Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta flight 446 cancelations AMS to BOM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Delta has cancelled the AMS to BOM leg of flight 446 since September 1. I am booked on this flight on Oct 3. Should I be worried?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by Janr
Delta has cancelled the AMS to BOM leg of flight 446 since September 1. I am booked on this flight on Oct 3. Should I be worried?
Just spoke to DL CS at DM desk.

Please Do not be worried.

The flight number has not changed.

There has been an equipment change ie change of type of aircraft used for this sector.

Also traveling Sept 30 on same sector.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:56 am

As mentioned above don't worry the last few days it shows up as DL9928.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:18 am

I don't think this route is going anywhere. IIRC, for historical reasons KL wasn't able/allowed to fly the route, but NW could. Loads are supposedly good and KL likes having the route as a feeder.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:44 am

Having flown this route last month, I think I know what is going on. When I flew the AMS-BOM, we took a huge southerly detour to avoid Ukraine, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, etc. This added nearly 1 hour to the flight. The same thing happened on the return. So what we are seeing is DL adjusting their schedule to account for the detour and lengthening the flight times.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG, Hilton, Starwood
Originally Posted by airindia787
Having flown this route last month, I think I know what is going on. When I flew the AMS-BOM, we took a huge southerly detour to avoid Ukraine, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, etc. This added nearly 1 hour to the flight. The same thing happened on the return. So what we are seeing is DL adjusting their schedule to account for the detour and lengthening the flight times.
This would likely screw up the usual aircraft rotations in AMS, so seems very likely to me.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 2:23 am

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
DL 446 arrived habitually late in BOM since the events in Ukraine, thus delaying DL 49 on the way back; both go over Egypt and Saudi Arabia these days. They have simply scheduled a replacement flight for DL 446 leaving from AMS an hour earlier, so that passengers on DL 49 have a fighting chance to make their connections in AMS.

Beats me why they don't just do a schedule change for DL 446, though, and give it a new flight number instead.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by PHXflier
DL 446 arrived habitually late in BOM since the events in Ukraine, thus delaying DL 49 on the way back; both go over Egypt and Saudi Arabia these days. They have simply scheduled a replacement flight for DL 446 leaving from AMS an hour earlier, so that passengers on DL 49 have a fighting chance to make their connections in AMS.

Beats me why they don't just do a schedule change for DL 446, though, and give it a new flight number instead.
I have two theories:

1. They are hoping its temporary

2. Reasons of legendary Indian bureaucracy
Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by mmichael453
I have two theories:

1. They are hoping its temporary

2. Reasons of legendary Indian bureaucracy
add one more:

3. Lousy ATC policy and response at BOM
ATC Bom makes the DL flight circle at least 2-5 times before being allowed to land at BOM.
This was never a problem as DL flight always came in over BOM 60-to-90 minutes earlier than scheduled, so circling the airport was not a problem and eventually ATC BOM allowed the DL flight to either land on time or 10-15 minutes early.
Now with the detour over Ukraine, this gap is not there anymore, so DL flight is arriving at BOM much after scheduled ETA.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by dd1612
add one more:
3. Lousy ATC policy and response at BOM
Seems to me you could group that under legendary Indian bureaucracy.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Now I'm confused. My flight from JFK to AMS is 446 which is due to land at 9:45 am. The 9928 flight is scheduled for 9:55 am. Does this mean I will miss the connection?
Old Sep 6, 2014, 8:56 am

Now I'm confused. My flight from JFK to AMS is 446 which is due to land at 9:45 am. The 9928 flight is scheduled for 9:55 am. Does this mean I will miss the connection?
Are you sure? Because my JFK-AMS flight is scheduled to arrive at AMS on Sept 30 at 9.45am and the AMS-BOM flight is scheduled to depart AMS on Sept 30 at 10.45am.

My suggestion is call Delta Customer Service and recheck the changes.
If you do it now, DL CS can put you on a different flight and you will get decent seats, otherwise you will be in a quandary!
Old Sep 6, 2014, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dd1612
Are you sure? Because my JFK-AMS flight is scheduled to arrive at AMS on Sept 30 at 9.45am and the AMS-BOM flight is scheduled to depart AMS on Sept 30 at 10.45am.

My suggestion is call Delta Customer Service and recheck the changes.
If you do it now, DL CS can put you on a different flight and you will get decent seats, otherwise you will be in a quandary!
I was looking at the Delta Flight tracking of 9928 for the times. My original ticket shows the same connection time as yours. Wish they would clarify the flights if they aren't going to keep all segments as 446. Will call to see if they can update me on what is going on.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 9:59 am
Original Poster

I was looking at the Delta Flight tracking of 9928 for the times. My original ticket shows the same connection time as yours. Wish they would clarify the flights if they aren't going to keep all segments as 446. Will call to see if they can update me on what is going on.
Called Delta. CS said that the JFK-BOM flight 446 did not change planes in AMS but just stopped to load and unload passengers. Not sure that I was given accurate information. Will continue to monitor the situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.