Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MQD are not rolling over = fly with competitor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL

Quick Question: It appears that MDQ are NOT rolling over the same way as MQMs are from one year to another… If that’s true, and if I have reached the Diamond level for 2015 already, should I just stop flying Delta in 2014 and switch to competitor in attempt to hit another carrier elite status? Arguably, I have another half of the year to do that, vs. not advancing any further on Delta. Yes, I will split the general-miles between two unrelated carriers, which is not good from "put all your miles into the same basket" strategy point of view, but in the same time, I could achieve another status and open-up tons of alternative routes/options to myself. Thoughts?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:09 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by kdmitry
If that’s true
It's true.

I haven't read anywhere that UA's version on MQDs roll over, either. That leaves you with AA/US . . . . . til they change their program, likely in another year.

Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
The MQD FAQ on DL.com is very clear about there being no rollover for MQD. MQM will still rollover.

Should someone switch carriers once they achieve DM? I think it depends. Those waived from the MQD requirement (DL Amex or living outside the USA) could likely consider working on MQM rollover.

It really depends on your flying patterns and travel requirements.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Quick Question: It appears that MDQ are NOT rolling over the same way as MQMs are from one year to another… If that’s true, and if I have reached the Diamond level for 2015 already, should I just stop flying Delta in 2014 and switch to competitor in attempt to hit another carrier elite status?
Yes! Please do

(I'm being purely selfish though, as I fly to Seattle a bunch and would rather not compete with you for upgrades!)
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:17 am
Original Poster

It doesn't even matter whether UA rolls over the MQD or not or AA doesn't require it at all... If nobody rolls over the MQDs then it's free-agent time. You've spend your top $$ on your original carrier and topped-out, they do not reward you for spending more. So if you can't get any higher status on your original "team", I guess you go and fish for something else, ask competitor airline to match your Plutonium status and make them make you feel welcomed... after that you could return back to Delta on January 1st, or... perhaps not.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:18 am

Doesn't make sense to me. You've earned DM until early 2016 but are willing to go back to the back of the queue with AA/US?

I have also reached my MQM and MQD for DM for 2015 year and plan to take advantage of the benefits for the rest of the year (although I already was DM). I happen to have UA*Silver (similar to FO) as a gift from Marriott so I've got that going for me but its been handy in the winter when DL cannot get me home.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
Granted I am not top tier -- Platinum this year, most years Gold, but, all else equal, I would probably take the benefit of being Diamond on Delta for the time remaining this year rather than shoot for status elsewhere, unless you really want to switch primary carriers. I assume you don't have status with another carrier, so would be relegated to nonstatus treatment while pursuing status on the other carrier. And next year you would probably want to focus your trips anyway, to ensure status the year after.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:49 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
...ask competitor airline to match your Plutonium status and make them make you feel welcomed... after that you could return back to Delta on January 1st, or... perhaps not.
Originally Posted by ross123
Doesn't make sense to me. You've earned DM until early 2016 but are willing to go back to the back of the queue with AA/US?
Only way it makes sense is if you can get a challenge/match to the other carrier so that you don't start from dirt.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: DL Diamond + 1MM; AA Gold; UA Gold
This might also make sense if passenger pays for premium class
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:30 am

Depending on what your MQD's are now vs what they could be if you fly DL the rest of the year a 360 invite could potentially come your way...or at least a few rides in the Porsche!
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by ross123
If played right, one doesn't have to go to the "back of the queue". AA offers status challenges for AA GLD and AA PLT. Pretty sure UA offers status match or challenges as well. Since I was a GM with DL when I did my AA PLT challenge, they gave me GLD right away while I was doing the challenge (not that I needed it per say, as I was able to complete the challenge in the one trip I was taking and that trip was already in FC).

If someone is going to be flying enough to do so, maintaining status on two carriers isn't a bad option, especially with some businesses becoming more restrictive on travel policy, it gives you a better chance of finding a carrier you have status on that meets what you need.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

I have had my Porsche experience just another day - that was awesome, BTW. So.. it's not like I am unhappy with Delta.. It just that the system, appears to encourage me to try other things, which is surprising, really. I will most certainly ask for a "challenge" on AA or UA to start high enough with them that late in the year, if this even make sense to do at all. From what I read so far, it appears that it is really my personal choice on this point. The only other advantage to keep Delta for the reminder of 2014, that I see, is to get the Million Mile count higher (I am working towards my 2nd Million at this point, and a bit afraid that with 2015 rules my progress towards the 2M achievement will slow down significantly)... It seems that new measuring system of "points" (they are no longer "miles", really) based on $$ and not on the length of the flight bites coast-to-coast travelers a lot. You are stuck in the airplane WAY longer than East-Coast-Only traveler, and do want more comfortable seat, yet you are penalized by the free-market pricing, since competitors are selling those long-haul flights as low as they could. Race to the bottom is not playing well for those frequent coast-to-coast travelers as myself, it seems.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:33 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
I have had my Porsche experience just another day - that was awesome, BTW. So.. it's not like I am unhappy with Delta.. It just that the system, appears to encourage me to try other things, which is surprising, really. I will most certainly ask for a "challenge" on AA or UA to start high enough with them that late in the year, if this even make sense to do at all. From what I read so far, it appears that it is really my personal choice on this point. The only other advantage to keep Delta for the reminder of 2014, that I see, is to get the Million Mile count higher (I am working towards my 2nd Million at this point, and a bit afraid that with 2015 rules my progress towards the 2M achievement will slow down significantly)... It seems that new measuring system of "points" (they are no longer "miles", really) based on $$ and not on the length of the flight bites coast-to-coast travelers a lot. You are stuck in the airplane WAY longer than East-Coast-Only traveler, and do want more comfortable seat, yet you are penalized by the free-market pricing, since competitors are selling those long-haul flights as low as they could. Race to the bottom is not playing well for those frequent coast-to-coast travelers as myself, it seems.
Nothing about MQMs nor Million Miler is changing in 2015 -- you still earn MQMs based on distance flown.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by colerc
Nothing about MQMs nor Million Miler is changing in 2015 -- you still earn MQMs based on distance flown.
Hmm... upon re-reading the statement about 2015's program on Delta.com, I have to say you are CORRECT. New rules are applying to "junk" miles, and not MQM... which is good for MQMs in 2015. Yet, there's less incentive in reminder of 2014 to stick with Delta vs. attempting to take challenge elsewhere.

Perhaps Delta is scanning through these forum and will offer some kind of MQD roll-over offer in the future.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
A tale of two strategies.

On one hand you can sit back and enjoy the benefits of the status you've earned.

On the other hand, you could get a status match to another carrier and build some status there.

I don't really see anything wrong with either strategy. I suppose back when airline miles were worth something, more peeps did the former. Now that the programs have been so devalued by the carriers, there's no real reason to have loyalty to one or the other.

The loyalty thing cuts both ways. Devalue the programs, and FF's will be less loyal, however, if all the other carrier's are doing the same thing, then you'll likely gain as many FF's as you lose. That's what airlines are banking on...

It's similar to how employers treat employees as a commodity these days. I was talking with a colleague the other day, and he joked that there's no such thing as a "career" anymore, just someone you work for until you work for someone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.