Did Delta ask me a seat votunteer?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Did Delta ask me a seat votunteer?

Hi All,

Did Delta ask me a seat volunteer for DTW-RSW. I went onto entire delta.com and I check-in online, but I saw a seat volunteer. I didn't want to bump it off the flight. They want to give me $200 or $400 voucher for next future trip. I wasn't sure why.

Does anybody know about seat volunteer?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
They were looking for volunteers because the flight was oversold and it might have been necessary to bump people off the flight. It is better for Delta to give flight vouchers to volunteers than to IDB to passengers.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by DeltaWings
They were looking for volunteers because the flight was oversold and it might have been necessary to bump people off the flight. It is better for Delta to give flight vouchers to volunteers than to IDB to passengers.
You're right. I didn't even know that. I should get flight vouchers. I'll find out later.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've seen the volunteer button online quite a few times, even when the flight isn't oversold. It doesn't seem to do anything however, since if it is oversold they make an announcement at the gate asking for volunteers. By clicking you 'volunteer' online it doesn't mean you agree to anything. You still have a choice to ask the gate agent about the voucher and alternate routing.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: DL DM; UA PS; Marriott Platinum; SPG Platinum
From my experience, the function of that screen during check in, is to put you on a list of potential volunteers in an over sold situation. Sometimes, the GA does not even check the list, other times, they will call you up to confirm that you are still interested in volunteering.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Since I am "new" to Delta, does it also rank volunteers by status?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:45 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by dimramon
Since I am "new" to Delta, does it also rank volunteers by status?
Quick answer is no. I heard (I think) UA does???

They can take whoever they want, to be honest. They usually take whoever volunteered the earliest, but not always. If rerouting you, maybe, either adds in a hotel that someone else might not need, or, perhaps rearranging complicated int'l flights, vs someone simply just hopping on the next flight to their destination, they might skip over you.

A couple of times, I was #1 to volunteer, but they needed 2 vols, and a couple were on the list after me, and they took them!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by davetravels
Quick answer is no. I heard (I think) UA does???
Yes, they go by status first and then time. That's why I was asking, since I am a former 1K and I recently moved over to Delta - but I have yet to experience any VDB questions.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
I checked in yesterday for my current flight (in the air now) and had no option to volunteer. I went back in a couple of hours before flight time to print out my drink coupon and there was the volunteer option.

There were no volunteers taken at the gate so perhaps they didn't need them after all.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:46 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
A lot of things factor into who they'll take. Things like if you are connecting or if you have checked luggage also factor into who they pick out of multiple volunteers. I would say that the vast majority of time that I've been asked if I want to volunteer at check in over the past couple of years have resulted in nobody VDBing.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL GE
I always type in 400 in the volunteer box. Worked twice in the past two years!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.