.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MOD220
I booked 4 tickets from CMH to LAX 12/26 for a 2 week family vacation. We have 3 young children (.5, 2, 4) and the only flight options were early 730am or late 6-8pm. We opted for the morning so the kids could get adjusted when we get to CA and then go to bed at a reasonable time. I selected a Delta flight at 7:35am, which would be brutal but I guess we didn't have many options.

I just received an email from Delta stating the flight time is now 6:18am, which takes things to a whole new level. We will have to get up at 4am and the kids are going to be a mess. I asked for a refund and they declined stating the flight needs to change by 90 minutes (we are 13 minutes short) to qualify. Like most I don't read the fine print when I travel, I fly 100 legs a year, do 150 nights a year at Marriott, and have never had this issue.

Do all airlines have the same policy, any tips on getting a refund to fly on another carrier?
I know you were interested in a refund but have you considered changing to a connecting flight? A couple of options to consider are a connecting flight via MSP (departs at 9am, 1h layover, and gets to LAX at 1:15pm) or via DTW (departing at 10:11am, 31m layover, and gets to LAX at 2:10pm). Given that you are traveling with children, the longer layover may be better and you would be looking at a 9am first flight which would make it easier in the morning as well.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:14 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by javabytes
60 minutes allows you to make a one time change free of charge, provided your origin, destination, and dates of travel remain the same. (This is the message you see on the webpage when you're informed of a schedule change.)

90 minutes allows you to cancel and refund if you'd like. (This is from the Contract of Carriage.)

OP hit the jackpot, and should now be able to switch to any flight that day. If an agent declines, politely thank them, hang up, and call again.
Wow, Delta really requires a 60-minute schedule change to let you change flights? I just saw a schedule change of 40 minutes yesterday on a United itinerary and I called and was able to change to other flights because of the difference of 40 minutes...I don't like the "one time" change mentioned above either...if the schedule changes again, I would expect to be able to change it as often as I need to if an airline keeps making changes to my itinerary...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.