Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strange non-upgrade on Y fare

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yet another case where it would be so useful to be able to see upgrade inventory on EF, in thus case OU/RU rather then OP/RP.
Originally Posted by Andrito
MSP, I could not agree more. It wastes my time and the agent's time for me to go through about 3-4 flights on the acceptable route to see which gives me the instant clearance into J/F. Today was a prime example of that. I am totally flexible on the return segment, so we went through 4 different flights until we found the ones which get me what I want.

I still don't see Delta's logic here...
Another plug for this. I've also noticed lately (being about a month ago...I haven't flown since July but had 3 RTs that month) that there seem to be a lot more bugs in the website showing Upgrade Available than there used to be. I think there were several threads on this issue 5-6 weeks ago. If DL displays it incorrectly online, displays it incorrectly to CSRs within the internal systems, and refuses to allow outside services to access the data customers lose. Actually, customers lose in any of those three cases, but it's really bad when they're combined.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, SPG PLT75, Hyatt Diamond
Small update.

I woke up to see my 1st segment reverted back into Y. I called Delta to see whats up and apparently there were no notes in my account about the 20-30 minute conversation which I had on the previous day.

The new agent put me into F quickly for the 1st segment(tied to AF flight) and then told me that I would be eligible for the complimentary upgrade on the 2nd segment(tied into VS) at the Diamond window. I told him that this was a Y-fare and supposed to be booked into J, if available(which he also confirmed it was). He told me that he was not aware of such a rule and asked for some clarification from me about it. At that point I suggested that we just get on a phone with a supervisor so not to waste each other's time.

Supervisor initially said that buying W fare does not book into the "right Y-fare" on domestic and that is probably the issue. I asked her what that meant. She thought about it a little more and agreed that her statement didn't really make sense since W is higher than Y fare. She told me that she will get to the bottom of it as it was clear the error was coming from their side. She "kicked it up 2 more levels up" and told me that she will notate my account that the upgrade was available at purchase while she tries to resolve it.

This was about 25 minutes into the call so she kindly offered to email me if it succeeded or call me back if there are any issues. Got an email about an hour later with my seat reserved in J for the second segment.

No harm. No foul.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Small update.

I woke up to see my 1st segment reverted back into Y. I called Delta to see whats up and apparently there were no notes in my account about the 20-30 minute conversation which I had on the previous day.

The new agent put me into F quickly for the 1st segment(tied to AF flight) and then told me that I would be eligible for the complimentary upgrade on the 2nd segment(tied into VS) at the Diamond window. I told him that this was a Y-fare and supposed to be booked into J, if available(which he also confirmed it was). He told me that he was not aware of such a rule and asked for some clarification from me about it. At that point I suggested that we just get on a phone with a supervisor so not to waste each other's time.

Supervisor initially said that buying W fare does not book into the "right Y-fare" on domestic and that is probably the issue. I asked her what that meant. She thought about it a little more and agreed that her statement didn't really make sense since W is higher than Y fare. She told me that she will get to the bottom of it as it was clear the error was coming from their side. She "kicked it up 2 more levels up" and told me that she will notate my account that the upgrade was available at purchase while she tries to resolve it.

This was about 25 minutes into the call so she kindly offered to email me if it succeeded or call me back if there are any issues. Got an email about an hour later with my seat reserved in J for the second segment.

No harm. No foul.
Since when can Y fares be upgraded to J? I understand Y to F we get as a benefit, but I'm not aware of buying Y and getting J. I'm confused or misunderstanding something.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Since when can Y fares be upgraded to J? I understand Y to F we get as a benefit, but I'm not aware of buying Y and getting J. I'm confused or misunderstanding something.
Its domestic. It appears that flight 1994 (PHX-JFK) is configured as a BE cabin up front. I assumed it was F, as well, but saw that I had a Business|(OU) seat once the upgrade cleared.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Its domestic. It appears that flight 1994 (PHX-JFK) is configured as a BE cabin up front. I assumed it was F, as well, but saw that I had a Business|(OU) seat once the upgrade cleared.
Just because you're receipt shows Business doesn't mean it's a Business flight. As far as I'm aware DL doesn't have any Business equipped flights into/out of PHX. Regardless of how it shows, you're in F and not J. It's just a computer mapping error. Happens a lot with DL. My flight LAX-ATL on the 777 is listed as Business, but I know from flying it frequently that it's just a mapping error, and is truly just F.

