Delta Lost My Bag

Old Sep 18, 2014, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum Member, Hilton Diamond Member
It's been over a week now since i filed my claim.. still haven't heard anything from delta.. called their customer service and package department and both have pointed me to each other to discuss the issue with. I am just hoping the claims manager that is supposed to reach out to me will do so after I am done my trip.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by kjnangre
Claiming reimbursement for the same expense twice is definitely not allowed
I took it to mean as a backup if Delta won't fully cover the cost, like as a secondary insurance--I don't know if that's even allowed, but I'm saying I don't see anything wrong with that. But yes, to claim double reimbursement if one claim already covered the full cost would be unethical.

Last edited by Marilu; Sep 18, 2014 at 9:16 am Reason: clarification
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Marilu
I took it to mean as a backup if Delta won't fully cover the cost, like as a secondary insurance--I don't know if that's even allowed, but I'm saying I don't see anything wrong with that. But yes, to claim double reimbursement if one claim already covered the full cost would be unethical.
It's also insurance fraud.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:05 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Marilu
If one insurance doesn't cover the full amount, you can get the balance from a second.

I had a $1500+ claim last year with Alianz when I bought travel insurance for a particular trip. Their max payout was less than half of the claim amount. So I also submitted it to my credit card since it was covered by their benefits. They paid the balance on the claim for me (telling them that I had already received $XX for Alianz on the claim..)
Old Oct 6, 2014, 8:55 am
Original Poster

I just wanted to provide everyone an update regarding this....

I have not received my bag yet. It has been a month. I filled out all of the necessary paperwork on Delta's website on 9/12 for lost bag and 9/19 for out of pocket expenses. Attached all of my receipts for the out of pocket expenses. Received an email from Delta on 9/27 notifying me that the claim was being processed and I was assigned a claims manager to work my claim.

The individual I was assigned sent me an email that was very hard to read due to poor grammar. They also forgot to attach a document that I was supposed to fill out. I responded asking for the document and had follow up questions. I received an email on 10/4 saying that I had not responded and Delta was closing my claim. I called Delta immediately and someone from their baggage team said they would be emailing a supervisor. The document that I was supposed to fill out randomly appeared in my inbox. The document is basically the same thing I have already filled out on their website. I sent it back in this morning and will be sending it via FAX as well.

I am really worried that this is not going to go anywhere and that I may have to look into small claims court and I am also very surprised how poorly design this process is and how difficult it is to actually talk to someone regarding on what is going on. If Delta has any areas of improvement is definitely around this overall process and the people they have operating it.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: AA DULtArer
The document that I was supposed to fill out randomly appeared in my inbox
My corporate acumen translates this as you missed the email. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I do hope this moves faster than it has, keep on them to reimburse you of course.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
My corporate acumen translates this as you missed the email. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I do hope this moves faster than it has, keep on them to reimburse you of course.
The attachment came over in the 2nd email that notified me that they were closing the claim. The funny thing is they responded to me with this email on the response I sent them asking questions and requesting the document.

Don't understand why they didn't address my email response and why they closed my claim after 14 days when it was really only 7 days after the initial message.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SteelersWVU09
The attachment came over in the 2nd email that notified me that they were closing the claim. The funny thing is they responded to me with this email on the response I sent them asking questions and requesting the document.

Don't understand why they didn't address my email response and why they closed my claim after 14 days when it was really only 7 days after the initial message.
I emailed and faxed the attachment back to them on Monday. It was basically a hard copy of what I have already filed out on their website. I sent them a follow up email asking if they have received and if the claim is open again- have not heard back yet.

The people in the baggage delay/lost department are absolutely useless as all they basically know how to do is look up the status of your bag on delta's website. I can't believe how difficult of a process this has been. Going forward I will carry on regardless of where I am going and how many weeks.

Last edited by SteelersWVU09; Oct 9, 2014 at 6:35 am
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As you have contact numbers and emails for both the claims adjustor and the supervisor who ultimately emailed you the form, I would call and email each of them separately, asking that they confirm that they have your two submissions (lost bag and out-of-pocket).
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
As you have contact numbers and emails for both the claims adjustor and the supervisor who ultimately emailed you the form, I would call and email each of them separately, asking that they confirm that they have your two submissions (lost bag and out-of-pocket).
Delta only gives you the name of the claims manager. They do not provide any number or contact information. All emails are sent from a generic account.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: DL DM. Marriott Plat. Hyatt DM.
Originally Posted by SteelersWVU09
I traveled from DTW to AMS on 9/6-9/7. When I arrived my bag was no where to be found. I filled out a delayed bag report. Have called the airport every day since then. My bag on Deltas tracking website shows that it was last scanned in at customs in AMS. AMS was trying to contact DTW to find the bag, but obviously it made it to AMS.

I went to AMS today and they cannot find the bag anywhere in the airport. They think the tag got pulled off the bag at some point. I have my name and # on the outside of the bag- but if the tag was pulled off it wouldn't have been scanned- which makes no sense.

I had a couple thousand dollars in clothes in my bag since i am traveling for 2 weeks and it's brand new luggage. I filled out a claim on Delta's website on Friday since it was 5 days. Didn't receive an email or anything noting the claim- so I hope it went through. I plan to follow up tomorrow with Delta. I am just looking to get compensated for replacement of my clothes and bag + what I had to spend on the cheap but expensive clothes I had to buy in Amsterdam. I have a silver membership and a delta rewards card member if that matters. Any advice? Or tips for a situation like this? If Delta is difficult I am thinking about small claims court.
Yup. Definitely worth getting lawyers involved. Seriously? Go buy some new clothes. Chill out, enjoy Amsterdam and send the bill to Delta. Or don't send the bill to Delta. Next time put costly clothes in carry-on. Problem solved.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: DL DM. Marriott Plat. Hyatt DM.
Originally Posted by JPCAG
Yup. Definitely worth getting lawyers involved. Seriously? Go buy some new clothes. Chill out, enjoy Amsterdam and send the bill to Delta. Or don't send the bill to Delta. Next time put costly clothes in carry-on. Problem solved.
If you read my posts you will see I had a similar problem. Ended up getting ALL expenses reimbursed plus one thousand dollar travel voucher.
Keep the faith ^
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JPCAG
If you read my posts you will see I had a similar problem. Ended up getting ALL expenses reimbursed plus one thousand dollar travel voucher.
Keep the faith ^
JPCAG- Thank you for the response. Was your your problem with delta? If so, did you just work with the claims manager over the generic email address that they are emailing you from?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Update 10/16... Delta has processed my claim, but only for $1,600. I requested over $3,000 for my bag that had 2 weeks of clothes..and had $600 in out of pocket expenses for some crappy clothes in the Netherlands and a bag to carry them around in...

Delta's customer service or baggage department cannot help me... Its left with the claims department, who hides behind a generic email address and sends emails out once a week... I am very shocked by this process and how Delta has handled this.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: Delta and Hilton Diamond
My guess is that they gave you the $600 in out of pocket expenses and then a maximum reimbursement of $1,000 for the lost bag. This completely sucks for you, but unfortunately I get it. It comes down to proof. The out of pocket expenses are easy to prove. You show receipts for what you bought. But the value of the bag and contents are near impossible. You could claim that there was a bag of gold coins in there and they would have no way to prove or disprove your story.

Delta has always been super accommodating with me and luggage issues. I've ALWAYS been compensated 100% for expenses I've incurred due to misplaced or misrouted bags. I've never had a bag lost though. I'm sorry the results weren't better for you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.