Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expressjet Wing

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Expressjet Wing

What's up with the repair to the leading edge?

http://gallery.flyertalk.com/gallery...ucttape?full=1
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by carolinaflyr

Speed tape, not duct tape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_tape

Depending on what is under the tape it would/could be a completely fine/safe/legal repair. You would have to have someone from ASA to answer that question though. (having said that, Speed tape is used all the time on airplanes.)
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks @dawgfan6291. It looked more metallic than tarred canvas, though it wasn't a smooth patch. Bird strike maybe?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:37 pm

Thanks @dawgfan6291. It looked more metallic than tarred canvas, though it wasn't a smooth patch. Bird strike maybe?
I wouldn't think it was a bird strike, thats a bit big for speed tape. Seems like 9 times out of 10 its ramp rash. (in other words, someone hit it with a tug or cart).
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
I wouldn't think it was a bird strike, thats a bit big for speed tape. Seems like 9 times out of 10 its ramp rash. (in other words, someone hit it with a tug or cart).
Ramp rash? That's cute, although I would have thought that ramp road rage or ramp rage would be a better term.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jul 29, 2014 at 6:55 pm
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:55 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
There also looks like a less-than-perfect (in appearance) patch job with a piece of sheet metal going from the back of the wing up onto the winglet.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Probably just to patch up a small leak in the fuel tank.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:36 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Ramp rash? That's cute, although I would have thought that ramp road rage or ramp rage would be a better term.
Cute? Really? If a tug or cart hits a plane it's a serious infraction or misjudgment, not a 'rage' incident. And on a larger plane, hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage can be caused by an errant cart.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:52 pm

If you're concerned with it, there's FAA inspectors that focus and work solely with XJT. They're easy to make contact with, very friendly and encourage the public to alert them, and they're very thorough. If you want they'll pull the whole MX log for the ship and show you anything you want to know.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:14 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Not the neatest job in the world, but it does indeed look like a patch job for a dent in the leading edge. Bird strike or ramp incident would be my guess as to the cause with me leading to think bird strike a more likely cause simply because there isn't much reason for ground equipment to be in that area except perhaps for a fuel truck. The reason you'd patch it that way is to maintain the shape of the wing and to prevent further propagation of any microscopic cracks that might be present. Perfectly safe and not that unusual of a temporary fix until the damaged panel can be repaired or replaced by maintenance.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
Cute? Really? If a tug or cart hits a plane it's a serious infraction or misjudgment, not a 'rage' incident. And on a larger plane, hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage can be caused by an errant cart.
The phrase "ramp rash" is cute, not the damage.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:50 am

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
Nah, that's a metallic tape they use on the wing. When we had a bird strike at the airport, Endeavor came out with some aircraft bondo, some metallic tape, and an improvised heat tunnel to make the repair.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
A few years back my airplane (general av) was sitting on the ramp at ORD while I conducted a few days' business. An errant baggage cart took out the entire left wingtip. When I returned, they had already replaced the whole thing (a huge fiberglass piece roughly 6 feet long but 2 feet wide and a foot high with electrics inside) and had it approved for a ferry flight back to PHL area. Must have used a couple of rolls of speed tape on it! (flight was uneventful with no alteration to flight characteristics fortunately)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.