Wiki Posts
Search

Political symbols on FA Uniforms?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Political symbols on FA Uniforms?

Does anyone know what Delta's policy is surrounding the wearing of political symbols by cabin crews?

I've seen bag tags and the like, but in in my case yesterday it was a lapel pin that could not possibly have been worn innocently- ie. without the knowledge that there would be some passengers who would feel at least mildly uncomfortable because of it.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
What was the pin?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
What was the pin?
I'm hesitant to say as I think this thread would head straight for OMNI...
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
An Obama pin? Romney? Donkey? Elephant? Or something religious?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:51 am
Suspended

No proof, no story.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: DL PM / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mother-
Does anyone know what Delta's policy is surrounding the wearing of political symbols by cabin crews?

I've seen bag tags and the like, but in in my case yesterday it was a lapel pin that could not possibly have been worn innocently- ie. without the knowledge that there would be some passengers who would feel at least mildly uncomfortable because of it.
Mildly uncomfortable? Get over yourself. Are unable to interact with people who profess to support or believe something that isn't to your liking?

Delta is an organization with 10,000s of employees. If that fact that some of them profess something (through their dress) that makes you mildly uncomfortable, and this makes you want to fly someone else, good riddance.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Did I say there was a story? I asked a question about the companies policy.

Edit: FWIW No, I don't think people in the hospitality / travel industry that are front-line should be intentionally making their customers uncomfortable.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:13 am
Original Poster

And if anyone really wants to know what it was PM me and I'll PM you back, and you can berate and belittle me in PM...
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I'm hesitant to say as I think this thread would head straight for OMNI...
You essentially ask the board to estimate what their reactions would be, yet you don't provide the very thing to which they are supposed to react to? That's like asking if something smells bad, but not saying what that thing is.

(EDIT: Main question was if there was a policy).

You speculate that it will go to OMNI, but I imagine that it would only be because of off-topic commentary, not because of what it was you divulged. Hopefully the conversation can be controlled enough.

Serious question... are you also afraid that if you post up what it actually was, that you yourself may be made out to be overreactive?

Last edited by IceTrojan; Aug 28, 2014 at 11:30 am
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LAXative
You essentially ask the board to estimate what their reactions would be, yet you don't provide the very thing to which they are supposed to react to? That's like asking if something smells bad, but not saying what that thing is.

You speculate that it will go to OMNI, but I imagine that it would only be because of off-topic commentary, not because of what it was you divulged. Hopefully the conversation can be controlled enough.
No I never asked for anyone to estimate their reactions, I asked if anyone knew what Delta's policy was.

Serious question... are you also afraid that if you post up what it actually was, that you yourself may be made out to be overreactive?
Serious answer: No, because that happens whenever anyone posts anything on the Delta board at Flyertalk.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:24 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LAXative
Not really, the OP asked for the policy not for an opinion of whether the group thought it was offensive.

I would suspect that Delta does have a policy on this though I don't know what it is. But there are some organizations that could cause offense without being overtly political. That is a gray area that may not (or can not) be defined in a policy.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:27 am

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by dgilman
Mildly uncomfortable? Get over yourself. Are unable to interact with people who profess to support or believe something that isn't to your liking?

Delta is an organization with 10,000s of employees. If that fact that some of them profess something (through their dress) that makes you mildly uncomfortable, and this makes you want to fly someone else, good riddance.
I think its standard for companies to not allow employees to wear articles of clothing or accessories that profess a certain political standpoint. Heck, in high school my boarding school wouldn't let me put up my Obama sign in my window or let my roommate keep his confederate flag up. Im sure Delta has a policy against this.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
No I never asked for anyone to estimate their reactions, I asked if anyone knew what Delta's policy was.

Serious answer: No, because that happens whenever anyone posts anything on the Delta board at Flyertalk.
Originally Posted by TTT
Not really, the OP asked for the policy not for an opinion of whether the group thought it was offensive.
Indeed, you did have that main question. Mea culpa.

I focused on the second bit about OP's judgment that the pin in question "could not possibly have been worn innocently..."

Perhaps write into DL and let the chips fall as they may?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:33 am

If we can keep this to a discussion about POLICY it is an interesting topic.

Back when the Union vote was coming up plenty of FA's had "AFA" pins on, which I assumed Delta either couldn't (or decided wouldn't) ban as it might be construed as interfering....

In general isn't the law on the side of the employer in terms of regulating what is and is not allowed on a uniform?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:35 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Burj
If we can keep this to a discussion about POLICY it is an interesting topic.

Back when the Union vote was coming up plenty of FA's had "AFA" pins on, which I assumed Delta either couldn't (or decided wouldn't) ban as it might be construed as interfering....
Those are the type of pins I was initially thinking about when reading the OP and recall seeing them during the union drive. Though haven't seen any since.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.