Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Choose Your Seat to Upgrade (for a price)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL exDM MM

Just noticed the new feature that allows one to now upgrade, for a price, by simply selecting a seat in F rather than clicking on the upgrade offer off to the side. Did not like the offer this time ($333 RT), so I did not try it. Wonder how hard it is to "upgrade by mistake?"

BTW - Was offered the UG for $376 during the original purchase...
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:32 pm

I believe this feature is discussed in this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ing-trips.html
Old Aug 18, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Delta DM
I was offered an UG ATL - SLC for 79.00 each way and took it, I have a couple other trips but the UG is pretty pricey.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 6:28 pm

Programs: SPG-Gold
I did have that button for my Flight to Chicago Tuesday Morning ... but alas it went away a few days ago when I got my RU and OU for the flight. While it was there the price was $972.00 and I guess there wasnt enough demand since I got my upgrades at the diamond window.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by newfie
I was offered an UG ATL - SLC for 79.00 each way and took it, I have a couple other trips but the UG is pretty pricey.
Assuming your coach fare wasn't super high that is an awesome bargain. I wouLd definitely take that offer 100 out of 100 times offered.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by happydad100
I believe this feature is discussed in this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ing-trips.html
I am familiar with the "Black Button," but it has been recently augmented with the option to choose a seat in F which, presumably triggers the upgrade charge.

If you click on an existing itinerary the next screen has the "black box" offer. If you ignore it and click on Change Seat you get the new option. Same price but it happens if you intentionally (or unintentionally), click on a F seat on the seat map.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Had to try it. Click on an F seat during seat selection and you get this pop-up message:

"If you choose to upgrade your seat to First or Business Class, you and everyone traveling under your confirmation number will be upgraded for your entire trip. The cost to upgrade each traveler for the entire trip is: $333 per passenger entire trip* *total price including taxes and fees

Do you still want to upgrade your seat?"
Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Delta DM
mine was a very good deal, so I took it, anything under 100.00 sounds good to me.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: Delta Plat
At some point do you think we will have the option to upgrade individual legs thru this process?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Chase Sapphire Preferred
I was offered this two weeks ago on my flight from SEA-AMS. I believe the cost was $550. I wish we knew what triggered it! All I know is that I'm gold medallion, and that's about it!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Isn't it generally better to buy G A P fares and get the 150% MQMs as well as being able to SDC directly into FC?

Is there an easy way to see this option at booking to compare prices or must one actually purchase the ticket to see what offer the button might hold?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Must be a pretty selective sort of thing. I'm flying DCA-ATL-LAX-BNE-PER on Friday. Booked into W for LAX-BNE so everything else booked as Y. DCA-ATL upgraded immediately when I bought the ticket. ATL-LAX is still medallion upgrade requested (it is on the 777) and if I try clicking on a FC/BE seat it tells me "you may only select seats in the same cabin as your purchased fare."
So waiting to see what happens at the gate.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't it generally better to buy G A P fares and get the 150% MQMs as well as being able to SDC directly into FC?

Is there an easy way to see this option at booking to compare prices or must one actually purchase the ticket to see what offer the button might hold?
In my experience the offered upgrade is G. A. or P. This is the same offer you get just before you buy a coach ticket. I now purchase the coach ticket and then go back in to select seats (and to see if DL has sweetened the offer). Sometimes DL lowers the upgrade price significantly.

Example: I recently bought a EWR-MCO OW ticket. The first UG price was $105. When I went back in to select seats it changed to $57...
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by captiveguru
In my experience the offered upgrade is G. A. or P. This is the same offer you get just before you buy a coach ticket. I now purchase the coach ticket and then go back in to select seats (and to see if DL has sweetened the offer). Sometimes DL lowers the upgrade price significantly.

Example: I recently bought a EWR-MCO OW ticket. The first UG price was $105. When I went back in to select seats it changed to $57...
Time to start experimenting which will lead to a lot of cancelled tickets within 24 hours if one must actually complete the purchase to see the price.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Time to start experimenting which will lead to a lot of cancelled tickets within 24 hours if one must actually complete the purchase to see the price.
The price is well advertised. I noticed several weeks ago that DL would often offer a lower price when you came back to the reservation to change seats. Before this feature I would have to book a new ticket in F and then cancel the original ticket. Now, if I like the price, DL just processes the upgrade and sends me a reciept for the difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.