Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Bigger Guy Travelling to Europe - Does DL's A330-300 have a larger restroom?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Hello All,

I am travelling to Amsterdam in a few weeks and I fly domestically pretty frequently although I do not really enjoy flying. I buy two seats not because I need two but so I do not encroach others and for the extra space.

One thing I have never done is used the restroom on a plane I did try once on a 737 but as I recall the restroom had an accordion style door and once inside it was much smaller than the doorway itself.

Does anyone have experience flying on a Delta A330-300? Delta seems sure that there is a middle restroom that is larger and said something about them removing a wall between two restrooms?

Just wondering if I will have difficulty on this flight if I need to use the restroom or if the A330-300 is substantially larger.

Aside from that since I already do not like flying and leave in the afternoon I got a prescription for ambien and am hoping (fingers crossed) to sleep through most of the flight.

Any info and suggestions are appreciated!
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:08 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
NoJoy, welcome to FlyerTalk! As you have a specific question regarding Delta's A330-300 facilities, I'll make the thread topic more specific and move this to the Delta Airlines forum for more discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: DL GM
You should NOT take ambien on a plane unless you're certain you aren't one of the many people who exhibit strange behavior while under its influence. There are many stories here and elsewhere on the internet about people sleeping in the aisles, urinating in their seats, and engaging in other bizarre behavior on planes while taking it. Even if it doesn't affect you adversely, your fellow passengers won't appreciate 6 hours of snoring and inability to wake you to ask you to stop. Been there, done that.

I take ambien periodically due to chronic insomnia and need to sleep before an important event or meeting. I'd never take it on a plane for the reasons mentioned above. Google "ambien airplane" or similar and you can read some of these stories for yourself.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:28 am

The A330 is a big plane and I have found that the bathrooms are bigger in general than say a 737. Though how big you'll need to feel comfortable, I guess I really can't answer that.

As far as the ambien, go ahead and take it. Taking ambien while in a plane isn't going to turn you into a crazy person as another poster has eluded to. Sure there are "stories" out there but come on. Unless you're already crazy and like to sleep in the aisles, you'll be fine. And if you snore, who cares. That's what noise cancelling headphones or earplugs are for.

Enjoy your flight.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Yes the DL Intl A330 has a larger restroom in the middle of the plane with the person in wheelchair decal on the door.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: Southwest A List Preferred, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, American Airlines Gold
Left side, middle of the aircraft. The one towards the center of the plane. It is quite nice in size. And, as said, it does have a handicapped sign on it.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is the one opposite row 26 A/B seats.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Del...30_200_new.php
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by SEUS777
As far as the ambien, go ahead and take it. Taking ambien while in a plane isn't going to turn you into a crazy person as another poster has eluded to. Sure there are "stories" out there but come on. Unless you're already crazy and like to sleep in the aisles, you'll be fine. And if you snore, who cares. That's what noise cancelling headphones or earplugs are for.
I think you meant "alluded"? I was referring to first-hand accounts reported by people who've taken ambien, and those who've had to deal with their sometimes disruptive and embarrassing behavior. Perhaps you might do a little research yourself before "eluding" reality and dispensing bad advice.

Here's a couple of reference links to get you started. The first contains several different first-hand accounts of ambien travel experiences from FT members.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...mbien-not.html

Confessions of a Fed-Up Flight Attendant: Attack of the Ambien Zombies

Like I said before, there's nothing wrong with taking ambien if you know it doesn't affect you adversely. This knowledge comes from experience, knowing your ideal dosage, and getting feedback from people who've observed you while you're under ambien's influence.

Taking ambien for the first time while travelling solo on an international flight is asking for trouble. If it affects you adversely your fellow passengers and flight crew will suffer... not you.

Your comment about "And if you snore, who cares" is rubbish. It's both inconsiderate and impractical. Noise cancelling headphones don't drown out the sound of loud snoring, especially at the volume typical of most "large" men.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SEUS777
The A330 is a big plane and I have found that the bathrooms are bigger in general than say a 737. Though how big you'll need to feel comfortable, I guess I really can't answer that.

Enjoy your flight.
Originally Posted by WWGuy
I think you meant "alluded"? I was referring to first-hand accounts reported by people who've taken ambien, and those who've had to deal with their sometimes disruptive and embarrassing behavior. Perhaps you might do a little research yourself before "eluding" reality and dispensing bad advice.

