Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Medallion Gold first class upgrade chance in June 2015?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Medallion Gold first class upgrade chance in June 2015?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
I will be a Dylthium Medallion on June 2, 2378. What are my chances of an upgrade on my flight to Argus X?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:41 am

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
I have a flight schedule Tuesday June 9, 2015 from LGA-ORD....Can you let me know if it is going to rain when I land at ORD at 10AM?
No but I can let you know that you are a jerk. Seriously don't understand the need for sarcastic posts. If you can't or don't want to answer the OP, then don't post. No need to kill someone's excitement about making gold or looking forward to an upgrade. sheesh. To the OP, ime, transcons depend really on the time and day. Half the time as a gold on cheapo fares Im on the bottom of the ug list SFO-ATL, but a lot of times I clear at the window or at the gate. Sorry I can't give any specifies re BOS-LAX

Last edited by Quinlanty; Aug 26, 2014 at 10:44 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
FWIW, I recently received an upgrade 3 days in advance on BOS-LAX for a Saturday flight.

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
I've heard the free upgrade for Medallion Gold on a premium route is nearly impossible, but I am not sure if BOS-LAX is considered as such premium route... ??
The premium TCON routes are JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA. It is no longer possible for GMs to receive complimentary upgrades on those flights. DL does not treat BOS-LAX as a premium route, though it generally isn't easy for GMs to get upgraded on it (as with most of Delta's long-distance domestic flights).
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:40 pm
formerly Mdanner423

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Quinlanty
No but I can let you know that you are a jerk. Seriously don't understand the need for sarcastic posts. If you can't or don't want to answer the OP, then don't post. No need to kill someone's excitement about making gold or looking forward to an upgrade. sheesh. To the OP, ime, transcons depend really on the time and day. Half the time as a gold on cheapo fares Im on the bottom of the ug list SFO-ATL, but a lot of times I clear at the window or at the gate. Sorry I can't give any specifies re BOS-LAX
Its a little light hearted humor for a crystal ball question. I don't think he/she is a jerk, just having a little fun.

OP, in general it's pretty hard to predict these kinds of questions, it really depends on what day of the week, if anything special is going on, etc. As most have posted, transcon flights are hard to get upgrades on, but it can always be a pleasant surprise!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MagicUpgrade Beta 1
Your MagicUpgrade chances are 11.947%. A low of 0% and a high probability of 27.324%, depending on the date/time/#of Diamond Medallions, Platinum Medallions, Gold Medallions on a higher fare, and Silver Medallion on a full fare in the upgrade list ahead of you.

Upgrade at the window: 4.52%
Upgrade at the gate: 95.48%
Upgrade after boarding: Do not count on it.

--This information was generated by MagicUpdate. MagicUpdate is not liable for any emotional damage due to false expectations of the passengers. As Shenanigans are a very difficult variable to calculate, these are not taken into account by the MagicUpgrade Algorithm.--
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I have a flight schedule Tuesday June 9, 2015 from LGA-ORD....Can you let me know if it is going to rain when I land at ORD at 10AM?
3.6% sure that it will be raining 36%!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I would think UA, AA, and Virgin America (the big players in CA) would dominate this route while DL gets the leftovers. You may have a decent shot.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I would think UA, AA, and Virgin America (the big players in CA) would dominate this route while DL gets the leftovers. You may have a decent shot.
Not the case at all. As I said I strictly buy FC as do many on this route. If you look at a OW booking starting outside the DM window you will see even on a weds all but 3-4 seats are sold/paid FC. It is rare to see more than 3-4 open FC seats left unsold at the window though obviously it does happen.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Yes, I can.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz 5*, SPG
IBTL! (Since that seems to be the theme for the evening).

I guess 17.537% upgrade chance. OP will just have to fly the route 100 times to see how close we all came to guessing.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

seems like Gold Medallion is pretty useless overall if it's so difficult to get an upgrade on routes between two major cities.

Yea you get a free economy comfort, but if I can get a main cabin select from VX with lower price than Delta's economy fare, the choice is obvious.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
seems like Gold Medallion is pretty useless overall if it's so difficult to get an upgrade on routes between two major cities.

Yea you get a free economy comfort, but if I can get a main cabin select from VX with lower price than Delta's economy fare, the choice is obvious.
Can you redeem miles earned on VX to get free TATL travel, with lounge access included? In addition, will you stand a chance of getting a sporadic OP Up?

The answers for this DL Gold are "Yes" to all of the above.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by koreanair720
+1
My first thought was "troll"
no question.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by koreanair720
I will be a Dylthium Medallion on June 2, 2378. What are my chances of an upgrade on my flight to Argus X?
I assume you mean Eta Argus. Right?

If so, your chances are 1/X %

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.