Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The new, fresh, tasty SkyClub menu beginning Aug 14h

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The new, fresh, tasty SkyClub menu beginning Aug 14h

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by Bicostal
Real food from a real restaurant! Virgin Clubhouse.
Yes, definitely, at least in JFK and LHR! The Clubhouse food would be worth paying for in a restaurant.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:03 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Really? =-). I know we don't always agree, but I can usually understand your argument. This one, I can't!
Commercial aviation is far safer than private aviation.

For example: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/17/op...anes.html?_r=0
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pbarnette
I think you and I have very different definitions of "real food/meals" if you think European lounges offer them. I mean, you wouldn't starve if you ate it a lot, but starvation would certainly start to look quite enticing. I fly BA often - and the BA lounges are better than any other European lounge I've been in (and I've been in all of them at their hubs) - I still get food from a real restaurant in the terminal.
Clearly you've never seen actual starvation.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by relangford
Can we complain about the loss of Garrett's popcorn? It was the one during the trial phase and is really great. I haven't had the current lo-cal version yet, but, IMHO, generally, "lo-cal" means "tasteless". Could the SC have two choices - a yummy Garrett's and the other for those who think it is healthier?
Indeed, and it usually isn't any healthier. Often it's worse.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
I think you and I have very different definitions of "real food/meals" if you think European lounges offer them. I mean, you wouldn't starve if you ate it a lot, but starvation would certainly start to look quite enticing.
What a horrible thing to say.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by cliff_rock
I visited ATL F & E yesterday afternoon. I'm pretty underwhelmed by the whole change.
Over promised and under delivered once again.
Nowhere near the added value for the added price.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Yes, definitely, at least in JFK and LHR! The Clubhouse food would be worth paying for in a restaurant.
+1 And not to mention the Spa services, is nice being able to get a free haircut while waiting on your flight at LHR. And seeing access is free to all DM's and PM's there is no room to complain even if the food isn't that good.

The only time I have used LHR T4 for a meal time is at breakfast, but I think the food quality at the Skyteam lounge for breakfast is as good or better than most terminal restaurants (not as impressed at AMS KLM lounge at breakfast but still better than US lounges and substantial). And the alcohol selection is good as well, every international lounge I have gone into have Grand Marnier and other cordials you can't find in domestic carrier US lounges.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Over promised and under delivered once again.
Nowhere near the added value for the added price.
One thing to consider as well is the enhancement they made on May 1 for guesting. That alone is a great enhancement.

My wife has a Delta reserve card so not an issue with her getting in, but if she didn't and I flew with my wife and kids a lot and needed to guest them, I think the $150ish fee Diamonds have to pay for an exec membership is well worth it for the changes.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Actually status on BA, LX, LH, CX, SQ, BR, etc gets you access -- no extra charges - no matter what class of service-- so you're correct -- the U.S. airlines have inferior products + charge more -- apples to oranges. @:-)
It's a different market and the airlines tend to compete on different dimensions. USA legacy carriers offer free elite upgrades.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's a different market and the airlines tend to compete on different dimensions. USA legacy carriers offer free elite upgrades.
I was just pointing out an inaccuracy by BubbaShow
Old Aug 15, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
What do they win? If you are choosing between BA and DL because you get a free "meal" that involves something that you would never pay for, where is the value?

Yes, if you are both super cheap and have zero taste, then some stale bread and cold cuts in the LH lounge might see you choose LH over DL. Personally, the value of the "food" in the European lounges is simply so vanishingly small that I would never choose based upon that differentiator. It is a silly point of comparison.
You're disparaging the food because you apparently reflexively defend Delta, but the fact is that the food in the European lounges is oh so much better and the lounge experience as a whole is oh so much better. You can actually have a sustaining meal in the European lounges, and this can be a big timesaver. I've been in the KLM lounge in AMS and the 2E lounge in CDG - AMS had a wide range of choices; CDG, what I remember were sandwiches and they were oh so good.

You disparage the LH lounge as having "stale bread and cold cuts" - even if the bread is in fact stale, the fact is that stale bread and cold cuts are infinitely superior to any lounge food Delta offers.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
You disparage the LH lounge as having "stale bread and cold cuts" - even if the bread is in fact stale, the fact is that stale bread and cold cuts are infinitely superior to any lounge food Delta offers.
It's not stale in my experience. As I recall they have about a half dozen types of breads including different type of grain breads, brown breads, black bread, pretzel breads and so forth.

There are a couple shots of bread selections at the link below -- pretty much speaks for itself.

http://travel.bart.la/2012/09/23/luf...kfurt-airport/
Old Aug 15, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
It's not stale in my experience. As I recall they have about a half dozen types of breads including different type of grain breads, brown breads, black bread, pretzel breads and so forth.

There are a couple shots of bread selections at the link below -- pretty much speaks for itself.

Well even if it were, but OMG!!!!

I have a nonstop to FCO in Alitalia Biz - the probable increased price and the senselessness of connecting yes, does stop me from flying LH, but wow that is nice.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
You're disparaging the food because you apparently reflexively defend Delta,
I'm disparaging the food because it is bad.

but the fact is that the food in the European lounges is oh so much better and the lounge experience as a whole is oh so much better.
That is not remotely close to fact.

You can actually have a sustaining meal in the European lounges, and this can be a big timesaver. I've been in the KLM lounge in AMS and the 2E lounge in CDG - AMS had a wide range of choices;
The AMS lounges usually have, at most, cold cuts, soup, and fruit. I have been in the AMS lounge at least 40 times.

CDG, what I remember were sandwiches and they were oh so good.
I think you have low standards.

It is infinitely superior only if you have low standards.

So they have some form of bread, hard-boiled eggs, yogurt, fruit, and cold cuts. How does this materially differ from DL? They have more bread, DL offers cereal. Seems like a wash, but who knows. I would also note, FWIW, that the picture is the Senator Lounge, the J lounges are worse.

I have a nonstop to FCO in Alitalia Biz - the probable increased price and the senselessness of connecting yes, does stop me from flying LH, but wow that is nice.
That is the Senator lounge. J passengers do not get access to it. The J lounges are less plush.

Last edited by Canarsie; Aug 16, 2014 at 1:47 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:19 pm
Suspended

At JFK AZ Lounge has a wider free food selection than DL -- lots of packaged chips, pretzels, cookies, biscuits and then a fridge with individual plastic containers that include very nice humus and chips, crudite, cut fruit, wraps, sandwiches - in all about 10 different offerings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.