Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Dear Delta, please eliminated the MQD now!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dear Delta, please eliminated the MQD now!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
a very quick response.

(a) $25K per year on AMEX is hardly reckless spending. That is your assumption. AMEX is accepted pretty much universally in the USA.
I still find lots of places that don't take AMEX including a local gun shop where I purchased a $1100 AR-15 last year. Also, my favorite supplier of SS109 no longer takes AMEX. In that situation, I now use my IHG Mastercard.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:09 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by yohanson
I still find lots of places that don't take AMEX including a local gun shop where I purchased a $1100 AR-15 last year. Also, my favorite supplier of SS109 no longer takes AMEX. In that situation, I now use my IHG Mastercard.
Of course, that's why we have multiple miles&points cards.

This is FlyerTalk, which focuses a LOT on Travel and Food&Beverage. In that area, AMEX is very well accepted.

I'd say, (retail) acceptance of AMEX in the USA is still better than anywhere else in the world. Especially, since a lot of "low-brow" mundane places accept it like grocery stores, Walmart, Target etc. etc.

No card ever has 100% acceptance. (for example, you can't (or at least couldn't) use MasterCard and VISA at Costco)
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Oh, and owning "a 2013 BMW convertible" is reckless, in my opinion. (see, that's an example of some reverse judgment ) ...

I guess my point, is I rather send a family member on a trip; or do something nice for a friend, than have a car payment (or have paid cash) for a 2013 BMW. To me, especially if purchased new, that is the ultimate "sucker purchase."
Thank you for the comments about my spending. I'll give them the requisite consideration.

You missed the point, though, that you don't know anyone else's finances, so you shouldn't be making comments that indicate everyone should be doing what you think is possible. For many, spending $25k/year on an AMEX would be reckless. For others, it makes sense. You don't have the requisite information necessary, though, to claim that anyone who doesn't do this is must have bad credit? That's preposterous. Why the need to shame anyone who thinks that doesn't make sense? It can make sense for you while not make sense for half the people on this board.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Thank you for the comments about my spending. I'll give them the requisite consideration.

You missed the point, though, that you don't know anyone else's finances, so you shouldn't be making comments that indicate everyone should be doing what you think is possible. For many, spending $25k/year on an AMEX would be reckless. For others, it makes sense. You don't have the requisite information necessary, though, to claim that anyone who doesn't do this is must have bad credit? That's preposterous. Why the need to shame anyone who thinks that doesn't make sense? It can make sense for you while not make sense for half the people on this board.
My point, is that Delta has given everyone who is a US resident an "out."

This is FlyerTalk; if you don't have the income for purchases then you can easily manufacture spend. (remember, people around here who don't have the "means through business/personal travel" for MQMs mileage run etc. to make the status).

All you need is good credit to get the Delta-AMEX products. Then, you can manufacture spend to your hearts content. (sometimes easier, sometimes harder) And, you don't need more than a modest $2000 to $3000 credit line; since you'll be paying it off monthly. (of course more, if you need more monthly spend for more MQMs etc.)

Some do it by "standard purchases," some do it by "manufactured spending." All you need is access (US resident with decent credit) to an AMEX-Delta card product.

While mileage runs or manufactured spending would not be my thing; you can't really argue there is a very clear and easy loophole to deal with MQDs (and sometimes even MQMs).

That, is my point. (and I "think," you missed my point)
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT

This is FlyerTalk; if you don't have the income for purchases then you can easily manufacture spend.
While I, too, personally wouldn't manufacture spend, someone doing that does have no excuse but bad credit. Apologies.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:55 pm

While I, too, personally wouldn't manufacture spend, someone doing that does have no excuse but bad credit. Apologies.
No need for apologies.

This isn't you, this is the overall "tone" (including the OP) of constant complaints about MQDs, which are not such a big deal. The $ amounts are reasonable, and Delta gave everyone an out with the AMEX spend (instead of MQDs). And, unlike United (with 1K), you can use AMEX spend to get an MQD waiver even for top tier Diamond Medallion.

Yes, the game has changed, but for those who purely make status on low fares, it's still possible to deal with the "MQD issue."

Personally, I can understand "low-fare/low-spend" Medallions complaining about the RDM changes (based on spend) for 2015; but MQDs. That's sort of a non-issue; unless Delta were to eliminate or substantially change the "AMEX-spend loophole."
Old Sep 2, 2014, 3:37 pm

DL should just get it over with. Dump MQM and MQS and move entirely to MQDs. It seems like that's the direction they are heading in anyway for US customers. Just get it over with.