Other then JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA there's no domestic J products.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Just the usual flight number shared with international flight the F is coded as J. Its still just a normal domestric 737-800
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Just because you're receipt shows Business doesn't mean it's a Business flight. As far as I'm aware DL doesn't have any Business equipped flights into/out of PHX. Regardless of how it shows, you're in F and not J. It's just a computer mapping error. Happens a lot with DL. My flight LAX-ATL on the 777 is listed as Business, but I know from flying it frequently that it's just a mapping error, and is truly just F.

Other then JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA there's no domestic J products.
You are correct. I went in to select my seat and its definitely an F configuration.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CDKing
Just the usual flight number shared with international flight the F is coded as J. Its still just a normal domestric 737-800
When I posted I thought he was talking about a TATL since he was saying J. Thus my confusion. As I pointed out above once he replied it was for PHX flight, it's just a computer mapping error. Either flight number continues/originates international, the equipment happens to have a BE cabin, regardless it's domestic F service, or they book it as Business just because it's connected with an international flight segment in the reservation.

In this case 1994 doesn't show as an International flight number, and is on a 737 which of course has no BE cabin. Thus it's just an error in how the computer is reading the class because of the connecting international flights.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
In this case 1994 doesn't show as an International flight number, and is on a 737 which of course has no BE cabin. Thus it's just an error in how the computer is reading the class because of the connecting international flights.
The city pair sounded familiar, i thought maybe it used to be continuation of international flight number but never got switched back . I checked flightaware back to April and no other legs attached to the flight number

I did check Expertflyer and its coded as Businesss

J6 C6 D0 I0 Z0 Y0 B0 M0 S0 H0 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0

Interestingly enough the other flight of the day is also coded as business DAL1206

Last edited by CDKing; Aug 29, 2014 at 7:41 am
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:38 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
To clarify: the possibility of such an upgrade is only if the AF flight is in W class, not A. Correct?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pharaoh
To clarify: the possibility of such an upgrade is only if the AF flight is in W class, not A. Correct?
One time I booked W fare on Delta and got an upgrade to J on AF using a SWU. The other time, I booked the same fare on Delta, the agent told me that it translates into A fare on AF and, thus, not upgradeable. YMMV
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Anecdotal info on this issue, to show that it can be done:

I flew MSP-JFK-LHR-JFK-MSP on DL and VS last October. I searched for flights using B for the fare class, which brought up W for the for the VS TATL flights and Y for the domestic DL flights. I received immediate upgrades to F on the domestic legs.

I don't think the OP's problem is tied to the association with the VS flight; I'm guessing it's some Delta IT glitch. I've read of others encountering a disconnect between Upgrade Available and actually getting the upgrade.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:53 am

One time I booked W fare on Delta and got an upgrade to J on AF using a SWU. The other time, I booked the same fare on Delta, the agent told me that it translates into A fare on AF and, thus, not upgradeable. YMMV
Out of the three PE fare classes, W, S & A, only W & S are upgradable to J using a SWU.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mikepa
Out of the three PE fare classes, W, S & A, only W & S are upgradable to J using a SWU.
But W&S on AF are the most expensive PE, with A being the "cheap" one.
When buying a DL ticket, only if A is available on AF side would there be a PE available on the DL side and it would book in W.

So W DL does correspond (in price) to A AF.

IN the past (when O was readily available), I always bought DL stock that books into Y for the domestic (which would upgrade as soon as upgrade would be available, ie often at booking, sometime anytime between booking and flight) and W for the TATL.
Calling DL, they would re-code my DL portion into the AF flight number and if O was available, I would be upgraded right away using either SWU or miles (no mention that W DL was not eligible because equivalent to A AF).

I do not know if nowadays an agent would refuse to upgrade a DL W with the excuse that it would correspond to A. I have not seen O available anyway and my last W flights I actually flew in PE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.