Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

GA Stops Man from Boarding for Drinking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GA Stops Man from Boarding for Drinking

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:02 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
First, let me say I am not providing anyone legal advice and if you have issues with this, go seek your own lawyer.

As a friendly addition to this discussion, I believe you are all making reference to the .04BAC limitation placed upon crew members. You can find this at FAR 91.17(a)(4). From a plain language reading of the rule, it appears the .04BAC is referring only to crew members and not to the general flying public.

I did a little research on cases interpreting FAR 121.575 and did not find a standard for BAC of passengers as to whether they should be allowed to board or not. On the contrary, the cases recognized the difficulty associated with determining whether someone is "drunk"/intoxicated or has merely been drinking.

If I may add my own opinion, FAR 121.575 is like every other dram shop law that requires a bartender not to serve an intoxicated person. It goes farther in saying that an intoxicated person is not allowed to fly. FAR 91.17 also adds that a captain may not allow an intoxicated person to fly. Although some of us may have experience with pax boarding while intoxicated or becoming intoxicated inflight, just because it has happened or happens all the time does not mean the rules are being followed.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:53 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Are we sure the gate agent asked if the gentleman had been drinking alcohol ?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:58 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by flyerCO
It's not written in the law. However based on FAA actions and legal enforcement, they consider .04BAC to be legally drunk. Remember the grounds is appearing intoxicated, a BAC is one of many pieces of information a crew member can use to determine if they appear intoxicated.

However, as I posted above, absent a police officer doing a breath test there's no way for crew to know. The only times I've known of enforcement action, based on BAC, is when the police were called out and did a field test. In those cases the crew/pilot was clearly aware of what the persons BAC was.
Cite, please. .04 is the maximum for a flight crew member, not a passenger and half that for imposing a charge of driving while impaired.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:26 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by sethb
People are legally allowed to drive at .07, so it make no sense to say that they're too drunk to sit.
This is incorrect. While one is legally considered impaired at .08, one can be considered impaired at a lower rate. You will be considered impaired at .08, you can be deemed impaired at a lower rate. There is a legal level of intoxication, but below that isn't definitive sobriety. The law is inclusionary, not exclusionary. While I've been reading this thread, I didn't want to get sucked back into posting. However, that statement needed to be set straight, pardon the pun.

Last edited by CJKatl; Jul 29, 2014 at 5:35 am
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by exwannabe
So why does the FAA not pull the operating license for DL, UA, AA, WN, CA, BR, LU, KE, CI, AF ...?

All of these will serve a third drink which will put the pax over .04.

Your argument that the pax is held to the same standard as the pilot is laughable.
Remember the standard is appearing/is intoxicated. A BAC over .04 is considered by the FAA intoxicated, regardless of how the person appears. However, a BAC is NOT generally going to be available to them. As I pointed out absent a cop doing a breath test at the gate/airport no one will know what the persons BAC is. The only two cases I'm aware of involved a police officer testing a person on grounds of possible public intoxication. Since it was below the state limit they couldn't be arrested. However the FAA found that since they had greater then .04 and the pilot knew of it that they were in violation of the rule.

It's just like selling cigarettes in a state that prohibits third party sales (you can't buy for someone else). As long as the seller is not aware you're buying for someone else they've not violated the law. They are however liable if they're aware that you're buying for someone else.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by CJKatl
This is incorrect. While one is legally considered impaired at .08, one can be considered impaired at a lower rate. You will be considered impaired at .08, you can be deemed impaired at a lower rate. There is a legal level of intoxication, but below that isn't definitive sobriety. The law is inclusionary, not exclusionary. While I've been reading this thread, I didn't want to get sucked back into posting. However, that statement needed to be set straight, pardon the pun.
It is perfectly correct - you ARE legally allowed to drive with a BAC of 0.07. However, IF you drive in a reckless manner you CAN be charged with DUI in most states. The question of sobriety (or impairment) is then left to the judge and/or jury based on the behavioral facts. In the case of a 0.08 or higher, it is prima fascia evidence of impairment and no additional facts are required.