I really only care about the miles in terms of redemption for travel, so my view on status is in terms of boosting miles accrual. Even then, it's a tertiary concern after schedule and F/J pricing. I'm close to making plat for MQDs, but barely silver MQMs. Last minute domestic F travel is great for the MQDs, but not so much for MQM.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by motytrah
DL should just get it over with. Dump MQM and MQS and move entirely to MQDs. It seems like that's the direction they are heading in anyway for US customers. Just get it over with.
Actually, MQM is here to stay. It won't go away anytime soon. Delta had to be remove MQDs requirements. Then they better to be!!! Those people are complaining about MQDs requirements. Which is not right choice. MQM is the best way to do it. They don't like a new SkyMiles program. Delta has to stop changes new program.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by motytrah

I really only care about the miles in terms of redemption for travel, so my view on status is in terms of boosting miles accrual. Even then, it's a tertiary concern after schedule and F/J pricing. I'm close to making plat for MQDs, but barely silver MQMs. Last minute domestic F travel is great for the MQDs, but not so much for MQM.
It may happen but as I pointed out earlier in the thread (Post 174), I think the MQM/MQS thresholds will remain for a little while. DL will use the system that is best for profits. If DL can get $10K in spend from someone while only giving them FO benefits because you only meet FO MQM/MQS thresholds (depsite more than meeting the PM spending threshold), what would be the incentive for DL to give you more benefits as a GM or PM simply because you spent more? They got $10K out of you WITHOUT having to give you PM or GM benefits. If you're spending $10K and only make FO, you're likely flying DL because they're your only reasonable option, so DL doesn't need to give you much to gain and maintain your "loyalty". What I think is more likely to happen is DL will just continue to increase the MQD thresholds (and possibly the AmEx spend waiver threshold) but likely won't adjust the MQM requirements.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)

No card ever has 100% acceptance. (for example, you can't (or at least couldn't) use MasterCard and VISA at Costco)
Still can't.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
It may happen but as I pointed out earlier in the thread (Post 174), I think the MQM/MQS thresholds will remain for a little while. DL will use the system that is best for profits. If DL can get $10K in spend from someone while only giving them FO benefits because you only meet FO MQM/MQS thresholds (depsite more than meeting the PM spending threshold), what would be the incentive for DL to give you more benefits as a GM or PM simply because you spent more? They got $10K out of you WITHOUT having to give you PM or GM benefits. If you're spending $10K and only make FO, you're likely flying DL because they're your only reasonable option, so DL doesn't need to give you much to gain and maintain your "loyalty". What I think is more likely to happen is DL will just continue to increase the MQD thresholds (and possibly the AmEx spend waiver threshold) but likely won't adjust the MQM requirements.
My counter is I'm not loyal at all. I spend just as much with AA, sometimes more, even though I'm MSP hub "captive". The problem for DL is the loyalty program, as it stands, is the tertiary concern for me after routing and F/J pricing.

I'm absolutely sure I'm in the minority of DL customers but I wouldn't be surprised if DL doesn't try to make some targeted accommodations for low status, high MQD flyers. Heck, with my spend if I had a NYC address I'm sure I'd already be comped DM.

Be that as it may, I don't think you'll see that much of an increase to MQD and Credit Card thresholds unless the FT collective figures out how to really game MQD. I think the system does exactly what DL wants.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Many of us don't spend recklessly, so we don't put $25k/year on a card.
It is obviously reckless to spend 25k and put them on a card just to get some benefits on Delta.
On the other hand, if one has to spend 25k in any case, then it is a little more reckless to spend them in cash instead of charging a card.

Oh, and owning "a 2013 BMW convertible" is reckless, in my opinion. (
Only if it is an automatic BMW convertible...
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
I would think about it from DL's perspective as well. If you make 5 purchases that are worth the same as another customer's 1 purchase, why should the 5 be rewarded more than the 1? That could be the case if you weighted mileage over dollars spent. Yes, there is some loyalty there, but in $ net worth to DL, they're the same. Dollars/profit in the bank keep them in business, not based just on whether you flew ATL-BNA or ATL-SAN. Since all 3 of the majors aren't like this, there are obviously differing opinions. But from a business perspective, there's definitely some rationale to it. Having both miles and dollars in the equation, it gives some attention to both. As to what each requirement should be is obviously up to the airline, but the fact that they take both in to consideration is just plain business.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond

This is FlyerTalk; if you don't have the income for purchases then you can easily manufacture spend. (remember, people around here who don't have the "means through business/personal travel" for MQMs mileage run etc. to make the status).

All you need is good credit to get the Delta-AMEX products. Then, you can manufacture spend to your hearts content. (sometimes easier, sometimes harder) And, you don't need more than a modest $2000 to $3000 credit line; since you'll be paying it off monthly. (of course more, if you need more monthly spend for more MQMs etc.)

Some do it by "standard purchases," some do it by "manufactured spending." All you need is access (US resident with decent credit) to an AMEX-Delta card product.

While mileage runs or manufactured spending would not be my thing; you can't really argue there is a very clear and easy loophole to deal with MQDs (and sometimes even MQMs).

That, is my point. (and I "think," you missed my point)
not even then-there are US citizens resident abroad with ties (i.e. family to help with an address) back in America that help them get US credit cards (particularly as there are generally better deals there than overseas.)
(and since they must report worldwide income to the IRS then they can declare that truthfully though much of it is tax exempt.)
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
not even then-there are US citizens resident abroad with ties (i.e. family to help with an address) back in America that help them get US credit cards (particularly as there are generally better deals there than overseas.)
(and since they must report worldwide income to the IRS then they can declare that truthfully though much of it is tax exempt.)
Yes, but if you have a foreign address (primary address) you are already exempt from MQDs.

Of course, US AMEX Credit Card products with bonus MQMs are quite attractive to US and non-US residents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.