Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Compensation advice

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2014, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Question Delta Compensation advice

I had a flight a few weeks ago on Delta from LGA to GRR (Grand Rapids) which was cancelled one hour before the flight was to depart. It was the last flight of the night to GRR or anywhere else nearby Grand Rapids, including Chicago. I asked to be rescheduled on another flight as early as possible the next day. The reason: I needed to get to my wedding rehearsal the next afternoon. They rebooked me a flight that was not nonstop that would get me to GRR late the next afternoon. I explained my situation and asked if there were any nonstop flights on other airlines that would get me to GRR earlier. I asked if there were any nonstop flights from JFK or EWR. They said there was nothing. Upon driving home, I looked online and noticed there was a nonstop United flight from EWR that would get me in before noon. I called Delta and they insisted there were no seats left on that flight, even if United said that there was. After hanging up, I noticed that there were 9 seats left. I called Delta again and they said that the United flight wasn't even on their system available for purchase. Desperate, I bought the seat on my own. A week later, I requested compensation reimbursing me for the cost of the flight, $500. After several attempts, they gave me 5,000 miles and a $187 refund. They claim one reason for not increasing this compensation is that I took my original return Delta flight. I fail to see this argument. I was out an extra $500. Do I have a leg to stand on? If so, who would I complain to? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP got more than he was entitled to. So, he should leave it and move on.

OP's flight was cancelled and he chose not to fly a reroute offered by DL. He is due a refund of the unflown segment. I presume that is valued at $187.

OP chose to book himself on another carrier and that was his choice. There is no way DL will pay for that ticket.

The 5,000 miles are simply a customer service gesture.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Delta Compensation advice

Unless this was a MX situation, DL is not obligated to sell a seat on a partner airline. In the future, it would be wiser to allow for more time for things to go wrong before a major trip. I always allow for 24hrs of delays for weddings, interviews, big trips, etc.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Congrats on your upcoming wedding and welcome to Flyertalk!

No, I don't think you have a foot to stand on. Regardless whether there was space on the UA flight, DL is not obligated to put you on that flight. (They might, but they don't have to). Unfortunately, you put yourself in a corner by booking the last DL flight to your destination before the start time of your event, thereby allowing no margin for error.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by sluyters
I had a flight a few weeks ago on Delta from LGA to GRR (Grand Rapids) which was cancelled one hour before the flight was to depart. It was the last flight of the night to GRR or anywhere else nearby Grand Rapids, including Chicago. I asked to be rescheduled on another flight as early as possible the next day. The reason: I needed to get to my wedding rehearsal the next afternoon. They rebooked me a flight that was not nonstop that would get me to GRR late the next afternoon. I explained my situation and asked if there were any nonstop flights on other airlines that would get me to GRR earlier. I asked if there were any nonstop flights from JFK or EWR. They said there was nothing. Upon driving home, I looked online and noticed there was a nonstop United flight from EWR that would get me in before noon. I called Delta and they insisted there were no seats left on that flight, even if United said that there was. After hanging up, I noticed that there were 9 seats left. I called Delta again and they said that the United flight wasn't even on their system available for purchase. Desperate, I bought the seat on my own. A week later, I requested compensation reimbursing me for the cost of the flight, $500. After several attempts, they gave me 5,000 miles and a $187 refund. They claim one reason for not increasing this compensation is that I took my original return Delta flight. I fail to see this argument. I was out an extra $500. Do I have a leg to stand on? If so, who would I complain to? Any advice would be appreciated.
Why was it cancelled?

Did they offer a refund at the time?

How much was the DL ticket?
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:31 am

What would have been the cost if you had purchased a round trip flight on United instead of one-way? If you had done that, you could have cancelled your entire Delta itinerary and gotten a full refund for that since your first leg was cancelled.

Just something to think about in the future.

I'm not sure if Delta could/should have been able to rebook you on the outgoing United flight or not.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:21 am

Location: PO BOX 24227 BOURKE STREET, MELBOURNE, VICTORIA, AUSTRALIA 3001
I hope issue has been fixed? Congrats on your wedding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.