Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

transfers/baggage for phx/lax/bne/mel flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Next March flying in one day from phx/lax on delta, lax/bne on va, bne/mel on va. This is all on delta award. I hope delta will check my baggage thru to mel. When we arrive in Bne do we have to have our bags checked by austrilian customs> recheck at Va international, take bus to bne domestic? I would hope we do not have to take our bags on bus?Or do we just get checked in by Austrilian customs in Mel? Thanks
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:33 am

Programs: UA & DL Gold
Originally Posted by bruceatf
Next March flying in one day from phx/lax on delta, lax/bne on va, bne/mel on va. This is all on delta award. I hope delta will check my baggage thru to mel. When we arrive in Bne do we have to have our bags checked by austrilian customs> recheck at Va international, take bus to bne domestic? I would hope we do not have to take our bags on bus?Or do we just get checked in by Austrilian customs in Mel? Thanks
Hello,

I haven't connected in BNE specifically, but I have flown through that airport (domestically) and the airport itself looks like SYD on a smaller scale, so I would imagine it is the same:
  • Upon arrival in BNE you will exit the plane, clear passport control (use the smart gate if your passport as the RFID chip)
  • After clearing passport control, you will pick up your bags and proceed through AU customs. Side note: DO NOT bring any food. If you can eat it, throw it away prior to entry. It's not worth the hassle and anything with seeds/stems is not allowed at all.
  • After clearing customs, follow signs to VA check-in. They will take your bags back
  • They will give you a bus voucher to get you over to the domestic terminal
  • Inside the domestic terminal, clear the AU TSA equivalent

The key factor is whether or not DL tags your bags to MEL. They should do it if it's all on one ticket (even if it's not, they should, VA is their partner.) If for some reason your bags aren't tagged, you have to take them to the domestic terminal yourself and checkin over there.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

thanks

Hi DeBracey,

Thanks for your response to my request. It surely was more than I was aware of in regard to au transfers. Hope I can help you some day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.