Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Jim Whitehurst career path in Business Week

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2014, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...ts-career-path

I wonder what Delta would be like if Jim had been chosen CEO after Grinstein's retirement. Glad to see he is doing well.

David
Old Sep 13, 2014, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
He should have been the CEO of Delta. After all he and Grinstein did for DElta during bankruptcy and then he gets such a huge slap in the face and is passed over for Anderson of all people. I'm glad he is doing well and hoping maybe one day he will make a return to Delta and do great things again.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: DL GM 2 Million Miler, UA, AA, FN, Marriott Gold, Holiday Inn Plat, Hyatt Plat
Wow, such a creative, out-of-the-box thinker.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
He should have been the CEO of Delta. After all he and Grinstein did for DElta during bankruptcy and then he gets such a huge slap in the face and is passed over for Anderson of all people. I'm glad he is doing well and hoping maybe one day he will make a return to Delta and do great things again.
Word on the street was that the creditors wanted the merger with US Airways and were not happy with the "Keep Delta My Delta" campaign. So the story goes that Whitehurst paid the price when the creditors voted for Richard Anderson.

Quote from wikipedia (which of course is always correct ):

Whitehurst became a very popular figure during the campaign to Keep Delta My Delta because of his transparent honesty and genuine affection for the company and its heritage. Some have speculated that his fierce defense of Delta worked against him as Delta's Board sought a successor to CEO Grinstein in 2007. Before his appointment as COO of Delta, Whitehurst served as Senior Vice President and Chief Network and Planning Officer for the company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Whitehurst

If that merger had happened, imagine the landscape today. NW likely would have merged with Continental, leaving UA and AA to attempt a merger. The latter would have been most interesting with both having large operations at ORD and good-sized operations at LAX.

David
Old Sep 14, 2014, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Word on the street was that the creditors wanted the merger with US Airways and were not happy with the "Keep Delta My Delta" campaign. So the story goes that Whitehurst paid the price when the creditors voted for Richard Anderson.

Whitehurst became a very popular figure during the campaign to Keep Delta My Delta because of his transparent honesty and genuine affection for the company and its heritage. Some have speculated that his fierce defense of Delta worked against him as Delta's Board sought a successor to CEO Grinstein in 2007. Before his appointment as COO of Delta, Whitehurst served as Senior Vice President and Chief Network and Planning Officer for the company.

If that merger had happened, imagine the landscape today. NW likely would have merged with Continental, leaving UA and AA to attempt a merger. The latter would have been most interesting with both having large operations at ORD and good-sized operations at LAX.

David
And so many AA FFers are so "happy" with Doug Parker... As an EXP, I'm not impressed with USdbaAA. As such, chosen to fall to AA Plat and remain a DL DM.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rwoman
And so many AA FFers are so "happy" with Doug Parker... As an EXP, I'm not impressed with USdbaAA. As such, chosen to fall to AA Plat and remain a DL DM.
But for the time being, RDMs are more reAAdily eAArnable on AA for the time being.

David
Old Sep 14, 2014, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DiverDave

David
I suppose that's the price you pay for being a nice person and living up to your word. I can't think of a more respectable person in the aviation industry. Mr. Whitehurst is a true gentleman.

I remember when I found out the news he was leaving. I was on a very delayed ATL-DCA flight (didn't arrive into DCA until almost 3 AM) and overheard the flight attendants discussing it. None of them were happy to hear he was leaving.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 8:56 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
For all that can be said, it would appear both he & Richard are doing pretty well right now...
Old Sep 14, 2014, 9:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Vuelos
For all that can be said, it would appear both he & Richard are doing pretty well right now...
Isn't life funny though. The guy who really did possess honesty, integrity, and mutual respect got edged out of Delta...
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Isn't life funny though. The guy who really did possess honesty, integrity, and mutual respect got edged out of Delta...
^^

Don't think he'd have plunged the knife in our backs like RA has, either.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:56 am
Original Poster

And Jim joins the board of UAL, just in time for a bout with activist shareholders:

http://newsroom.united.com/2016-03-0...dent-Directors

"James Whitehurst, 48, is President and Chief Executive Officer of Red Hat, Inc., a leading provider of open source enterprise IT products and services. Since joining Red Hat in January 2008, he has more than tripled the company's revenue from $523 million to $1.8 billion, while more than tripling the company's stock price. Under his leadership, Red Hat was named to Forbes' list of "The World's Most Innovative Companies" in 2015, 2014, and 2012; added to Standard and Poor's 500 stock index in 2009; and named one of the best places to work by Glassdoor in 2014. Prior to Red Hat, Mr. Whitehurst spent six years at Delta Air Lines, Inc., where he managed airline operations and drove significant international expansion as Chief Operating Officer. Mr. Whitehurst helped put the company back on firm footing as it emerged from bankruptcy in 2007. Before Delta, he held several corporate development leadership roles at The Boston Consulting Group, with clients across a wide range of industries. Mr. Whitehurst currently serves on the Board of DigitalGlobe, Inc. In June 2015, Whitehurst published a book with Harvard Business Review Press entitled "The Open Organization: Igniting Passion and Performance" showing how open principles of management, based on transparency, participation, and community, can help organizations navigate and succeed in a fast-paced connected era. He is a graduate of Rice University with a BA in Computer Science and has an MBA from Harvard Business School."

Jim - keep climbing. ^ ^

David
Old Mar 15, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Good for Jim. He'll be an asset to UA.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Delta's loss is United's gain. The DL BOD were fools for not making Whitehurst the CEO. You needn't look any further than the impressive job he has done at Redhat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.