Wiki Posts
Search

Benefits of becoming PM?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM .5mm
Benefits of becoming PM?

Need just 5k MQM's to reach it and was planing a mileage run from ATL-SEA-SFO. Spending a day in SFO and returning. What did you notice the most once becoming PM? Do you get the upgrade certs immediately we have a trip to HNL that I would like to use them on?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The regional upgrade certs are one of the Platinum choice benefits options. You have to specifically choose them as your choice benefit after becoming Plat. Note that the regional upgrade certs cannot be used for ATL-HNL if you are on that flight to HNL. You need a global upgrade cert to upgrade ATL-HNL.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It seems standard for DL that you can pick choice benefits very soon after your new status is recognized in their computer system, typically about a day after your qualifying MQMs post, assuming that MQD requirements have already been met or you have a waiver. It takes a couple additional days to get the email inviting you to pick choice benefits, but I've always been successful in logging into my account, searching on delta.dumb for choice benefits, and following one of the first couple links to get into the pages where you can make your selection.

However, don't select RUCs until you're ready to use them as they expire in one year.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: DL
No change fees on awards (72 hrs) is by far the biggest benefit to me. I have made so many changes and the flexibility is expensive to get on paid tickets. It's not quite full Y, but those miles become worth a lot more. The fringe benefit is also the improved award space for PM which can be huge sometimes, especially a week out domestically.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
My wife is currently a GM and will be PM soon and the two biggest changes she is looking forward to (in addition to better chances of upgrades) are:

1. Free EC on international.
2. Use of the Virgin clubhouse at LHR when flying Delta out of T3 (Gold's don't get use of the clubhouse only PM and DM).

You won't see the kind of different that you saw when going from FO to GM but there are still some nice added perk's.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: DL PE, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, UA Prem, PC Plat
Originally Posted by paul21
No change fees on awards (72 hrs) is by far the biggest benefit to me.
+1

Especially for flying with the family, when multiple seats are needed. The ability to gradually improve an award booking to preferred times, routings, and often, even to a lower price, is the most valuable benefit of PM to me.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by paul21
No change fees on awards (72 hrs) is by far the biggest benefit to me. ...
Originally Posted by hoosiereph
+1 ... The ability to gradually improve an award booking to preferred times, routings, and often, even to a lower price, is the most valuable benefit of PM to me.
this one has been in my calculus for awhile, since I use award tix for probably 2/3 of my wife's travel
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
... Free EC on international.
I'm not sure that next year has much chance of international travel, but this could be HUGE in 2016

my conundrum is that I'm projecting ending this year at approx 85K MQM and $6300 in MQD ... yeah, I could do the WFBF thing on my two Dec TCONs to make PM for 2015, but I think I'll probably hit the AmEx waiver next year; that extra 25K in rollover miles would take a lot of pressure off getting to PM in anticipation of 2016 (of course they could change the rules and schwack rollover after next year, but let's not digress into "enhancements")
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott PP, National EE
Anyone notice a huge difference in getting first class upgrades with the jump from GM to PM?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
I am NYC based and I alternate between PM and DM. I don't notice much difference between those two, but I certainly noticed a difference once I made the jump from GM to PM. I gifted a friend GM this year, and he traveled virtually every trip with me. I was *always* upgraded (as a DM). He *never* was as a GM.

The flexibility with award tickets has been amazing, especially for the multicity SYD trip I have coming up. I have made so many changes. I keep an eye on it and when one of the flights LAX-JFK had low business open up, I could change from low coach with no fee.

The choice benefits are nice. I always go with the miles, since I redeem for business internationally. All in all, I think it is worth it. For me now, however, there is no reason to push for DM v. PM, given the changes coming up...
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: DL PM, 1.1MM
If you fly a lot on the transcons (JFK-SFO/LAX/SEA) PMs and DMs are now often added to the upgrade list (even if the official policy says otherwise).
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: Show me the points!
Originally Posted by AxlBear
Anyone notice a huge difference in getting first class upgrades with the jump from GM to PM?
As an ATL based traveler - no. I was 2 spots ahead of my GM friend the other day LAX-ATL.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: DL PM / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Orion316
If you fly a lot on the transcons (JFK-SFO/LAX/SEA) PMs and DMs are now often added to the upgrade list (even if the official policy says otherwise).
This. I'm 3/6 for upgrades JFK-LAX thanks to being PM. Tied as biggest perk with no charge award changes.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by nichojo
As an ATL based traveler - no. I was 2 spots ahead of my GM friend the other day LAX-ATL.
That's just one single flight experience, you can't count it as statistically significant.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
I spent very little time as a GM, probably about 3 weeks because of my travel plans at the time, but I have noticed as a PM a considerable increase in the level of customer service I receive.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: Show me the points!
Originally Posted by fly747first
That's just one single flight experience, you can't count it as statistically significant.
I don't, I count all the other times I don't get upgraded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.