DL Award tickets are expensive !

Old Aug 24, 2014, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, Skymiles, JetPrivilege, BA Executive Club
DL Award tickets are expensive !

Tried booking a flight (economy) from AMS to BOM somewhere around December this year, and the award tickets are all 120,000 miles + $23.46....

I thought it would have been much cheaper, since it is the economy class
Old Aug 24, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: DL FO, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX Platinum, AMEX DL Platinum, Nexus, TSA PreCheck
Most of December is showing award availability at the Peak level, i.e. "No Blackout Dates" but you definitely pay for that "convenience".

Flying on dates that show in the awards calendar as green would be at the Low level, which should be 60k RT. But, it looks like BOM-AMS return flights will almost certainly be at the Peak level for quite a while, if not just about always.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 9:21 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
Winter months in india, particularly dec/jan are always crammed full with expatriates headed home to see family. So yeah, not surprising at all that you cannot find a low priced FF ticket.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Have you tried searching partner awards KLM and AF not just to BOM but to DEL and BLR too?
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:16 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Agreed DL has award space RIDICULOUSLY priced out in miles!
Old Aug 25, 2014, 1:10 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Its not just Delta. All the airlines are like that now.

Not surprising, when you have a thousand bloggers telling the rubes to just sign up for a dozen credit cards and you'll soon be off to Bora Bora in first class, washing down your caviar with Krug.

The days of easy award travel are over. Way too many people with inflated points balances chasing way too few seats at hyper-inflated award redemption rates. Thank the circles 'n arrows crowd for that. The airlines just did what any business would do. Their FF programs were not intended for the unwashed riffraff, and their actual paying customers don't appreciate the freeloaders stinking up the forward cabins. So the airlines fixed that.

This is how it is now. Get used to it.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:57 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
The alternative is pay for it in cash. AC offers comparatively cheap rewards in terms of miles, but you get surcharged up the wazoo.

I live in YYZ and used to fly on AC exclusively. YYZ-western Europe on a reward ticket is cheap at 60,000 miles in Y. But then you get hit with $700 - $800 in surcharges and fees ... pretty bad for seats you can often find on sale for $1,000 or less.

I'd rather cough up more miles, since they're always worth less than the cash equivalent.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by bsaurabh
Tried booking a flight (economy) from AMS to BOM somewhere around December this year, and the award tickets are all 120,000 miles + $23.46....

I thought it would have been much cheaper, since it is the economy class
What dates were you looking at?

See ton of availability at the medium level for 120K + €300 in Biz. And they do fly their flat beds now to India so it's something worth considering.

Alternatively you can check for availability via CDG on AF and LHR on VS.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
In other news, the sun rises in the East! ;-)
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, Skymiles, JetPrivilege, BA Executive Club
Just realised that Etihad has some great redemptions - biz class about 60000 Etihad guest miles, on the mentioned route.
It seems that the Gulf carriers have better availability (and much better service) on Europe-South Asia routes. Too bad I just have skymiles
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:32 am

The key is to look for Air France/KLM/Virgin Atlantic gateway cities and try to get a partner award. I found the partner availability to be not nearly as bad as Delta's, and I recently booked two J tickets on AF and VS to India from IAD. The key with using Delta miles and getting the low price is to understand you will probably be paying out of pocket to get to whatever your final destination is from ORD/IAD/JFK/SFO etc. because getting the onward award on Delta at the low price is nearly impossible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.