Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Agreed. Being offended is a choice.
As is being offenSIVE...
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL PM / SPG Gold
When someone inquires about the policy of GAs coming onboard to move coach passengers up to first, it is usually because the OP feels they were wronged and wants to know what was supposed to happen.

When someone inquires about the policy of FAs eating FC cookies, it is usually because they were wronged and wants to know what was supposed to happen.

Nobody asks about the policy when they feel good, or neutral.

The OP asked the question because he feels wronged by the fact a FA wore a pin.

A pin!

No shenanigans, no missed upgrade or changed seat. The OP feels that Delta wronged him because an employee wore a pin.

Maybe it's time for the OP to fly private.

WNPBNP (Want No Pin, Buy No Pin)
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
I don't know if there is a policy, but I think there should be.

Given what is going on right now in the world, there is no doubt the Palestinian flag could be offensive to people and would be a political statement. I would think it should be avoided, unless its intention was only to indicate language.

On the same front, I think that a rainbow flag pin, a "pro-life" pin, or an NRA pin or something of the like should be avoided as well. There's just no reason to hit on the things people are sensitive about on flights.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:09 pm

Programs: DL PM / SPG Gold
Political symbols on FA Uniforms?

Should Delta ban necklaces with a cross on them? People might be sensitive to that.

One of your examples isn't like the other. Being pro-life or pro choice, or pro gun or pro life (see what I did there) is not the same as being pro gay or pro bigot.

What about wedding rings? What if marriage offends me?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by paterwdb
There's just no reason to hit on the things people are sensitive about on flights.
Other than to mess with people that are easily offended?

If you are offended by something like a Palestinian flag pin, then you should probably stay in your home and lock the door, as you are not really ready to face the world.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:08 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by pbarnette
If you are offended by something like a Palestinian flag pin, then you should probably stay in your home and lock the door, as you are not really ready to face the world.
+ 1,000 ^
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz

Strongly agree as such xenophobia is ironic in view of the number of countries FTers visit every day.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by enconline
My thought exactly - what one finds acceptable, another finds uncomfortable - it is a matter of ones personal perspective and beliefs. Hence why a lot of B2C companies have policies on this.

Back to the OPs original question regarding policy, it seems no one knows, hence the need to speculate as to whether it is or is not something to make one uncomfortable.
Indeed, just about any statement or symbol not directly related to the business itself could be considered political.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Indelaware
In the extreme, you are correct. However, the FA was wearing the flag of the Palestinian people and the Palestinian Authority, a legitimate political entity created with the concurrence of Israel; it is a flag used in official state ceremonies by the governments of the United States and Israel to welcome Palestinian officials. S/he was not wearing the flag of Hamas, Hezbollah, the Islamic "State, al-Qaeda, or some other terrorist organization.

To assume that the FA was wearing the flag for political reasons, is well, to assume. Would you assume that an American of Irish ancestry wearing the Irish flag does so for political reasons? There are many people - Palestinian and otherwise - who wear flags of their homelands simply as a statement of their ethnic heritage. No need to read political impulses into the FA's pin.

As to Delta's policy, I doubt one will find an authoritative answer on FT.
And if she were?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DeltaWings
Quite frankly, there are plenty of people who would be offended by the sight of an American flag.

Palestine is a state recognized by the vast majority of governments. I see no problem wearing it. If you're offended, get over it (I know OP is not saying he is).

It's not a Nazi flag. That would (and should) be offensive to all.
And if it were?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by paterwdb
I don't know if there is a policy, but I think there should be.

Given what is going on right now in the world, there is no doubt the Palestinian flag could be offensive to people and would be a political statement. I would think it should be avoided, unless its intention was only to indicate language.

On the same front, I think that a rainbow flag pin, a "pro-life" pin, or an NRA pin or something of the like should be avoided as well. There's just no reason to hit on the things people are sensitive about on flights.
As could the Israeli flag, or any number of other flags including the American one.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:48 am
Suspended

This.

But for DL's own sake, if I were making the policy it would be no personal statements of any kind worn while on duty.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
This is getting interesting.

IBTL (my first)
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DYKWIA2014
This is getting interesting.

IBTL (my first)
Yeah I'll register an IBTL too.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by DeltaWings
Quite frankly, there are plenty of people who would be offended by the sight of an American flag.

Palestine is a state recognized by the vast majority of governments. I see no problem wearing it. If you're offended, get over it (I know OP is not saying he is).

It's not a Nazi flag. That would (and should) be offensive to all.
Originally Posted by HongKonger
And if it were?
Displaying a Nazi flag is illegal in many countries, including France and Germany. I suspect it would be illegal on French or German planes and certainly while on the tarmac in such countries.

Last edited by flyerslc; Aug 29, 2014 at 8:34 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.