Here's a couple of reference links to get you started. The first contains several different first-hand accounts of ambien travel experiences from FT members.

Like I said before, there's nothing wrong with taking ambien if you know it doesn't affect you adversely. This knowledge comes from experience, knowing your ideal dosage, and getting feedback from people who've observed you while you're under ambien's influence.

Taking ambien for the first time while travelling solo on an international flight is asking for trouble. If it affects you adversely your fellow passengers and flight crew will suffer... not you.

Your comment about "And if you snore, who cares" is rubbish. It's both inconsiderate and impractical. Noise cancelling headphones don't drown out the sound of loud snoring, especially at the volume typical of most "large" men.
DW is Rx, this side effect is in the notice to Rx and MD from Ambien. Use at your own risk.

Snoring is not something that the snorer has direct control over. It has been linked to larger human beings but recent studies is dispelling that theory and have a more direct link to nasal passage structure. Google "sleep apnea"
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: AA Gold
The OP can take Ambien ahead of time to see if it has any adverse effects. I take it on every flight that I want to sleep and I don't strip naked or do other weird behaviors while on board.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by Radiohead71
The OP can take Ambien ahead of time to see if it has any adverse effects. I take it on every flight that I want to sleep and I don't strip naked or do other weird behaviors while on board.
...that you know of.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by WWGuy

While we are sailing OT, allow me to grab an oar...
Regarding the snoring. While it drives me up a wall when I hear someone snoring, I realize there's not a lot that person can do about it. If it's a long flight or a redeye, people are going to be sleeping....and with sleeping, for a large % of the population comes snoring. Those are just the facts.
Surely you aren't suggesting, known snorers, shouldn't sleep on long haul flights are you? Next they will be a protected class w/in the ADA, and we'd have an SBoR (snorer's bill or rights).
For the record, I am with you though. Some snorers can be heard no matter what type of headphone you are wearing. That's just the price you pay when you get into an airplane with hundreds of others.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by scottsam66
Regarding the snoring. While it drives me up a wall when I hear someone snoring, I realize there's not a lot that person can do about it. If it's a long flight or a redeye, people are going to be sleeping....and with sleeping, for a large % of the population comes snoring. Those are just the facts.
Actually, there's something that can be done. Very often, if you cough (so that the snorer can hear it) it will cause them to alter their breathing and very often stop snoring, at least for a while. Works fairly well (maybe 2 out of three times) but will generally NOT work if the snorer is drunk etc.

As a "sometime" snorer, on long haul flights, when I anticipate that I will be sleeping, I will say to my seatmate or an FA, "If I start snoring, please, by all means, wake me up. I don't need any *more* people planning my death...."

O/H
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by scottsam66
While we are sailing OT, allow me to grab an oar...
Surely you aren't suggesting, known snorers, shouldn't sleep on long haul flights are you? Next they will be a protected class w/in the ADA, and we'd have an SBoR (snorer's bill or rights).
For the record, I am with you though. Some snorers can be heard no matter what type of headphone you are wearing. That's just the price you pay when you get into an airplane with hundreds of others.
First, I'm glad OP got his question about the lav answered.

Second, Ambien. I assume OP will discuss it with his doctor and that such doctor will be able to give far better advice than an internet forum. If there are concerns about behavior while using the drug, OP should discuss with his doctor an appropriate way to test the drug's effect on him prior to the flight.

Third, snoring. I usually do not snore on the ground, but for whatever reason I do when sleeping on planes. I do what I can to minimize it - nasal strips (which dry my sinuses out even more) or sleeping on my side (which requires that I am in a lay-flat seat) - but at the end of the day, if I need to sleep on a plane, I'm going to, particularly if it's a red-eye or a longer flight.

I also carry a couple pairs of $0.50 disposable foam earplugs that do an excellent job of blocking out any unwanted noise, snoring or otherwise, on a plane or anywhere else in life.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
You also shouldn't use Ambien if you're Tiger Woods. But seriously, I've never understood how a sleeping pill makes people high...guess that's why I'm not a Doctor.

Originally Posted by tentseller
Snoring is not something that the snorer has direct control over. It has been linked to larger human beings but recent studies is dispelling that theory and have a more direct link to nasal passage structure. Google "sleep apnea"
OT: Our cat snores, and she only weighs 9 pounds. It has more to do with genetics/nasal issues than weight. However, I do believe weight can be a contributing factor (at least in humans).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.