Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Lost My Bag

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: DL GE
This has not been my experience with Delta, calling in has always provided the information I needed. Very strange....

All I can suggest for anyone new and reading this is buy things specifically for travel. I keep only one week worth of clothes (seven days) in my bag, I have receipts for everything that is inside my bag and it all stays in there whether I am gone for 3 days or two weeks.

Nothing more is added, nothing is taken out except to wash and put back when I get home or on the weekends of a two week job.

For domestic US flights (not OPs) air carriers are required to reimburse you now for your daily needs while your bag is delayed or lost. They will not tell you what this amount is, but includes everything you need.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum Member, Hilton Diamond Member
Originally Posted by pragakhan
This has not been my experience with Delta, calling in has always provided the information I needed. Very strange....

All I can suggest for anyone new and reading this is buy things specifically for travel. I keep only one week worth of clothes (seven days) in my bag, I have receipts for everything that is inside my bag and it all stays in there whether I am gone for 3 days or two weeks.

Nothing more is added, nothing is taken out except to wash and put back when I get home or on the weekends of a two week job.

For domestic US flights (not OPs) air carriers are required to reimburse you now for your daily needs while your bag is delayed or lost. They will not tell you what this amount is, but includes everything you need.
Losing your bag is a completely different story. I am assuming they have strict protocols they need to follow and can only send you standard canned messages over a generic email address for legal reasons in case of a law suit.

My bag alone costs $279 on Samsonite's website which was the first time I was using it. Unfortunately I do not have a receipt for it because it was a brand new bag that Samsonite had sent me for my other one being destroyed by Delta.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz 5*, SPG
The maximum reimbursement is set by US or international policy, and varies domestic vs intl. You can find the limits here:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...age-value.html

I am surprised that domestic is so high. I guess the lesson is never travel with more than the value that will be reimbursed. I once had my bag stolen during baggage claim after a cruise, and the max reimbursement there was $500, so these numbers actually seem generous.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SteelersWVU09

My bag alone costs $279 on Samsonite's website which was the first time I was using it. Unfortunately I do not have a receipt for it because it was a brand new bag that Samsonite had sent me for my other one being destroyed by Delta.
There's an easy work-around for that: show proof of delivery from the shipper to demonstrate the bag was 'new'. Valuation of any bag available in the U.S. at multiple retail points is quick & painless.

As for depreciated value of other contents, well, that's the (industry-common) rule.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
$600 in out of pocket expenses for some crappy clothes
I guess our definitions of crappy are on opposite ends of the spectrum.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
OP,

Your experience makes this video an even more evident farce:

No bag left behind

Perhaps one of the green font DL reps here will note the gap between rhetoric and reality and step in to help you.

Good luck.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:35 am
Original Poster

On top of it Delta never posted the miles to my account for the trip...
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:48 am
Original Poster

On top of it Delta never posted the miles to my account for the trip...

It looks like Delta posted them today. Very weird.

Last edited by SteelersWVU09; Oct 21, 2014 at 9:49 am Reason: update
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by lsugolfer
I guess our definitions of crappy are on opposite ends of the spectrum.
Mine too. I am not sure if I even own $600 worth of clothes. My most expensive item of regular clothing (not counting my skiing clothes) is a pair of Levis that I paid $36 for.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DesertNomad
Mine too. I am not sure if I even own $600 worth of clothes. My most expensive item of regular clothing (not counting my skiing clothes) is a pair of Levis that I paid $36 for.
Business clothes are very expensive and even more expensive in Europe not to mention I went to low end department stores.

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Oct 22, 2014 at 1:07 pm Reason: Removed unnecessary personal comment.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:40 am

Programs: DL,EK
Business clothes are very expensive and even more expensive in Europe not to mention I went to low end department stores.
I am glad that I own my own business. My business clothes are jeans and a polo shirt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.