Search

Why DL006 TicketStock for MQD if JV?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, SPG
Why DL006 TicketStock for MQD if JV?

A question.

Why does JV flights need to be booked on DL stock in order to get MQDs if DL earns a portion of revenue regardless?

Shouldn't all JV flights, where DL gets a % of revenue qualify for MQDs regardless of ticket stock qualify?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
By requiring DL ticket stock, DL sets the fare price.

DL sets the MQD rules (and all other FF rules) as it wishes.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1.1MM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme

DL sets the MQD rules (and all other FF rules) as it wishes.
From what I've heard, it's much less nefarious. DL can't track how much you spent on partners, hence the 006 requirement.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by DLGrkItalNY
A question.

Why does JV flights need to be booked on DL stock in order to get MQDs if DL earns a portion of revenue regardless?

Shouldn't all JV flights, where DL gets a % of revenue qualify for MQDs regardless of ticket stock qualify?
Because MQD is a racket and a hack on systems that can't accommodate it.

(Note: I don't have a problem with the concept, but the fact that it effectively means partner flights, including "metal-neutral" joint venture flights, no longer count towards elite status for US residents is a terrible implementation that appears to me to violate the metal neutrality condition of the joint venture approvals.)

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I thought that DL and joint venture partners jointly set the prices on all joint venture routes regardless of the marketing or operating airline (or at least that's one of the conditions of the DOT approval of the joint venture).
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:36 pm
Suspended

Time for the DOT to undo the JV?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:07 am

I think it also relates to customer capture. By requiring 006 you need to use the DL website or a DL agent. Getting people in the habit of using the DL website or DL phone instead of KL or AF just keeps them one spot closer to DL (and all the related customer data that comes with using one of DL's booking portals).
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by Orion316
From what I've heard, it's much less nefarious. DL can't track how much you spent on partners, hence the 006 requirement.
Funny part is that in the past all delta.com purchases by Dutch nationals (and that nationality is not established solely based on credit card billing address, but also frequent flyer information) would be ticketed and invoiced by KLM. This means that you will receive a 074 ticket number even after visiting and booking at delta.com.
If you use a Dutch credit card, you will also be charged the standard KLM booking fee of 10 Euro.

KLM agents mentioned that this policy is in place for all bookings made by Dutch nationals.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo
I think it also relates to customer capture. By requiring 006 you need to use the DL website or a DL agent. Getting people in the habit of using the DL website or DL phone instead of KL or AF just keeps them one spot closer to DL (and all the related customer data that comes with using one of DL's booking portals).
Well DL handles all phone sales for KLM and AF anyway....?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
I used to use Delta.com to book my intra-European travel. This week, when I wanted to fly HAM-LYS, Delta says there are no bookable flights. Same with BLQ - - same with AMS! I found zero intra-European flights that could be booked on Delta.com.

So I booked HAM-LYS at KLM.com. But to my surprise, it is an 006 ticket, issued in the States.

I don't know if it will accrue MQD's but I kind of doubt it, since my last battle getting MQD's was on an 006 ticket AND booked at Delta.com. In my communications with Delta, they stated that the ticket must be on an 006 ticket AND (and this is a big and) be "Delta marketed". If the flight is NOT bookable on Delta.com, this might mean that it is not "Delta marketed."

I'll find out end first week of November if it accrued MQD's, but I kind of doubt it will.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SpinzCity
I used to use Delta.com to book my intra-European travel. This week, when I wanted to fly HAM-LYS, Delta says there are no bookable flights. Same with BLQ - - same with AMS! I found zero intra-European flights that could be booked on Delta.com.

So I booked HAM-LYS at KLM.com. But to my surprise, it is an 006 ticket, issued in the States.

I don't know if it will accrue MQD's but I kind of doubt it, since my last battle getting MQD's was on an 006 ticket AND booked at Delta.com. In my communications with Delta, they stated that the ticket must be on an 006 ticket AND (and this is a big and) be "Delta marketed". If the flight is NOT bookable on Delta.com, this might mean that it is not "Delta marketed."

I'll find out end first week of November if it accrued MQD's, but I kind of doubt it will.
DL marketed is pretty clear cut meaning. It means the flight you bought has a DL number. Has nothing to do with where you bought it. Just because it's DL marketed doesn't mean delta.dumb will offer it for sale.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Orion316
+1.^ It is next to impossible for airlines to accurately track interline revenue.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 4:49 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by TerryK
+1.^ It is next to impossible for airlines to accurately track interline revenue.
I have no doubt that that's the technical reason for the restriction. But it still makes MQDs a racket.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by Grouchy
Funny part is that in the past all delta.com purchases by Dutch nationals (and that nationality is not established solely based on credit card billing address, but also frequent flyer information) would be ticketed and invoiced by KLM. This means that you will receive a 074 ticket number even after visiting and booking at delta.com.
If you use a Dutch credit card, you will also be charged the standard KLM booking fee of 10 Euro.

KLM agents mentioned that this policy is in place for all bookings made by Dutch nationals.
Yes, and this is true the other way around too. In my experience: If you are a North American resident and book any transatlantic service with AF or KL, it will in most cases book with 006 ticket stock, regardless of the booking source.

I think that's just part of the terms of the JV.

This is also the nature of the MQD exception for Medallions with outside-of-US addresses.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by SpinzCity

From delta's own page:

Flight spend on Group 1, Group 2 and Group 3 partner airlines that are ticketed through a Delta channel (the ticket number will begin with “006”) count toward MQDs as well
At least for now, KL is a Group 1 partner, so if your flight is operated by KL you should get MQD regardless of it having a DL flight number or not.

This is interesting news if klm.com (and airfrance.com) bookings end up on 006 stock for US residents. This definitely did not use to be the case (all my AF bookings through last year were on 057). If true, it addresses one of my major complaints about MQD...
Old Sep 6, 2014, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bennos
....This is interesting news if klm.com (and airfrance.com) bookings end up on 006 stock for US residents. This definitely did not use to be the case (all my AF bookings through last year were on 057). If true, it addresses one of my major complaints about MQD...
I ticketed a KL itinerary via Priceline in May and it was on 006. Not sure if AF works the same way as KL though.

Last edited by TerryK; Sep 6, 2014 at 9:34 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.