Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Requesting Advice for Christmas Trip to Europe!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SkyClub, HHonors Gold, Emerald Exec Elite

I’m planning a Christmas trip to Europe for my family (10 adults, 2 small kids) and I’d love advice from you travelers!

Flying from the US for an 8 night trip over the holidays - Dec 24 – Jan 2.
  • Dec 25 – 28 (4 nights) – Prague
  • Dec 29 – fly to Venice
  • Dec 29 – Jan 2 (4 nights) – Venice

Questions:
  • Is Venice OK in winter? Should I consider other cities instead? (NOT Paris, Munich, or Vienna)
  • Is 4 nights in each city the right balance?
  • Any advice on where to stay or avoid?

THANKS in advance, I’m a planner and your advice in invaluable!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:46 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond

You might have more luck with this request in the Europe forum. You can request that a moderator move the threat using the red triangle in the bottom right corner of each post.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:19 pm

Why Venice especially over Paris, Munich and Vienna?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Barcelona is very nice and interesting. It's generally relatively warm and sunny. So is Lisbon.

OTOH, I would love to be in Venice or Athens on those times when it snows there. [Note that Christmas is celebrated later in Athens, etc. due to the Greek Orthodox calendar so this probably isn't where you want to be for Christmas.]
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:50 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Watch for Sales

Sometimes Europe can go on sale for departures at or immediately after Christmas Day. Sales in business class over Thanksgiving weekend are more likely and often happen in September.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:27 am

Programs: DL DM
Prague at Christmas is AMAZING
Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:12 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Those questions are pretty difficult to answer not knowing your personal tastes or what it is you're looking for out of the trip. For example, "Is Venice OK in winter?" How does one answer that? Is it OK for ... what, exactly?

Is 4 nights in each city the right balance? Depends on what you want to do and see.

Any advice on where to stay or avoid? Again, depends on what it is you're looking for.

I think you need to figure out exactly what it is you're looking for with this trip, then do some research on what different parts of Europe have to offer. But I wouldn't wait very long. Europe in general, and northern Europe in particular, is VERY popular at Christmas. That's especially so for cities like Prague, Vienna, Salzburg, or pretty much anywhere in Germany or The Netherlands. With a group of 10 adults and two kids, you will have to book early to get the flights and hotels you want.

And yes, why Venice over Paris, Munich and Vienna?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Mediterranean climate by definition = wet winter. For me, that and short days would spoil a lot of Venice's allure.

Delta puts Morocco in the Europe redemption region, btw. Marrakech is easy from AMS; Casablanca and Rabat are easy from CDG; Casablanca is easy from FCO on AZ.

There's nothing here very specific to DL and SkyMiles; 2nd the travel destination forums idea.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OTOH Venice is unpleasantly hot, humid and very crowded with tourists during the summer. The canals can also smell bad.

In the winter, one would experience more of the real Venice as lived by its residents. However, if temperatures drop below freezing, walking on icy narrow streets could be hazardous. Cold weather or rain could make boat rides less fun, including visits to the islands as well as water taxis and gondolas.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:29 am

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
I spent just over a week last year in Germany around Christmas and hit some of the Christmas markets in Berlin, Nuremburg and Dresden. That could be something to look into doing for a couple nights.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:39 am

I would much rather go to northern Europe than southern Europe at Christmas time.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by emrdoc
I would much rather go to northern Europe than southern Europe at Christmas time.
I'd probably prefer Paris, Munich, or Vienna.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: Delta Plat, CO Gold, AF
Having been to Venice in both November and December several times I can assure you it will be cold and there will be rain. Sometimes a deluge, sometimes just a light sprinkle. Be prepared to get wet. If this is your first time in Venice 4 days is a great trip. Try to visit the main sights in the early morning or late afternoon when the crowds have left. Avoid eating in St. Marks Square unless you like overpriced mediocre food. Take the Vaporetto (water bus) to Murano and Burano islands. Stay away from hotels near the train station, VERY noisy. Without knowing your budget, I can't give you hotel ideas. Enjoy your trip.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:53 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Note that Christmas is celebrated later in Athens, etc. due to the Greek Orthodox calendar so this probably isn't where you want to be for Christmas.
Sorry to say that you are wrong here but you are. The Greek Orthodox Christmas is 25 Dec. - the same as the rest of the Christian world. It is only Easter that is celebrated on a different date (usually) according to the Orthodox church. That being said, Christmas is not as big a celebration in the Greek Orthodox religion, but Easter is their major holiday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.