It's a curious part of the law (in most states) - when you reach the magic below 0.04, in some cases, you are NOT impaired and cannot be charged with DUI - Alcohol - you can be charged with a variety of traffic violations up to and including reckless driving. In the case of an accident, well, then all bets are off regarding liability and charges, but DUI is off the table (absent drugs of course).

There are exceptions - underage drivers and drivers holding commercial licenses and driving a commercial vehicle. No need to show impairment at BACs at 0.01, 0.02, or 0.04 depending on the person.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Remember the standard is appearing/is intoxicated. A BAC over .04 is considered by the FAA intoxicated, regardless of how the person appears. However, a BAC is NOT generally going to be available to them. As I pointed out absent a cop doing a breath test at the gate/airport no one will know what the persons BAC is. The only two cases I'm aware of involved a police officer testing a person on grounds of possible public intoxication. Since it was below the state limit they couldn't be arrested. However the FAA found that since they had greater then .04 and the pilot knew of it that they were in violation of the rule.

It's just like selling cigarettes in a state that prohibits third party sales (you can't buy for someone else). As long as the seller is not aware you're buying for someone else they've not violated the law. They are however liable if they're aware that you're buying for someone else.
Its "12 hours from the bottle to the throttle", not "12 hours from the bottle to a seat in the back".

If you're drunk enough to get a public intox, then you're too drunk to be on a plane. That amount is going to vary from person to person. But it is well above .04

Last edited by Zeeb; Jul 29, 2014 at 7:51 am
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:46 am

Remember the standard is appearing/is intoxicated. A BAC over .04 is considered by the FAA intoxicated,
IF you are crew.

It's just like selling cigarettes in a state that prohibits third party sales (you can't buy for someone else)...
IF the someone else is a minor.

Congratulations on providing the perfectly aligned analogy.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Remember the standard is appearing/is intoxicated. A BAC over .04 is considered by the FAA intoxicated, regardless of how the person appears.
I'm still waiting for a citation showing that the FAA considers BAC over .04 intoxicated for a passenger. There has yet to be one provided.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by sethb
I'm still waiting for a citation showing that the FAA considers BAC over .04 intoxicated for a passenger. There has yet to be one provided.
+1
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Its "12 hours from the bottle to the throttle", not "12 hours from the bottle to a seat in the back".
My record is 12 minutes - from SC to BIS in FC...do I win?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by Bicostal
My record is 12 minutes - from SC to BIS in FC...do I win?
Nope, I've done it even faster than that in ATL when my gate was right below the SkyClub. Finished the drink in the club, walked down to the gate and boarded, took my seat in FC, and ordered another drink.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by thesaints
Are we sure the gate agent asked if the gentleman had been drinking alcohol ?
Yes, I am quite sure she said, "Did you drink alcohol?" His answer was "yes".
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
Nope, I've done it even faster than that in ATL when my gate was right below the SkyClub. Finished the drink in the club, walked down to the gate and boarded, took my seat in FC, and ordered another drink.
OK - will need to practice - traveling tomorrow....I have to work on my timing of the gate lice and jetway congestion better - there's a sweet spot....Just before SKY is called on the trailing edge of FC. That or wait to the very end - but then there's that pesky overhead space issue.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by Mrdonut
Would it change the scenario if we were told the passenger was a non-rev employee? They may have rules of conduct for their employees when they are flying on the company dime.
IIRC they formerly were required to wear business attire during non-rev travel. Perhaps the rules are simply "no alcohol" since individuals have differing opinions about what amount of booze is reasonable. Having a "zero tolerance" policy avoids the need to negotiate.
Since the traveler gave up so easily (according to OP), it made me think there's something non-sinister going on. Just my two cents...
Logical possibility IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.