Medallion Tags - Boobish or not?

Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:16 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL PM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by yohanson
A badge around my neck is normally mandatory for me. But, that badge is normally a special one or two different badges i.e. company badge and contractor badge where I'm working. One, being my company (A Fortune 100 corporation but that's not why I have to wear it) badge.
I wouldn't take a job that required me to wear a badge around my neck. (Seriously)
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:35 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by 5khours
I wouldn't take a job that required me to wear a badge around my neck. (Seriously)
I usually don't wear it but it's also an access card that gives me "god" access.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
It took me a while and a few dollars to get my DM status - I wear and show off mine with pride -on my luggage though and not around my neck.
+1...it's part of my travel experience and I enjoy the occasional conversation that it (and KM) tag kicks off. I have one of each (FO, GM...) collected over the years on my roller.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
You would hate my job- I have a stack of 15 or so and have to swap them out depending on where I am visiting, normally wearing at least 2 at a time.

Wearing a DM tag?? Not so much.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: AA DULtArer
That is a lot of employment you are foregoing in todays world.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
....but some employers/organizations permit you to clip the badge to clothing rather than wearing it around your neck.

Would that make it better?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
<my 2 cents>

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
It took me a while and a few dollars to get my DM status - I wear and show off mine with pride -on my luggage though and not around my neck.
Originally Posted by scottsam66
This rings true I think for most people. Thanks for telling the truth!
^^^^

I will be PM in the next couple of weeks, and I earned all my statuses the hard way, after spending a lot of $$$ and a lot of time on the plane.

I put all my current tags on my carry-ons, simply because,

1. It helps distinguish my carry-on in the event that there are similar carry-ons on-board (trust me, it has happened, especially with the TUMI international carry-ons!)

2. Helps prioritize the delivery of bags, in the event I have to gate check it if I am on a CRJ/ERJ

3. Sometimes, the FAs are really nice and find a place for my carry on, on-board on CRJs; and I attribute it mostly due to them having seen the tags.

4. The FAs usually try to help and find a spot for your carry-on if the over-head bins are full; and, again, I will give the credit to the tags.

5. The SP lane dragons simply wave you in, without you having to stop and pull out your phone and/or your physical card.

That being said, I am totally against using the tags as a means for boosting you DYKWIA status! And wearing it around your neck is, simply, well for the lack of a better term, I'll say WEIRD and ABSURD!!

</my 2 cents>

Last edited by AvidFlyer1990; Sep 17, 2014 at 11:40 am
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: DL DM, BA Silver, Ritz Carlton Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold
ID Badges

I have worked in hospitals for 30 years. Photo ID badges are mandatory and required by the regulatory agencies. Some institutions specify lanyards, some require clips, and some don't care.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RRDD
Same reason that a 4 year wears a crown from Burger King
Hilarious because so true.

Originally Posted by sethb
You need to show your KM tag so the DMs know whose bag they need to carry.
The KM tag provides me with more satisfaction than any DM 10billion miler tag would. I love the DYKWIA text on the back. FA's, watch out here I come!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
I remember seeing posts about FO's and GM's paying for first and displaying their tags in the bins to piss off PM's and DM's thinking they lost their upgrades to lower level elites due to Sheena as well.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:01 pm

every single delta tag i have placed on one of my bags has broken off during travel, usually in a week or less

Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I still use my old bar-coded tags on checked-luggage and also have one of the small ones on my briefcase for kiosk check-in, but none of them get used much anymore since switching over to AS for all mileage crediting and their metal for most TCONs (and even AA for some flights like ATL-TUL that price at $250 vs $1200 for the DL direct).
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I use them. Makes my bag easier to identify and hell, when you make Silver Medallion you don't get very much so I like taking advantage of one of the perks of earning it.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL PM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Yep. But fortunately nothing that I would want to do.

Originally Posted by limey47
Photo ID badges are mandatory and required by the regulatory agencies. Some institutions specify lanyards, some require clips, and some don't care.
I used to work at a hospital. Guess I won't be going back.

....but some employers/organizations permit you to clip the badge to clothing rather than wearing it around your neck.

Would that make it better?
Somewhat but I still probably wouldn't take the job on principle.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DIA, HHonors DIA, Marriott PlA
Originally Posted by bartmas777
Not the DYKWIA type, but I use them for one reason... Once my inbound was severely delayed and I was the last to board my connection. Of course, nowhere to put my bag in the overheads (rarely check my bag). The FA, kind of rudely, told me they would have to check it and asked for my BP. She looked at my BP, confirmed my destination, then I guess saw I was Diamond. All of the sudden her attitude changed, "Mr Bartmas777, I'll just put this in the closet up front. Please don't forget it when you get off the plane."

I have kept one on my bag ever since and have always had the FA very willing to help find a place for my bag if needed.
BINGO!!! Exactly why I keep my DIA on my back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.