Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Pilot on Wrong ATL Taxiiway Loses Cool

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/audi...oller-24735082

Exchange between tower and DL 2422 [07/25/2014].

Delta says they are "looking into this exchange" but that "Delta's values call for courtesy and professionalism in everything [we] do."

Last edited by LegalTender; Jul 27, 2014 at 8:34 pm
Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
I think ABCNews meant JFK. DL2242 is daily JFK-SAT service. It is mainline 737-800, so no blame-passing on to a connection carrier.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
It was most definitely ATL. It was a flight from ATL-CLT. If you pay attention to the recording you can hear the controller give them information from CLT ATC. The controller also referred to taxiway Delta as "Dixie"; that is unique to ATL.

Anyway this pilot was way out line. I think it may have something to do with Delta having the attitude they are above other airlines and that is starting to become apparent in employee attitudes.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

Anyway this pilot was way out line. I think it may have something to do with Delta having the attitude they are above other airlines and that is starting to become apparent in employee attitudes.
What a ridiculous comment. Of course the pilot was out of line, but every airline has a few outliers. The vast majority of Delta pilots are courteous and professional.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Panam Clipper
What a ridiculous comment. Of course the pilot was out of line, but every airline has a few outliers. The vast majority of Delta pilots are courteous and professional.
They just seem to have lost a lot of humility since bankruptcy. I had a friend who recently flew DXB-ATL and he said the FO was the pilot flying and really told off one of the other crew members after a harmless joke was played on her. You shouldn't act that way in front of passengers; save it until you get on the ground.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:12 pm

So you are offering one piece of hearsay to reach the conclusion that Delta has "the attitude they are above other airlines and that is starting to become apparent in employee attitudes"?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I think it may have something to do with Delta having the attitude they are above other airlines and that is starting to become apparent in employee attitudes.
That is freaking nuts.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Panam Clipper
So you are offering one piece of hearsay to reach the conclusion that Delta has "the attitude they are above other airlines and that is starting to become apparent in employee attitudes"?
Why are you acting so defensive? It's just my opinion. I've never claimed anything as fact. I just remember before Delta tried to change their image to a "big global airline" things were different. I remember some pilots giving tours of ATL during taxi and giving details of such buildings like Tech-Ops. That doesn't happen anymore; at least in my experience.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
They just seem to have lost a lot of humility since bankruptcy. I had a friend who recently flew DXB-ATL and he said the FO was the pilot flying and really told off one of the other crew members after a harmless joke was played on her. You shouldn't act that way in front of passengers; save it until you get on the ground.
That's a 777 route, right? I know a Captain on that aircraft who would be happy to be sure those folks get whatever added training is needed. Since you said the route & female FO that narrows it down, thanks.

ETA: I know a few people who work DL ramp control at ATL who listened to the tape and said this guy is not typical.

Last edited by PRWeezer; Jul 27, 2014 at 9:54 pm
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PRWeezer
That's a 777 route, right? I know a Captain on that aircraft who would be happy to be sure those folks get whatever added training is needed. Since you said the route & female FO that narrows it down, thanks.
^ That's very nice of you. Thank you.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

"Settle down, Captain Happy."

lol
Old Jul 27, 2014, 10:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
I think it may have something to do with Delta having the attitude they are above other airlines and that is starting to become apparent in employee attitudes.
My goodness gracious, to use an old Southern expression favored by my late mother, you are way off base.

The Delta people, in my experience as a 2.7 Million Miler now, are at the top of their game again. And the pilots, in particular, have been what held this airline together through both bankruptcy and the threatened USAir takeover bid. They also worked very professionally to smooth out the merger with NW. I just can't come up with a bad thing to say about Delta pilots.

I don't understand your agenda, but you are just wrong.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Robert Leach
My goodness gracious, to use an old Southern expression favored by my late mother, you are way off base.
This is what I said. I bolded the most important word.

I think it may have something to do...
It just seems there has been some odd behavior from Delta employees being reported lately.

I just remember during the Ch. 11 days, which is when I started flying DL a lot, the pilots gave out a lot of thank you's and "we really appreciate you choosing Delta" to the passengers. They seemed very sincere. Since around 2009 or so I can't remember when I've heard anything more than a "Thanks for choosing Delta".

It just feels that DL now thinks they have a halo over them. An example would be the lackluster JFK T4 of which to hear DL describe it gives the Taj Mahal a run for its money. In reality, it is nothing special at all. They are sitting pretty right now but if history is any indicator of the future they will fall on hard times again.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:06 pm

Just listened to the exchange. What a big fat case of nothing! Nothing to see here...move on.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:35 pm

Programs: DL DM and 1.5 MM, UA GM, HH DM
Originally Posted by emrdoc
Just listened to the exchange. What a big fat case of nothing! Nothing to see here...move on.
+1... the back and forth banter in this thread was more lively than the recording

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.